Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

Our office is having a weight loss challenge for March, complete with prize money and vouchers. It's based on % lost, not kg, but there are some heavy guys, so I'm not sure I have a chance, but it's good motivation :)

Jacquers, I see you haven't actually joined our Bike Hub Weight-loss Challenge? The link to the excel spreadsheet is on the first post on the first page of this thread.. It also works on percentage lost. Weigh in is on the first of every month.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who made the Top5 leaderboard for us last year? Can they please do it again? I don't want to try and do it, I might break the excel sheet..

well there's still a long way to go... I have been going well but doubt I am going to lose more than 15kg for the year, well I really dont want to but who knows how it will go. Sometimes we get soo obsessed and go crazy.

It is time for me to sign up.

93 kg (jeez it hurts typing that) need to be closer to 85, but will settle for 88 kg. Getting to 85 will involve to many give ups.

So here we go. Starting with no more sugars (biscuits and croissants and those little choc oat brownies with the cappuccino's)

I have to say the craving for sugar is HECTIC! It is almost making me eat more.

I am going to also try cut out store bought cappuccinos, the temptation for sugar stuff is huge. It also does not help the cravings as seeing sweet stuff and chips is a real trigger.

I will have to translate coffee spend to biltong spend. But sheesh these two days have been tough.

I am going to also try cut out store bought cappuccinos, the temptation for sugar stuff is huge. It also does not help the cravings as seeing sweet stuff and chips is a real trigger.

I will have to translate coffee spend to biltong spend. But sheesh these two days have been tough.

Sugar is a big one, although for me, I won't go out and buy a chocolate and I'm not a huge fan of a slice of cake, but cutting out sugar from coffee was difficult. Every now and then I'll have a few teaspoons of sugar in my coffee, but it's only once a week or so.

Biltong is okay, it's protein, although I assume it's better to rather consume it in moderation. Calories are calories.

The sugar addiction  will not last forever. Don't cheat for  just two weeks and it will go away. Then you will learn to appreciate the taste of food.

Sign up for the two week challenge @ www.dietdoctor.com and loose weight without hunger.

Sugar is a big one, although for me, I won't go out and buy a chocolate and I'm not a huge fan of a slice of cake, but cutting out sugar from coffee was difficult. Every now and then I'll have a few teaspoons of sugar in my coffee, but it's only once a week or so.

Biltong is okay, it's protein, although I assume it's better to rather consume it in moderation. Calories are calories.

It has to do with how many times per day your insulin gets spiked (read: you eat/snack/use sugar in your coffee). Don't snack, and if/when you do, biltong is 1000 times better than a chocolate or bread (grains), which spikes your insulin about the same as a chocolate bar. Read up about insulin resistance and intermittent fasting - a great and free tool/method to help fix this.

I see some people have already dropped off the spreadsheet...i know i always say dont listen to a fat guy giving advise about weight loss...but here is some advice especially for those 100 kg plus fellas or those who read this thread and are gaining weight...it may seem a waste of time to keep track or you might feel that you are a failure because you have gained weight...dont.

Something to consider when you get over 100 kg...you health goes into survival mode...it is never too late to start fixing it...and if you dont loose weight its not a big deal so long as you change your bad eating habits...generally the reason you have gone over 100 kg is because you are eating unhealthy food (fast/junk food) which will result in medication as you get older.

The only reason i follow this thread is to stay aware of my weight...it is so easy to to fall off the wagon and before you wipe the crap out your eyes you back to wearing a size 44...been there done that twice...this time i have dumped all my big clothes. 

I know weigh-in is tomorrow, but after a bit of experimentation (different foods etc, went a week without meat and made a 3-bean stew w/carrots, lentils & split peas) I was up to mid to high 98's for a while. Changed back to what I normally eat (meat & veg) and I'm back down to 97. 

Myles, are you possibly Blood Type O?

post-119556-0-38780300-1551334926_thumb.jpg

My wife believes in this chart..I have never really paid much attention to it, but maybe there's something to it.

I'm Blood Type O, and I definitely drop weight easily when I'm eating chicken/meat/fish and veggies like broccoli. Plus I feel energized. And after training my body craves protein almost right afterwards. But when I eat beans in my diet, slow progress, none at all, or even backwards. Also have that heavy slow feeling then.

My wife is Blood Type A. She tries to follow the same diet as me, but she regularly feels nauseated after two or three meals in a row that contains meat. She loves seafood though, and fruit&veggies, so she eats more of that and much smaller portions meat or substitute it with a three bean salad. She can eat potatoes and beans and her weight stays constant at 50kg. 

Taking about wives...so proud of my wife...she has lost over 6 kg in the past couple weeks...she eats when she is hungry and stops when she is full...no specific diet...just a few simple steps she has taken to cut back...i have noticed she is eating more fruit and veg. 

Edited by eccc whippet

Had 5 days of open gates. Picked up 3,5kg but did a lot of walking. The pants I bought before our trip actually fit better now. They were tight but sit looser. Strange but true. Lost 600g yesterday already. Keep on keepin on.

attachicon.gifblood-type-diet-chart.jpg

My wife believes in this chart..I have never really paid much attention to it, but maybe there's something to it.

I'm Blood Type O, and I definitely drop weight easily when I'm eating chicken/meat/fish and veggies like broccoli. Plus I feel energized. And after training my body craves protein almost right afterwards. But when I eat beans in my diet, slow progress, none at all, or even backwards. Also have that heavy slow feeling then.

My wife is Blood Type A. She tries to follow the same diet as me, but she regularly feels nauseated after two or three meals in a row that contains meat. She loves seafood though, and fruit&veggies, so she eats more of that and much smaller portions meat or substitute it with a three bean salad. She can eat potatoes and beans and her weight stays constant at 50kg. 

That's interesting, I'm going to look into that. I'm type O.

btw, I didn't know about the spreadsheet, I'll add my name staring in March.

My weight this morning was slightly up from last month, but I have been eating a bit more to compensate for all the training I'm currently doing (long rides for the Argus, the Crossfit Open and trying not to neglect my weightlifting).

I am feeling better and fitter than I've done in a long time though. My eating has been good this week and I can feel it.

Since my aim was to maintain weight or maybe lose a little, I'm happy where I'm at. I might not weigh less, but I'm leaning out a bit more, so I'm gonna disregard the number on the scale a bit.

I see some people have already dropped off the spreadsheet...i know i always say dont listen to a fat guy giving advise about weight loss...but here is some advice especially for those 100 kg plus fellas or those who read this thread and are gaining weight...it may seem a waste of time to keep track or you might feel that you are a failure because you have gained weight...dont.

Something to consider when you get over 100 kg...you health goes into survival mode...it is never too late to start fixing it...and if you dont loose weight its not a big deal so long as you change your bad eating habits...generally the reason you have gone over 100 kg is because you are eating unhealthy food (fast/junk food) which will result in medication as you get older.

The only reason i follow this thread is to stay aware of my weight...it is so easy to to fall off the wagon and before you wipe the crap out your eyes you back to wearing a size 44...been there done that twice...this time i have dumped all my big clothes. 

I agree with you. I am well over 100kg and struggled to get weight down. Now I constantly lose weight with a couple of small changes to my live. I hope it will help someone:

1. I don't eat at all before 11 in the morning. This is the hardest part.

2. At 11 I eat 2 to 3 pieces of fruit, usually a banana and an apple. This is the second hardest part as I then crave something with sugar.

3. From here on I eat as normal.

4. I minimized, not cut out, Starch and sugar from here onwards.

5. For supper I try and avoid starch, sugar and cut my meat portions, With veggies I go mad.

6. After supper I try and not eat at all till 11 the next morning.

7. However, when in from of the tv or computer I allow myself 2 rows of dark, 70% cocoa, chocolate. This tend to stop the cravings for more sweet stuff and crisps.

8. I changed my exercise regime. Two sessions of core exercises per week, about 20min. Two sessions on the indoor trainer during the week with emphasis on HIIT, about 45min and then over the weekend one long trip of about 60km or more.

9. I told my family about my goals and got them to support me with the supper and exercise points.

10. Even though my blood type is O, I still minimizes my red meat intake. This helps with the reduction of the total size of your meal.

This is what I am doing and eventually I found something that works for me.

attachicon.gifblood-type-diet-chart.jpg

I'm Type O.. and always told my parents growing up im allergic to Peas, beans and Miellies..

and see proof  ;)