The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Then why bother with the pamphlets? Build a website or social media page instead.

Edited by DR ◣◢

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the thing. I dont want to be preachy, nor do I want to be an activist. I dont have anything to gain like a charity. So by giving them the pamphlet I can save them time so that they dont have to listen to me because ultimately there's a chance that they are going to get pissed. They then have the option to read my pamphlet or not.

People dont change until they feel the need to want to. Very true, it took 8 months for my one friend to finally do a bit of research on the topic and now he's a vegetarian for 2 months.

The majority of pamphlets go straight in the bin. Not very vegan.

You'll be treated like a street preacher / evangelical nutter or similar.

Thats the thing. I dont want to be preachy, nor do I want to be an activist. I dont have anything to gain like a charity. So by giving them the pamphlet I can save them time so that they dont have to listen to me because ultimately there's a chance that they are going to get pissed. They then have the option to read my pamphlet or not.

People dont change until they feel the need to want to. Very true, it took 8 months for my one friend to finally do a bit of research on the topic and now he's a vegetarian for 2 months.

You don't want to be preachy nor an activist, yet you do feel strongly enough to want to hand out pamphlets. Which is fine. Not all vegan activists need to spray people with fake blood and whatever other visceral performace. You can be the chilled kind.

And as captain says the majority will go in the bin. But if a single one gets read and that's good enough for you, then go for it. It's not for us to set your personal goals.

You will need to blow up a McDonalds or something and plant vegetables in the crater....
No-one will take you seriously otherwise....The bigger the bang, the better the reaction...
Be Strong Brother....

I read the last three pages while chowing droe wors and gotta say I'm no closer to considering veganism than I was this morning 

Right now the approach to converting people is a way bigger problem than making the actual change ...for me at least 

You will need to blow up a McDonalds or something and plant vegetables in the crater....

No-one will take you seriously otherwise....The bigger the bang, the better the reaction...

Be Strong Brother....

That’s explains that crater outside Delmas!

Another 1.3 kilos down, BMI under 29 now (yeah i am still a fat bastard) 

A couple of other observations: (whether actual or psychosomatic i cant say) 

1. While running now my upper HR can go higher than before. (could be a garmin issue and it is as much as 8 to 10% higher) 

2. Last week i was able to run on 3 concurrent days. Recovery seems much imrpoved. 

3. Last one is strange , i used to get pins and needles in my left arm regualrly, now almost never. 

All too early to make any irrefutable claims but it is a positive step. 

I'm pretty sure its proven that a plant based diet is much better for exercise recovery.

(Not to mention the weight loss will make it easier on your joints etc)

Joburg non-meat eaters. If you are missing a chicken mayo sandwich, may I suggest The Fussy Vegan's Tofu Bacon Sub.

To be honest the fake bacon can be left off, and to compare it to chicken mayo is unfair because its actually far far tastier, but that tofu-mayo creation they have made is unbelievably delicious.

I respect your beliefs and wanting to promote veganism, it is refreshing to see a young person standing up for something that they endorse and wanting to educate others.

I must confess I haven't read all your posts but is animal rights one of the reasons you wish to promote veganism?

Perhaps consider also volunteering at a local animal shelter if you have the spare time, they often need extra hands. 

I respect your beliefs and wanting to promote veganism, it is refreshing to see a young person standing up for something that they endorse and wanting to educate others.

I must confess I haven't read all your posts but is animal rights one of the reasons you wish to promote veganism?

Perhaps consider also volunteering at a local animal shelter if you have the spare time, they often need extra hands.

Vegans don't want to get involved in helping animals, I do have a soft spot for dogs. Vegans rather want to end animal abuse, so that includes things like not buying your dog from a breeder.

I was at a local animal shelter once. Not really anything I can do for them except giving them a bath which I was instructed to do. Donating will be better.

Believe me when I say that vegans dont want to be seen as animal lovers.

The pamphlet idea isn't a good idea but reading about animal abuse isnt affective and will make people lose interest. They would need to watch a documentary if they truly cared.

Quick question.

As part of mass farming for fruit and vegetables many animals are killed and displaced to make way for fields.

During the harvesting many small animals gruesomely killed by harvesters.

This is as cruel as the rest of the farming industry right? How do vegans feel about this? Your veggie diet isn’t cruelty free at all.

Another 1.3 kilos down, BMI under 29 now (yeah i am still a fat bastard)

What is your current weight?

How much do you want to lose?

Quick question.

As part of mass farming for fruit and vegetables many animals are killed and displaced to make way for fields.

During the harvesting many small animals gruesomely killed by harvesters.

This is as cruel as the rest of the farming industry right? How do vegans feel about this? Your veggie diet isn’t cruelty free at all.

This is easy to refute because most of the worlds grain is fed to livestock.

Yet again you guys only eat humane

'grass-fed' beef.

Lets not be cynical, are you referring to critters or 'sentient' animals?

So how many rodents, and other critters are killed, hundreds thousand?

In Thailand a lot of ducks are shot and poisoned as pests of rice crops.

The rice paddys ducks they kill in Thailand is just part of animal control

just like the rodents they kill.

Yes, my diet still kills animals etc.

BUT my diet isnt responsible for global warming, draughts, pollution, causing a pandemic.

The vegan answer, 'The goal to make the smallest impact as possible.'

Lets look at what Animal farming has done. Animal farming has killed almost the entire Great Barrier coral reef in Australia.

Some farms in Thailand have embraced the ducks. But, again we're just using them as tools and I shudder at thought of how they're kept for the time they're not being used. I don't agree with this practice.

I just remember laughing at how excited they were to hit the paddy.