Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The scale is moving in the right direction, i started cycling during Dec and did some 20km trips ( i know its not far but i am getting back on the bike after some health issues) Did the trips fairly comfortable  and when i got home i started with Trainer Road doing the Base Phase. Last week i upped the % from 100 to 120% and Saturday when i went outside i was just FLAT!!!! Could it just be the combination of losing some weight and increasing the work load, or what ? I have a dedicated spinning bike on my IDT ( i think the settings is not 100% what my MTB is)  can this cause some issues ?

Unless the set-up is wrong for you, then no, it won't. At the end of the day if you are turning the pedals you will get fitter.

Sounds to me like you have just upped the intensity quite quickly and are a bit fatigued - take a rest day or two, and push on....

Thanks all for the feedback. The food intake is good "more banting type" less Carbs........, yes i think i just over cook it a bit, will keep to the program in future !!! :blush:  :whistling:

this is an evil cycle. 

I had a piece of milktart at lunch. By 2 i felt so guilty about the pleasure on the lips that I went into a slight case of depression, and then had another piece of milktart because it makes me feel better.  

Now I sit here and feel like crap (sugar crash and knowing I had 2 pieces of tart.  :oops:  :stupid:

this is an evil cycle. 

I had a piece of milktart at lunch. By 2 i felt so guilty about the pleasure on the lips that I went into a slight case of depression, and then had another piece of milktart because it makes me feel better.  

Now I sit here and feel like crap (sugar crash and knowing I had 2 pieces of tart.  :oops:  :stupid:

Maybe a third slice will do the trick  :w00t:

this is an evil cycle. 

Dont beat yourself up, if it was easy everybody would be at goal weight. Takes time. 

Thanks all for the feedback. The food intake is good "more banting type" less Carbs........, yes i think i just over cook it a bit, will keep to the program in future !!! :blush:  :whistling:

Takes a while to get over the 'carb flu'. How long have you been eating like this?

After that massive crash I had a couple of years ago, my weight dropped to 86. But it all came back in a couple of months. back at 95. 

Takes a while to get over the 'carb flu'. How long have you been eating like this?

I am not strictly doing the banting diet, i try to avoid sugars as much as possible but do sometimes have a piece of chocolate and i try to minimize my carb intake. Doing this for quite some time. Although i do have fruit occasionally.....

Took me a year to go from 83kg to 64kg. Maintained 64 to 65kg for the whole of 2018.

Goal is to do the same for 2019. Maintaining is not as difficult as losing in my view but it still takes plenty discipline!!

Good luck all....

Would love to know how you felt on the bike after the weight loss

I am also at around 83 and cannot even imagine how leke climbing would be at 64!

Would love to know how you felt on the bike after the weight loss

I am also at around 83 and cannot even imagine how leke climbing would be at 64!

Felt amazing (after another bike set up). It's hard to believe how much your positioning etc changes with weight loss.

The climbing was the best part for sure. Even when i dropped to about 75kg's i was smashing PR's !! 20kg lighter is a whole new world of fun..........

so i'm forced to have an easy week. Got an infection around my wisdom tooth and now on some meds to clear it up.

The good thing, the pain is soo bad that I cant any solid food properly, haha. so that will help with losing a bit, haha.

Interesting, and inspiring story here on Runners World:

https://www.runnersworld.co.za/motivation/ronald-ran-off-30-7kg/

I'm definitely going to be spending more time running this year than cycling.

I hate running. Doesn't work well with my joints. But I decided this year to add 10km running per week to my training to improve fitness on the bike and to lose more weight. Early days but let's see how it goes and if it helps.. Still regularly hitting PR's on the MTB, so I think it's helping.

On a different note, I had to go for a medical yesterday for my life insurance. The previous one I had was two years and 32kg heavier ago. Then my blood pressure was 150/85, HR 72, Cholesterol 5.50, and Diabetes 5.9% hba1c. 

Yesterday my blood pressure was 130/70, HR 42, Cholesterol 3.0, and Diabetes 4.0% hba1c. 

The nurse was quite impressed and said it can't get much better than that!

I think I literally added 20 years to my life already by losing that weight and gaining some fitness.

Still about 15kg to go though... and then maintaining it there.

I hate running. Doesn't work well with my joints. But I decided this year to add 10km running per week to my training to improve fitness on the bike and to lose more weight. Early days but let's see how it goes and if it helps.. Still regularly hitting PR's on the MTB, so I think it's helping.

On a different note, I had to go for a medical yesterday for my life insurance. The previous one I had was two years and 32kg heavier ago. Then my blood pressure was 150/85, HR 72, Cholesterol 5.50, and Diabetes 5.9% hba1c.

Yesterday my blood pressure was 130/70, HR 42, Cholesterol 3.0, and Diabetes 4.0% hba1c.

The nurse was quite impressed and said it can't get much better than that!

I think I literally added 20 years to my life already by losing that weight and gaining some fitness.

Still about 15kg to go though... and then maintaining it there.

Yoh, well done man! Amazing the effects all that extra weight has on your body hey, it's not all about the way we look or pedal a bike....