Possible stolen ebike?

alexwc46

I have seen many people on the streets with expensive bikes and no helments, I have encountered people that prefer smaller size frames. I know folk who wear overalls to work but make a tonne more than oaks who were suits.

So you know this guy? He fits the profile of all three types of people you have encountered, in one neat package. 

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and until you can prove otherwise...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will respond to this and Wayne's post here.

I get being pro-active about identifying potential stolen items etc but until Odinson requested the title to be changed there was an ASSUMPTION made that this bike was definitely stolen! You call it political correctness but in my view this is about realising that we may have biases and assumptions that inform our view about other people that are totally wrong.

Some of the reasons you guys are giving up here are based on your worldview, for example: I have seen many people on the streets with expensive bikes and no helments, I have encountered people that prefer smaller size frames. I know folk who wear overalls to work but make a tonne more than oaks who were suits.

Lets be vigilent but lets also be driven too much by our biases.

The topic of this thread has always been “possible stolen ebike” Odinson was making a joke by saying it should be changed from ebike to motorbike....

We are just looking after ourselves because many bikes change hands without permission (is that PC?) and I for one, would appreciate it if my bike was seen and reported.  

If there is a mistake, I am sure apologies would be accepted.

Please keep on reporting bikes and riders which "do not fit together" etc, etc etc.  Maybe one day it will be your bike on this thread.

Good work lads.

So you know this guy? He fits the profile of all three types of people you have encountered, in one neat package. 

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and until you can prove otherwise...

I dont know this guy but neither do you - that's the point.

alexwc46, thanks for the correction, my mistake there

what is important is that people are taking note...and taking pics...if the bike was stolen...there would at least be a lead.

i agree that we can no longer assume that because a black guy is riding a bike that it is stolen...we have black cyclist in our club who ride more expensive bikes than the majority of our members. 

if i see a person who doesnt fit the profile of a bike...i look at the pedals...even then it is difficult...i stopped a guy the other day because he didnt have the right shoes for the type of pedals...i asked him a few questions...took a pic him and bike and let him continue on his journey ...there is actually nothing you can do...in fact i dont believe we have a right to just stop random people riding bikes and question them. 

this is why it is important to report your bike stolen and post as many pics of it on as many  social media platforms.

more important...get your bike insured...especially if it cost more than 10 k  

I am struggling to get over the biases in this thread, 

Because the guy has overalls and no helmet and his assumed social economic basis - the bike is possibly stolen and he can not afford a replacement charger? 

What if he is an honest working man who bought this bike for his commute (and he prefers cycling to increase his fitness vs. buying a 70K car) and he has the charger at home?

Is there something I am missing here, if not then surely we can not be this judgemental?

I wear overalls and there is no way I will be able to afford that bike and I work on aircraft so my "social economic basis" is I am one of the more higher earning overall wearers(only the EFF earn more than me) in this country.

If he is an honest working man who bought it for his commute and his commute only then there are a lot of way cheaper and better(read more practical) options to go for.

Yes there is something you missing here, The point.

We not saying THIS dude stole the bike, he may very well have paid R2k of his hard earned money for it, but somewhere along the line there is a big possibility that this bike has been removed from the person that paid the full price from his LBS.

Can I ask then, how do we go about identifying potential stolen bikes through pro active means?

Without bias, what criteria should we use?

I ask the same question to you Sidbwe. Besides these biases, what else is there to gauge a potential stolen bike? If someone says to you A, B, C, whats next, most people would say D, but I get the idea you'd say 420.

These biases you condemn are to my knowledge the current and best means of identifying outliers that don't fit the same socio-economic situation you so vigilantly defend. Please understand I'm not personally attacking you, but I strongly contest the outlook in this specific case.

Yesterday I installed new brake pads on my sworks wearing torn shorts and a shirt with a gaping huge hole in the front, but I didn't go out to bed the brakes in without a bright shirt that makes me visible, my law-compulsory lights and my helmet. I would expect nothing less from someone who has the means to afford a more expensive bike.

i agree that we can no longer assume that because a black guy is riding a bike that it is stolen...we have black cyclist in our club who ride more expensive bikes than the majority of our members. 

It was about classism not racism.

Can I ask then, how do we go about identifying potential stolen bikes through pro active means?

Without bias, what criteria should we use?

You make a good point, there has to be some bias but if you note my comment I said "too much" - I specifically said "I am struggling to get over" some of the comments on the thread:

• "wait till he finds out what the replacement charger costs" - issues with that
  • - responses to odinson's question - "Did you just assume his socio-economic circumstances and bike preference?" e.g. "Well, given the option between a 70k car, and an E-bike, the choice is obvious"
  • - Comments like "I don't even think he knows its an e-bike"

I ask the same question to you Sidbwe. Besides these biases, what else is there to gauge a potential stolen bike? If someone says to you A, B, C, whats next, most people would say D, but I get the idea you'd say 420.

These biases you condemn are to my knowledge the current and best means of identifying outliers that don't fit the same socio-economic situation you so vigilantly defend. Please understand I'm not personally attacking you, but I strongly contest the outlook in this specific case.

Yesterday I installed new brake pads on my sworks wearing torn shorts and a shirt with a gaping huge hole in the front, but I didn't go out to bed the brakes in without a bright shirt that makes me visible, my law-compulsory lights and my helmet. I would expect nothing less from someone who has the means to afford a more expensive bike.

No worries, I dont take any of this as an attack at all.

Please see my response to Slowbee on my specific issues here.

Number of people I have seen wearing overalls riding an ebike in 46 years on the planet (plus I'm a metallurgust so I've been around mines a lot): 1

OK so ebikes a re a recent thing.

Number of guys in overalls riding a Cube carbon bike: 1

Yup. Just 1. This guy.

Best pic I could get...

maybe he went to the petrol station store for the owner that loaned him the bike. this guy is even sticking to the pedestrian crossing.

OP:  There appears to be some writing on the back of the coveralls could be a company name. Did you manage to see what the writing was?