The Veganism Thread

Odinson

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I show you a film about the benefits of a healthy, balanced, meat inclusive diet will you change your perception of food again?

Just watch the Rogan podcast with Chris Kresser. Ex vegan, actual nutritionist, no skin in the game actually agrees about the exploitation of animals... Just watch it.

Side note: one of my teenage athletes had a sudden massive dip in form. Anyone want to guess why? All good now. No red meat involved in the solution.

Just watch the Rogan podcast with Chris Kresser. Ex vegan, actual nutritionist, no skin in the game actually agrees about the exploitation of animals... Just watch it.

Side note: one of my teenage athletes had a sudden massive dip in form. Anyone want to guess why? All good now. No red meat involved in the solution.

but was there seafood... :P

They took on a Atkins or Banting diet?

I saw it recently and also thought it was interesting.

There is a lot of criticism against it as well.

E.g.

Apparently the gladiators were overweight as this has an advantage when being cut - you cut a layer of fat rather than muscle / organs.

The middleman theory - animals can process and convert things we can't. If the middleman theory is 100% true then we should be able to survive solely on grass like cows. But we aren't cows.

Go check what that strongman eats in a day - I'm sure he takes supplements, e.g. vegan protein powder and probably B12.

Vegetables can provide the protein but generally you need more veggies than meat to get the same amount and profile, plus it usually comes with a lot more carbs. I'm sure with the right foods and amounts you can be healthy and perform well on a vegetarian / vegan diet. 

I think that minimizing your footprint on the planet is a good thing. Use less and waste less. Plastic is especially bad. The way we are living isn't sustainable ito resources.

Ye i agree with you - the movie was made pro vegan so i suppose in the same context a pro meat movie would counteract what they say.

They did say however that both Vegan and meat eaters should be supplementing B12 as its the one thing that is removed as a result of all the pesticides used in crop farming.

I found it more interesting from the blood perspective though - If the blood is cleaned and cardio system repaired as quickly as they say it does then maybe not a bad idea to go vegan for a few days or weeks at a time.

Since my post i spoke with a guy who went vegan but still indulges the odd steak - He tells me that when he eats meat he can now feel the physical effects, its like when you cut down alcohol and then suddenly you go out on a p@#$%up the barbie feels a 100 times worse.

So i suppose the analogy that there is nothing bad with our indulgences as long as they done in moderation is correct. 

They took on a Atkins or Banting diet?

You will never guess how close you are to the truth, given how terrible lack of carbs exclusively is for top end sportspeople too.

Jus Ocean Baskets 'mix veg' is expensive. R60 for 2 portions is just crazy when the vegetables is only worth R15.....I'd like to know how the vegan restaurants prices compare??

Are normal restaurants not losing money when they can't cater for vegans. We're defenitely going to give that lexis restaurant a try.

I've recently discovered 'gluton'

I heard that it can be bad. Gluton is rich in the amino acids PROLINE and GLUTAMINE. This group of toxic proteins are collectively called prolamins. Gluton is in all the things I eat like RYE, WHEAT and BARLEY (beer)

Should I try and avoid it? According to South Park(S18E 02) it is very dangerous.

I've recently discovered 'gluton'

I heard that it can be bad. Gluton is rich in the amino acids PROLINE and GLUTAMINE. This group of toxic proteins are collectively called prolamins. Gluton is in all the things I eat like RYE, WHEAT and BARLEY (beer)

Should I try and avoid it? According to South Park(S18E 02) it is very dangerous.

I'm not sure if you should be using South Park for research purposes.

I'm not sure if you should be using South Park for research purposes.

Why not? It's as good as any of the non peer reviewed, misattributed, unscientific studies that are quoted as evidence.

Statement 1: South Park say gluten bad.

Statement 2: gluten can actually be bad according to science.

Therefore, South Park is scientifically accurate.

#modernthickening

Sorry, I meant #modernthinking

Why not? It's as good as any of the non peer reviewed, misattributed, unscientific studies that are quoted as evidence.

Statement 1: South Park say gluten bad.

Statement 2: gluten can actually be bad according to science.

Therefore, South Park is scientifically accurate.

#modernthickening

Sorry, I meant #modernthinking

Scary times

Well lets do some more science. Gluton is only found in wheat grains, a vegan food source. So veganism must be bad. Eat meat. Peer reviewed by other healthy meat eaters.

Gluten...

It's Gluten.

A very low percentage of the world's population are intolerant to Gluten.

Although, for those that are, the symptoms can be debilitating: similar to IBS but the consequences are far worse.

Well lets do some more science. Gluton is only found in wheat grains, a vegan food source. So veganism must be bad. Eat meat. Peer reviewed by other healthy meat eaters.

I'm sure you get the same amount of gluten in as I do. It's not really a vegan thing as I eat the same amount of bread as I did in the past.

I know I consume less gluton for breakfast as I don't eat cereals for breakfast anymore. All cereals contain malt for flavor enhancement and thickening.

Now I eat Oats and sorghum for breakfast, but I read that oats contain very little gluton.