Sram GX / XO1 / XX1 12 Speed mileage

ct_rider

SRAM's chain upgrade to 12 speed was excellent; 11 speed XX1 didn't get the same mileage.

If you are looking for something more subtle they do sell the XX1 12sp chain in black.

madness - shinny shiny bling bling - the gold has special metal which outlasts the black and did I mention it's shiny

I may have made up the gold is stronger part

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5000km up with GX, new chain fitted at about 2000km, hopefully I still can fit another new chain before a new cassette is needed. 

SRAM's chain upgrade to 12 speed was excellent; 11 speed XX1 didn't get the same mileage.

If you are looking for something more subtle they do sell the XX1 12sp chain in black.

I don't think you can be subtle with anything XX1 related ????

Does anyone find the smallest cog wearing before the rest wears out?

I find that often happens on 10sp so I replace them once or twice during the life of the cassette.

Are they replaceable on 11 and 12sp cassettes?

Does anyone find the smallest cog wearing before the rest wears out?

I find that often happens on 10sp so I replace them once or twice during the life of the cassette.

Are they replaceable on 11 and 12sp cassettes?

You probably need to start pedalling a higher cadence! Are you in the smallest cog often?

No they aren't replaceable on Eagle, but I've not heard of anyone having the issue you describe.

The 11s and 12s cassettes are one piece so the 10T sprocket is not replaceable.

Haven't worn it out yet either on 11,or 12s eagle cassette. It's pretty darn hard. Also if you use the 10T a lot then you probably need a bigger chain ring

madness - shinny shiny bling bling - the gold has special metal which outlasts the black and did I mention it's shiny

I may have made up the gold is stronger part

You are actually correct regarding the bling gold lasting longer because it is harder .

That gold color is a titanium nitride coating ( the same stuff they use on drillbits ) that is very hard and therefore lasts longer .

Edited by Milkman

You are actually correct regarding the bling gold lasting longer because it is harder .

That gold color is a titanium nitride coating ( the same stuff they use on drillbits ) that is very hard and therefore lasts longer .

From SRAM's website:

"HARD CHROME™ technology extends the chain’s optimal performance life, and a Titanium Nitride coating on the Gold and Black models decreases corrosion and further reduces friction."

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/xx1-eagle-chain

So unfortunately we don't have that excuse - the gold chain is pure vanity!  I also run gold though..

From SRAM's website:

"HARD CHROME[emoji769] technology extends the chain’s optimal performance life, and a Titanium Nitride coating on the Gold and Black models decreases corrosion and further reduces friction."

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/xx1-eagle-chain

So unfortunately we don't have that excuse - the gold chain is pure vanity! I also run gold though..

Somewhere on this here forum I posted a link about the gold chains. They’re merely “dipped” during the coating process and none of the nitride makes its way in between the rollers/pins where the coating ought to be to make any difference. So yes, pure vanity.

GX Chain : 1000km

TAYA Gold 12s : 300km

XO1: 1800km

XX1 : 500km and still no sign of wear. When fitted the Park Tool Chain checker wouldn't fit at 0.0% wear and it still doesn't.

The XO1 eagle cassette has seen all these chains and all chaines were replaced at 0.5% wear. At this point the wear is visible because the chain starts to lift off the 42T and 50T sprockets about half way around the chain wrap.

lesson: buy an XX1 chain. I don't know anyone who is using one that has replaced it yet. I even have on on my road bike now

Any experience of the KMC X12-TI Gold?  I've seen the higher end KMC chains seem to do much better than their Ultegra counterparts in 10/11sp, but the quality of the XX1 12sp chain is difficult to beat.  Could they still be better than the GX 12sp?

Running on a 3 Chain Cycle per cassette (Meaning swapping chains 1-3 at 0.5, then restarting on the 1st chain and swapping at 0.75 and then an additional 1000km per chain again) 

Currently at 13500km with 2 chains still left to complete their 1000km cycle so should get about 15000km out of the combo and still no slipping gears due to the chains being in sync with the cassette wear :thumbup:

That's very encouraging.  My XX1 chain has 1350km and nowhere near the 0.5 mark.  I bought a spare on Black Friday and will follow your method once the first one reaches 0.5.

Any experience of the KMC X12-TI Gold?  I've seen the higher end KMC chains seem to do much better than their Ultegra counterparts in 10/11sp, but the quality of the XX1 12sp chain is difficult to beat.  Could they still be better than the GX 12sp?

I've used the X11-Ti Gold on my road bike before the XX1 was fitted. The X-11 had about 8000km on it so about the same as the XTR/Dura Ace 11speed chain. The Gold coating isn't very thick and wears off within 1500km. However its about R150 cheaper than the XTR so for the same mileage its still better value and blingier.

BUT, the XX1 shifts so crisply I doubt I will use anything else going forward  (excuse the pun)

You probably need to start pedalling a higher cadence! Are you in the smallest cog often?

No they aren't replaceable on Eagle, but I've not heard of anyone having the issue you describe.

The 11s and 12s cassettes are one piece so the 10T sprocket is not replaceable.

Haven't worn it out yet either on 11,or 12s eagle cassette. It's pretty darn hard. Also if you use the 10T a lot then you probably need a bigger chain ring

That is a good point, a bigger chainring would keep me in the bigger cogs for longer, I do run smaller chain rings than most people. That being said on 1x setups people do run a far smaller chain ring than the largest they would typically be running on a 2x setup, almost unavoidable?

That is a lot of mileage -cK-! what bike / group set you riding?

On my training bike

32T Absolute Black Oval Chainring

11speed GX Cassette

PC1110 SRAM Chains

Doing the same with my XX1 combo on my XCM race bike granted the mileage is lower due to only using it in races but on at about 3500km and still on my 2nd KMC chain only (close to swapping to 3rd though)

That is a good point, a bigger chainring would keep me in the bigger cogs for longer, I do run smaller chain rings than most people. That being said on 1x setups people do run a far smaller chain ring than the largest they would typically be running on a 2x setup, almost unavoidable?

good question and I think its a matter of when people switch to 1x drive train they don;t feel confident the range of gearing that they have available so they er on the side of caution.

Example, when I switched from 2x10 to 1x11, I was running  a 42/28 front chainset.

and 11/36 cassette.

So the mistake I made was looking at the two extremes and calculating the high and low gear options and comparing that to what I could achieve with a 30 or 32 or 34T chainring on 1x.

28/36 = 0.77

32/42 = 0.761

34/42 = 0.809

so opted for the 32T chainring. 

What I didn't do but should have was look at the gears I used the most and then matched the 1X chainring with the 10-42 cassette to the drivetrain I was coming from. 

so on the 28 when climbing I would be in the 32 and 28t sprockets.

28/32 = 0.875

28/28 = 1

the 11 speed XG1195 cassette goes 10;12;14;16;18;21;24;28;32;36;42

so equivalent gears would be

32/36 = 0.88

32/32 = 1

so it worked out fine that I opted for the 32 coming from a SRAM 2x10 to a SRAM 1x11 then to 1x12.

On the top end gear 

42/11 = 3.81 vs 32/10 = 3.2

clearly smaller  but I never used the 42x11 anyway! but it still factored into my thinking.

I was actually only ever using the 42x12 which is  3.5 and even then very rarely.

42/14 is 3.0 so the 32 Chainring looked more promising and I would end up using all of the available gears.

I don;t think many people get in the details around the swap from 2x10 to 1x11 and get tripped up with a chainring that's too big e.g the 34. It doesn't help that many XC bikes ship with a 34T chainring fitted when the average rider is likely only suited to a 30 or 32 on a 29er

I like to replace my 1X MTB chain each 1,500 km. After 3000km my Eagle shows much less wear than 11 speed previously. On the 3,000km / 3rd chain on 11 speed I had to replace the chainring, which was not necessary on Eagle.

So a chain every 3 to 4 months, that is a bit much is it not?

Edited by TDFN

good question and I think its a matter of when people switch to 1x drive train they don;t feel confident the range of gearing that they have available so they er on the side of caution.

Example, when I switched from 2x10 to 1x11, I was running  a 42/28 front chainset.

and 11/36 cassette.

So the mistake I made was looking at the two extremes and calculating the high and low gear options and comparing that to what I could achieve with a 30 or 32 or 34T chainring on 1x.

28/36 = 0.77

32/42 = 0.761

34/42 = 0.809

so opted for the 32T chainring. 

What I didn't do but should have was look at the gears I used the most and then matched the 1X chainring with the 10-42 cassette to the drivetrain I was coming from. 

so on the 28 when climbing I would be in the 32 and 28t sprockets.

28/32 = 0.875

28/28 = 1

the 11 speed XG1195 cassette goes 10;12;14;16;18;21;24;28;32;36;42

so equivalent gears would be

32/36 = 0.88

32/32 = 1

so it worked out fine that I opted for the 32 coming from a SRAM 2x10 to a SRAM 1x11 then to 1x12.

On the top end gear 

42/11 = 3.81 vs 32/10 = 3.2

clearly smaller  but I never used the 42x11 anyway! but it still factored into my thinking.

I was actually only ever using the 42x12 which is  3.5 and even then very rarely.

42/14 is 3.0 so the 32 Chainring looked more promising and I would end up using all of the available gears.

I don;t think many people get in the details around the swap from 2x10 to 1x11 and get tripped up with a chainring that's too big e.g the 34. It doesn't help that many XC bikes ship with a 34T chainring fitted when the average rider is likely only suited to a 30 or 32 on a 29er

With 32 x 46 at the back ,you should be able to ride everything .32 x 50 is so slow ,you will struggle to keep upright .I reckon the smallest in front with a 50 at the back should be a 34 or even better a 36 oval .I am going to try out 1 x 12 this desember .Currently on 34 x 11 -46 .Top end on 32 x 10 is also to slow imo