For the aviation fans

Lotus

Not if you were the poor throttle jockey in the cockpit :mellow: . 

No, that must have been terrifying.

I was thinking "from a safe distance".

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the flight of pelican 16, SAAF Shackleton that crash landed in the Sahara

Yep the Sahara.... and no they did not get lost....

My dad used to work on Shackletons in the RAF when he was based in Gibraltar :-)

post-4874-0-25931200-1593367605_thumb.jpg

Do you know what the enquiry found?

What went wrong ?

IICR, when doing check outs prior to full power, they had pulled the CBs for the master warning and caution audible tone and then forgot to push them back in. Then when taking full power they had forgot to apply park brake(or park brake was applied and hydraulic pressure was low) and they had nothing audible to warn them that they never had brakes. They were essentially relying solely on the chocks and the aircraft jumped the chocks. But it was human error in the cockpit, not a mechanical failure.

I see a preliminary report is out on the Airbus A320 crash of Pakistan International.  Full on pilot error.

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/pakistan-international-airlines-flight-8303-crashes-near-karachi/?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

Any Saffas still trying to get back home, should you get offered a repatriation flight on a Pakistan carrier ... I suggest you rather walk home. 

https://apnews.com/3b9899d6f9d674fdb7b2debb1b7dbdf7?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

I see a preliminary report is out on the Airbus A320 crash of Pakistan International.  Full on pilot error.

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/pakistan-international-airlines-flight-8303-crashes-near-karachi/?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

Any Saffas still trying to get back home, should you get offered a repatriation flight on a Pakistan carrier ... I suggest you rather walk home. 

https://apnews.com/3b9899d6f9d674fdb7b2debb1b7dbdf7?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

OK, but I have a few questions.

Why was there a second landing attempt? Poorly trained pilot or other failure?

Are they not supposed to use ILS when landing to assist the pilot on landing?

Poorly trained pilots and not sticking to procedures.  On the first link you I posted there is a link to the full report.  Browse to page 17 for the initial findings.  You will read things you would not expect from any half trained pilot.

In short the ILS was working but they came in high and fast.  Instead of calling a fly-by they still continued to land.  Landing gear was down etc.  Somewhere along the line they seem to have decided to do a fly-by be it was never called out or communicated with one another but they did retract the landing gear.  By some chance the got the ILS slope and must have decided to continue with the landing.  The basically put down the aircraft on the runway without the landing down, skidding on the engines and then decided to do a go around and opening the throttles and take off again.  Both engines were damaged and failed in the process and just before comming in for the second landing they went down.

To add to the reply above, and going by the preliminary report (see below) they came in way too high and way too fast (unstable approach), fumbled about with the landing gear (it didn't go down initially because of high speed, then they selected it up before landing), ignored all warnings and advice from ATC, and then on top of it attempted a go-around after a belly landing!

PIA has now been suspended from EU airspace for 6 months.

Edited by kosmonooit

A couple of good Sunday evening stories on the thunder city fleet

Thanks for posting that. I had some dealings with Mike, many years ago, and it was great to be reminded of his extremely "can do" attitude. I always found it terribly sad how his Thunder City venture folded after that one Lightning crash and I was not surprised when he died of a heart attack not all that much later. The planes and flying was really what he lived for.

Poorly trained pilots and not sticking to procedures.  On the first link you I posted there is a link to the full report.  Browse to page 17 for the initial findings.  You will read things you would not expect from any half trained pilot.

In short the ILS was working but they came in high and fast.  Instead of calling a fly-by they still continued to land.  Landing gear was down etc.  Somewhere along the line they seem to have decided to do a fly-by be it was never called out or communicated with one another but they did retract the landing gear.  By some chance the got the ILS slope and must have decided to continue with the landing.  The basically put down the aircraft on the runway without the landing down, skidding on the engines and then decided to do a go around and opening the throttles and take off again.  Both engines were damaged and failed in the process and just before comming in for the second landing they went down.

It boggles the mind then. How the hell are they even allowed to pilot a passenger plane?