For the aviation fans

Lotus

I am having a hard time figuring out why BA and Lufthansa keep flying into Cape Town (I had two BA-747's pass overhead this morning, and saw a Lufthansa A340 off in the distance. I coulda sworn Ramaphosa closed the borders to any and all flights from the UK and Deutschland? And while typing Emirates is on final approach...

So why are all these planes still coming in daily? In the week I also saw a B787 from Delta come overhead. US is also on the Persona non Grata list?

attachicon.gif2020-03-21 11_04_32-Flightradar24_ Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map.png

Only saffers allowed off, if for some reason anyone else on the flight. They also have to fly in to get the tourist back home

My first day back at work since travel restrictions started. We now have a form we fill in for any flight from high/medium risk countries. Then have to contact health services for every one of these flights as well before they land

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LWB what was the story behind the two TAAG 747's that were parked here for many years. As far as I can remember they were ex-SAA right? 

Sorry for the late response, haven't been at work.

D2-TEA and D2-TEB were the 2 TAAG B747-300s that were parked here for looooong time before being chopped up. They had been retired and just left here for some reason. Guess because we just do as the government tells us to.

Probably arriving empty and to take their citizens back home... just a guess

As well as South Africans who are returning to the country.

There is agreement in the aviation industry to continue to facilitate these movements.

Emirates has actually reversed its decision to ground all aircraft, after countries yesterday asked that flights continue for precisely this reason.

I live in Fourways, under the ORT approach and depart (some) routes, and close to Lanseria.

It's been VERY quiet here since last week.

I live in Fourways, under the ORT approach and depart (some) routes, and close to Lanseria.

It's been VERY quiet here since last week.

There are aircraft parked EVERYWHERE here at Technical. It was full 2 weeks ago but now its even fuller. They literally have narrow bodies parked between wide bodies.

There are aircraft parked EVERYWHERE here at Technical. It was full 2 weeks ago but now its even fuller. They literally have narrow bodies parked between wide bodies.

When i left work last night, there was 3/4 airlinks parked by a hanger in general aviation area.

Our traffic volume is already down by 35%. We working combined sectors since its so quite, joburg as well

Let's hope it doesn't turn into an Airplane Graveyard!

Snap a few pics if you can . . . . ?

Bladdy amazing how something invisible to the naked eye can ground so may aircraft... vasbyt manne and hopefully one day soon we are all whinging about having to much work

The Owner of our Biz Jet cleared us to travel home yesterday, for 4 to 6 weeks.........not like we can fly anywhere! Just arrived in Joburg this afternoon. Better to be locked down at home than some little hotel room in Dubai! Our machine is parked up in the Gulf but maintained ready to fly, not that we would be able to get back into Dubai to collect it for several weeks.

EK are putting many crew on leave, paid if available or unpaid if not.

The Owner of our Biz Jet cleared us to travel home yesterday, for 4 to 6 weeks.........not like we can fly anywhere! Just arrived in Joburg this afternoon. Better to be locked down at home than some little hotel room in Dubai! Our machine is parked up in the Gulf but maintained ready to fly, not that we would be able to get back into Dubai to collect it for several weeks.

EK are putting many crew on leave, paid if available or unpaid if not.

I was talking to a Swiss pilot in the US today, he said a lot of pilots and cabin crew have had their contracts terminated with immediate effect, hard times for the airlines

With all this spare time WFH I spent some time watching this. Brought back memories of those planes droning past far out to sea on patrol.

My dad's deceased brother was an engineer on the SAAF Shacks back in the day.