Bike Hub 2019 Commuters Challenge

Imploder

Joined the challenge yesterday and got one ride on the board...rain stopped play for the afternoon session tho...

Yesterday afternoon's commute home was by far the wettest this year.

Took shortcut home all the way on roads and pavements. At least the bike was clean when we got home.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going directly to work I climb 90m-100m over 8km. Coming home it's 40m-50m for the same route. Can get to work in 20min and home in 15min but usually do it in about 22min and 18min.

I do about 350m on my 28km in to work and just under 500m on my way home...not flat :mellow:

Yesterday afternoon's commute home was by far the wettest this year.

Took shortcut home all the way on roads and pavements. At least the bike was clean when we got home.

I beat the storm home by about 10 min. Going down Rabie the temp dropped suddenly and I almost got blown off the road by a wind gust

Yesterday in the storm was the straightest home - 13 km with 300 ascent.

The funner safer routes (less tar) via the Spruit is anything from 25 - 35km and ascent anything from 400 to a bit over 500.

Going directly to work I climb 90m-100m over 8km. Coming home it's 40m-50m for the same route. Can get to work in 20min and home in 15min but usually do it in about 22min and 18min.

I live in Modderfontein now and work in Greenstone Hill.

Most direct route to work is 3.4km with 90m. Going home has 3m of ascent

Longest practical route is 35km with 440m

I beat the storm home by about 10 min. Going down Rabie the temp dropped suddenly and I almost got blown off the road by a wind gust

I managed to get to our estate's gate just as the rain started ( 90mm last night)

I live in Modderfontein now and work in Greenstone Hill.

Most direct route to work is 3.4km with 90m. Going home has 3m of ascent

Longest practical route is 35km with 440m

LOL ja that climb out of modders to stoneridge is nice and long. You can freewheel home.

Judging by the different responses an elevation challenge could have been quite interesting.

If I go straight in/out I only get between 50m and 70m in 15km.

Slight detour and I can up it to 250m - 400m in about 25-30km both ways.

If I really go looking for hills I can get about 500m in 40km in to work, and about 600m in 35km on way home.

Although an elevation challenge would probably tempt one to do unnecessary hill repeats for added measure  :w00t:

https://segmentchallenge.com/challenges/bike-hub-elevation-challenge-2019

Created an elevation challenge but not commute specific. Join the Bike Hub Strava Club then join join the challenge if you are interested. 

Last year I managed close to 70 000m. Aiming for 100 000m this year.

Trying to join the challenge but seems i am challenged.  :lol: Nevermind, got it right. 

I managed 150 000m last year. Aiming to achieve the same again.

Edited by samson99

https://segmentchallenge.com/challenges/bike-hub-elevation-challenge-2019

Created an elevation challenge but not commute specific. Join the Bike Hub Strava Club then join join the challenge if you are interested. 

Last year I managed close to 70 000m. Aiming for 100 000m this year.

Super.  Not a commuting specific challange for this makes more sense.  I in anyway wanted to do more climbing this year so this will help a bit.

How does the challenge work? Do all our rides count? Or are there specific stages?

I think all rides for the year however I think you could set it up as having multiple stages.

I created it as 1 stage for the year so all rides for 2019 however I don't know whether this was the best option.