For the aviation fans

Lotus

Amazing.

There was that theory that all the world's aircraft couldn't find enough place to park all at once, but that myth's busted now.

Not quite busted yet.  There are still well over 5000 aircraft flying at the moment. Not sure if they all can still land and have a parking spot

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite busted yet.  There are still well over 5000 aircraft flying at the moment. Not sure if they all can still land and have a parking spot

Probably a lot of freighters

Imagine you looked out the window and saw these engines on the wing...and no nothings missing

Which aircraft would be flying on?

attachicon.gifJT3.JPG

Anything thing that is a converted Boeing 707.  Assuming this is not a very old photo I would guess a Northrop E8 or E3 or possibly an older KC-135 tanker.  But I see the KC-135 being used now have been refitted with newer engines that do not look like this.

If I am forced for a specific answer I would go E8 ...

post-71-0-97459900-1585732614_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bateleur1

Anything thing that is a converted Boeing 707.  Assuming this is not a very old photo I would guess a Northrop E8 or E3 or possibly an older KC-135 tanker.  But I see the KC-135 being used now have been refitted with newer engines that do not look like this.

If I am forced for a specific answer I would go E8 ...

attachicon.gifE8b.jpg

Its an oldish picture, Boeing 707 operated by SAHA Air (Iran)

Possible they are still used in a freighter capacity, according to my linkedin feed

Its an oldish picture, Boeing 707 operated by SAHA Air (Iran)

Possible they are still used in a freighter capacity, according to my linkedin feed

You guys are too quick - I would have blown you away with my guess of a standard 707, over somewhere like Cairo. But at least I know in my heart I was right  :)

You guys are too quick - I would have blown you away with my guess of a standard 707, over somewhere like Cairo. But at least I know in my heart I was right  :)

The first overseas trip I went on was on a Luxavia 707 (ex SAA) - I think we stopped at Nairobi and Cairo for juice on the way

Only 707 I ever flew on was from Waterkloof to Grootfontein - turned out it wasn't free after all - came at the price of a small piece of soul.

The first overseas trip I went on was on a Luxavia 707 (ex SAA) - I think we stopped at Nairobi and Cairo for juice on the way

I flex Luxair JNB to LUX back in '84. That was a 707 too,

I believe you mate . . . .  :-)

I flex Luxair JNB to LUX back in '84. That was a 707 too,

I am sure they were 60's vintage, really klapped out,  Springbok embossing abounded.

Can you remember doing some fuel stops?

I am sure they were 60's vintage, really klapped out,  Springbok embossing abounded.

Can you remember doing some fuel stops?

Nairobi I think. We got off while they refuelled.

UK was my overall destination and the second leg of my trip was LUX to LHR in a very small (100 or 200 series) 737 which took off almost vertically!