Salary payment advice needed

Vetplant

How long should that take? My father passed away on 7 November, but Citadel keeps telling me they have not been appointed yet as executor... it's been 15 weeks, feels like someone is not doing their job?

Jeez dude you not having a good time at the moment. Let's hope the new offer is a sign of got things to come.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez dude you not having a good time at the moment. Let's hope the new offer is a sign of got things to come.

Nah, 2019 is fine, you should have seen the 2018 I had  ;). A really tough year makes the smaller things seem more manageable.

But thanks for the good wishes.

I can ride my bike, my wife and 2 daughters are happy to see me when I step in the door.

All is good.

People want to know what offer they can make you that you will take, they don't want to offer you way too much or way too little. You want to pay someone as little as possible that would prevent you from looking for another job...

In my current situation I should probably take whatever offer they bring to the table, even if it is a 20% pay-cut, just to ensure the bond and medical aid is paid and there is food on the table. From there I can then look for better paying opportunities if this offer isn't perfect.

Don't do that, don't undercut your worth because of the situation. You have a skill that someone wants. Urgently. Use that opportunity to sell yourself and earn more. 

but if you work it elsewhere you are guaranteed of being paid?

or are you referring to all the outstanding amounts?

Remember, don't work your notice period. You won't get paid.

but if you work it elsewhere you are guaranteed of being paid?

or are you referring to all the outstanding amounts?

Think he meant I should not stay with my current company for the obliged 30 day notice period, because they haven't paid me for the last 60 days already, so they won't pay me for the next 30 either, unless something dramatically changes, which is unlikely. 

Plan is to start as soon as possible at the other place, which is then "guaranteed" income. I will sell the old company some consulting time in my spare time if they need some things to be handed over.

You can give 24h notice, not much your employer can do. They can take you to court if they think the business will suffer a loss. This will never happen. They are also not allowed to withhold any salaries or leave pay if you give 24h notice.

If you have any accumulated leave make sure you get paid, or burn them at the CCMA.

:cursing:  Their offer comes in at 13% lower than my current salary, I have asked them to reconsider, as I am shooting myself in the foot if I take that offer. 

But 87% of a salary is better than my current 0% income, which could again become 100% with all the back pay, but all of which is currently unconfirmed and at risk.

It's easy to talk all bravado ahead of time but taking a 13% knock when moving to a new job is never easy.

Will chat with my Minister of Home Affairs and see what makes sense for us.

Thanks for all the advice guys and gals.

:cursing: Their offer comes in at 13% lower than my current salary, I have asked them to reconsider, as I am shooting myself in the foot if I take that offer.

But 87% of a salary is better than my current 0% income, which could again become 100% with all the back pay, but all of which is currently unconfirmed and at risk.

It's easy to talk all bravado ahead of time but taking a 13% knock when moving to a new job is never easy.

Ask for a mock up payslip and see how your nett salary compares. Maybe you fall in a different tax bracket.

Is that offer after they saw your payslip?

This practice of “let’s see how little we can get this person for” is so outdated and so stupid, especially when the person concerned knows it and feels undervalued from day one. Such a short sighted approach.

Congrats Swift, but for what reason is your last payslip needed for a new job? Surely that should have no bearing on your current situation?

HR normally requires it to see how much tax you have already paid thus financial year and then calculate how much you need to pay for the rest of the year on your new salary.

But it does seem that they made you a lowball offer base on your last salary ... which I wouldn't accept. IMHO you should have discussed salary with them in the interview.

Is that offer after they saw your payslip?

This practice of “let’s see how little we can get this person for” is so outdated and so stupid, especially when the person concerned knows it and feels undervalued from day one. Such a short sighted approach.

I can not agree more, it is BS. Pay the person what he or she is worth wrt the job being done, what they earned previously does not matter.

HR normally requires it to see how much tax you have already paid thus financial year and then calculate how much you need to pay for the rest of the year on your new salary.

But it does seem that they made you a lowball offer base on your last salary ... which I wouldn't accept. IMHO you should have discussed salary with them in the interview.

I made that mistake once and the next time I was asked for a payslip I had the accounts lady make me an inflated one for submission. Negotiations from then on was a bit difficult and I did get a higher offer which I accepted.

Edited by Ed-Zulu

Maybe you can offer them 13% less productivity :whistling:

Having said that - did you discuss KPI's and relevant salary increases?

:cursing:  Their offer comes in at 13% lower than my current salary, I have asked them to reconsider, as I am shooting myself in the foot if I take that offer. 

Did you disclose your current situation to them, or would they already know being in the same industry? Since you've been low balled, I think I already know the answer to that...

Be open with them, tell them that being offered less than you currently earn doesn't exactly make you want to commit 100% to a company and give it your all. You bring a certain amount of value to their business, and the offer needs to reflect that. A lowball also raises questions about their business morals if they're taking advantage of a bad situation.

Failing that, take the offer but ask them to commit to an earnings review (in writing) after you've proved yourself for 6 months. But you really need to gauge how badly they want you so you can judge how hard to push it.

Edited by GrahamS2

Did you disclose your current situation to them, or would they already know being in the same industry? Since you've been low balled, I think I already know the answer to that...

Be open with them, tell them that being offered less than you currently earn doesn't exactly make you want to commit 100% to a company and give it your all. You bring a certain amount of value to their business, and the offer needs to reflect that. A lowball also raises questions about their business morals if they're taking advantage of a bad situation.

Failing that, take the offer but ask them to commit to a earnings review (in writing) after you've proved yourself for 6 months. But you really need to gauge how badly they want you so you can judge how hard to push it.

Same industry, their MD is VERY aware of what is going on at our side. So yeah, they are obviously low-balling. 

I'll take your advice in the last paragraph. The manager of the department dropped some hints that they are sorely under resourced for the work that is coming their way in the next couple of months, so might be worthwhile just to extend the negotiations another day or so... 

On the other hand there are some real prospects of a big amount of money coming into my own department in the next week or so which would be ringfenced for our team for the next 6 months, so also following up on that prospect to land that order ASAP