For the aviation fans

Lotus

This is just one of the spots we can park planes. I will still go and take pics of the other parking areas.

These are on different days but it is pretty much the same aircraft, they get moved around to try accommodate other aircraft that need maintenance. Usually there are 4 maybe 5 planes parked here at any given time. This is why they wanted to use Cape Town for parking but they changed their minds for some reason it seems. The hangers are also full with parked planes.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNGattachicon.gifCapture1.PNG

Before Corona (when there was still an airline industry) I wonder whether they could have leased (sommer with crew if needed) some of these to airlines that had their schedules ruined by the 737Max grounding..

No chance now.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Corona (when there was still an airline industry) I wonder whether they could have leased (sommer with crew if needed) some of these to airlines that had their schedules ruined by the 737Max grounding..

No chance now.

We don't own these, not sure we allowed to sub lease them. But that would have been a great plan, at least get some money in.

Well known South African canoeist Mark Perrow was killed today when the plane he was piloting crashed into a cliff face in the Umkomaas Valley. Not sure if he was the only person on board at the time. RIP Hop.

Well known South African canoeist Mark Perrow was killed today when the plane he was piloting crashed into a cliff face in the Umkomaas Valley. Not sure if he was the only person on board at the time. RIP Hop.

Sad news, not survivable and he was solo, possibly spectating a canoe race below Josephine's Bridge; Canoeists saw the crash into cliffs. RIP.

@Long Wheel Base

I worked last night and said cheers to last international flights im going to see in a while.

Guess your workload is going to be drastically reduced, i assume 75% plus must be long haul aircraft for services/repairs

Going to be an interesting time in our industry now [emoji17]

@Long Wheel Base

I worked last night and said cheers to last international flights im going to see in a while.

Guess your workload is going to be drastically reduced, i assume 75% plus must be long haul aircraft for services/repairs

Going to be an interesting time in our industry now [emoji17]

Yeah when we went from 48 to 19 aircraft due to business rescue it reduced drastically but now it is even lower, especially for the guys on the line that see the aircraft in and out. My work is mainly SAA, Mango and Comair so the flight reduction doesn't affect me directly but I do a lot of work in another section to help some buddies out when my workload is low as I hate sitting around(it is also mostly pc work so I get to have bikehub open without it raising questions..................) and here we are very busy. It is the documentation side. A lot of our "paperwork" these days is on the pc and we have sections that need to compile work packs after work is done. Over the last few years this section has shrunk due to some retiring, 1 guy moved to Oz, one guy got a promotion to another section and no one has been replaced. So luckily I am still able to do 8 hours of work each day.

This is just one of the spots we can park planes. I will still go and take pics of the other parking areas.

These are on different days but it is pretty much the same aircraft, they get moved around to try accommodate other aircraft that need maintenance. Usually there are 4 maybe 5 planes parked here at any given time. This is why they wanted to use Cape Town for parking but they changed their minds for some reason it seems. The hangers are also full with parked planes.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNGattachicon.gifCapture1.PNG

LWB what was the story behind the two TAAG 747's that were parked here for many years. As far as I can remember they were ex-SAA right? 

LWB what was the story behind the two TAAG 747's that were parked here for many years. As far as I can remember they were ex-SAA right?

One was a SP 747 I think?

Flew on one from Luanda to JNB some years ago, it was very old inside and the flight was empty. Heating did not work, it was so cold in the cabin that there was mist coming through the cabin air vents... was well and truly frozen after that flight.

Flew on one from Luanda to JNB some years ago, it was very old inside and the flight was empty. Heating did not work, it was so cold in the cabin that there was mist coming through the cabin air vents... was well and truly frozen after that flight.

Think there was a 747-300 parked as well in TAAG colours.

If I am not mistaken some if not all of SAA SP's went to Trek/Luxavia and Namib Air, both schemes to bypass SAA having to fly around the bulge of Africa back in the day,

This CV situation is a bit concerning from a work perspective, especially as I'm starting a new job on 01 April (yes April fools)...

European Union Closes Borders As Flight Restrictions Tighten

The European Union (EU) last night implemented new travel restrictions excluding most non-EU citizens from entering its member states for at least 30 days. The ban will not include long-term residents, people working in essential services, diplomats, and cross-border commuters. Also exempt are citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland, as well as the UK, which left the EU in January.

The closure of EU external borders to most non-citizens will create further pressure on cash-strapped airlines, while also limiting the scope for business aircraft flights. Non-EU flight crew will be permitted to cross external and internal EU borders under a commitment to ensure the movement of goods and EU citizens. That said, several EU states, including Italy, Spain, France, Belgium and Germany have imposed lockdowns that prohibit almost all travel within these countries.

The restrictions, confirmed late on March 17, are intended to create uniform rules among the passport-free Schengen zone states. Austria, Hungary, the Czech Republic, and Poland had earlier imposed border restrictions unilaterally.

Meanwhile, Russia closed its border to foreign visitors from March 18. The restriction is due to stay in force at least until May 1.

The European Business Aviation Association (EBAA) said it respects the decision by the EU to suspend border access while calling on the European Commission, EU member states, and Switzerland to provide relief measures for the business aviation sector, which it says employs over 370,000 people in Europe. "In this crisis, one area of the business aviation sector—medical flights—should be clearly exempt from any restrictions, as they help save lives. On average, European business aviation operates no less than 70 medical flights per day," said the group in a March 17 statement. 

"It is still too early to fully evaluate the extent of the crisis's impact on the business aviation sector. But we have been receiving reports of operators' aircraft grounded, airport closures, and staff being put on leave across Europe due to the rapidly evolving crisis and travel restrictions,"  commented EBAA secretary-general Athar Husain Khan.

I am having a hard time figuring out why BA and Lufthansa keep flying into Cape Town (I had two BA-747's pass overhead this morning, and saw a Lufthansa A340 off in the distance. I coulda sworn Ramaphosa closed the borders to any and all flights from the UK and Deutschland? And while typing Emirates is on final approach...

So why are all these planes still coming in daily? In the week I also saw a B787 from Delta come overhead. US is also on the Persona non Grata list?

post-103677-0-95575000-1584781579_thumb.png

I am having a hard time figuring out why BA and Lufthansa keep flying into Cape Town (I had two BA-747's pass overhead this morning, and saw a Lufthansa A340 off in the distance. I coulda sworn Ramaphosa closed the borders to any and all flights from the UK and Deutschland? And while typing Emirates is on final approach...

So why are all these planes still coming in daily? In the week I also saw a B787 from Delta come overhead. US is also on the Persona non Grata list?

attachicon.gif2020-03-21 11_04_32-Flightradar24_ Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map.png

Probably arriving empty and to take their citizens back home... just a guess