Possible stolen ebike?

alexwc46

I dont know this guy but neither do you - that's the point.

alexwc46, thanks for the correction, my mistake there

Sarcasm. Not your strongpoint...

Let me ask this:

If there is a school shooting in the USA - who do you think of immediately?

If a bomb goes off in an European city - who do you think of immediately?

If a racist comment is made in SA - who do you think of immediately?

If something is stolen in SA - who do you think of immediately?

Stereotyping is there for a reason - history. 

And if some of the comments made here does not fit your narrative of how the world should be, I'd suggest you toughen up your skin...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sympathize with anyone wrongly accused of being a criminal when they're not one, but I think it's the actual criminals that have got the world into this place, not the police.....

Criminals.....******* it up for everyone since the dawn of time.

Let me ask this:

And if some of the comments made here does not fit your narrative of how the world should be, I'd suggest you toughen up your skin...

Thanks for the suggestion - I will start applying more vaseline to my skin - the greasy one I think :whistling: :whistling:

My suggestion to you - the history of tomorrow is the reality we are creating today - be aware of your limiting assumptions and biases.

You make a good point, there has to be some bias but if you note my comment I said "too much" - I specifically said "I am struggling to get over" some of the comments on the thread:

• "wait till he finds out what the replacement charger costs" - issues with that
  • - responses to odinson's question - "Did you just assume his socio-economic circumstances and bike preference?" e.g. "Well, given the option between a 70k car, and an E-bike, the choice is obvious"
  • - Comments like "I don't even think he knows its an e-bike"

OK. Got you. But the problem with too much, is that "too much" is grey in terms of trying to identify when a bike is stolen or not.

However, you have provided clarity to your views by pointing out it is the comments, not the sentiment.

Sarcasm, humour and chirping comments should always be taken with a pinch of salt. Just go look at the e bike on a mountain thread to feel the love of ebikes.

I actually kind of agree with what sidbwe (or similar) is saying.

I have no issue with the social profiling, but I do have an issue with people making crass/derogatory comments for no reason other than to throw in their 5c worth of bias.

Have some of you given names the horse you're riding?

Number of people I have seen wearing overalls riding an ebike in 46 years on the planet (plus I'm a metallurgust so I've been around mines a lot): 1

OK so ebikes a re a recent thing.

Number of guys in overalls riding a Cube carbon bike: 1

Yup. Just 1. This guy.

But you have a birthday hangover. So your views dont count till next month.

Oh god, we are so "woke"

Nah...

It's just funny that people make the comments then get uppity when they get called out for making them... I am definitely not 'woke' nor am I PC. 

I just don't see the merit in saying things that can be construed in a racist/derogatory way. You may mean it tongue in cheek or not mean it at all, but by playing the card you are putting yourself into the firing line.

Nah...

It's just funny that people make the comments then get uppity when they get called out for making them... I am definitely not 'woke' nor am I PC. 

I just don't see the merit in saying things that can be construed in a racist/derogatory way. You may mean it tongue in cheek or not mean it at all, but by playing the card you are putting yourself into the firing line.

While I 100% agree with a level sensitivity that needs to be exercised when doing this, the correct approach is not to criticise and thereby discourage people from reporting crimes or possible crimes, but rather to encourage it and then educate on how to do so more sensitively. 

But you have a birthday hangover. So your views dont count till next month.

Whenever I'm hungover I break out in logic. It's a curse :-)

While I 100% agree with a level sensitivity that needs to be exercised when doing this, the correct approach is not to criticise and thereby discourage people from reporting crimes or possible crimes, but rather to encourage it and then educate on how to do so more sensitively. 

Absolutely... But saying 'this might be a stolen bike' is different to saying 'That guy doesn't even know it's an e-bike' or 'that guy definitely can't afford a charger' and other such things.

I'm pretty sure it IS a stolen bike. I have deduced this from the picture. 

I just don't see the merit in going further than that chiming in with social bias that IS sensitive, whether we like it or not.

Let me ask this:

That's not stereotyping.. It's called racial bias... And I think it's exactly what the point is...we have to move away from racial bias. I know that the US police services go on regular training to eliminate racial bias in their day to day operations Edited by Stretch

I'm pretty sure it IS a stolen bike. I have deduced this from the picture. 

I have deduced from the picture that he cannot afford the charger.