[Event] Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

Events Bot

Yes very stupid to echelon into oncoming traffic. Same thing was happening in %. I guess why the commissaire took such extreme action himself. But I think too many racers unfortunately don't have brains.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting. I was also in 1D and I do think this is the case. The group hangs 2 or 3 people out front to do all the work and adjusts to their pace. Co-operation is virtually unheard of. Over the last three years I don't think I've ever been in a seeded bunch where there's been a cooperative turn taking established. When dropped, and smaller groups form then it's easier to establish an ethic of working together.

On Sunday, 1D picked up the speed on the R44 when 2A came breezing through us and just as the incline kicked up and so this Mamil reached the top 30 seconds behind this suddenly energised bunch ....

I can cycle 100k in less than 4 hours alone though --- promise

I had no choice but to cycle alone. 4h01 though. Yes, I suck. But from 3A there were just no consistency in the groups that formed. They were either too fast or too slow, and kept breaking up.  Last year I did 3h37. So, why so slow this year? Yes, once again, I know I suck.

Edited by Moridin

The race started on a closed road which didn't help. Everyone got used to using the whole width. Tough job to get us all back on the left after that.

That's not sucking ... i am sure 4 hours puts you in the top 50 percent of 3A.

I had no choice but to cycle alone. 4h01 though. Yes, I suck. But from 3A there were just no consistency in the groups that formed. They were either too fast or too slow, and kept breaking up. Last year I did 3h42. So, why so slow this year? Yes, once again, I know I suck.

The race started on a closed road which didn't help. Everyone got used to using the whole width. Tough job to get us all back on the left after that.

It's called common sense. Common sense that riding into oncoming traffic is a bad idea. Every rider should try to have it.

Edited by buchanan

Unless that right hand lane was closed to oncoming traffic, then that is super dumb of those $ riders. Suicidal in fact.

Weren't riders disqualified and banned en-masse ?

That was a regular thing at our PPA races not too long ago

That's not sucking ... i am sure 4 hours puts you in the top 50 percent of 3A.

Actually, no. Group position 56/89. There were some sleepers in our group that did not want to work from the get go. They all passed me after I pulled a few through, then they suddenly started to shine while I blew from all the work I did in the first 15km.

More surprising is my age position: 400/533. Whats up with these ou toppies? Don't they have a normal job like me? I usually only train on weekends, with the odd excursion on my MTB in the week.

It's called common sense. Common sense that riding into oncoming traffic is a bad idea. Every rider should try to have it.

Yes its a bad idea but it happens due to concertina effect. Riders in the front slow down. Gys behind slow down. Okes behind them don't quite get the memo at the same time so they have to steer around to avoid an accident.

10 into the space where there was 6 means someone is going to go wide as the gravel is a crappy option.

Its less a case of being stupid and more a case of the limitations of rider reaction time to the events happening 10metres ahead of them

I have raced in an elite bunch, yes. Stupid of so called "elite" cyclists to think they own both lanes of a major road. Are they full time pros?  Some of the comments above show more evidence of this stupidity. Especially Sidmouth's. But I guess it will take drastic action for these super elite pros to admit any responsibility.

you obviously have no idea, 

And you are obviously above the laws of the road, cause you are that good?

And you are obviously above the laws of the road, cause you are that good?

This is the entire foundation of this thread, the dangers and alternatives, not that you have contributed, we are discussing option on how to make it safer, 180 Elite riders cannot ride in single file. but you will not know this, why do I get the feeling we are speaking to some overweight dude on his mountain bike, in pink lycra with a 5 litre saddle bag  

I had no choice but to cycle alone. 4h01 though. Yes, I suck. But from 3A there were just no consistency in the groups that formed. They were either too fast or too slow, and kept breaking up.  Last year I did 3h37. So, why so slow this year? Yes, once again, I know I suck.

I had the same issue in 3B. Ended up breaking away from the bunch and rode alone. Still managed to complete the race in 3H50, so stoked with my time.

Had a good race, Only gripe was the traffic into Val de Vie. But had ample time to get to my group seeing that I am one of the lower seeded riders.

And Helshoogte at 65km was actually quite fun. Especially the descend after the grind to get to the top.

Will do it again next year even if it's at the same venue. Will just have to get up even earlier. Got within 5km of Val De Vie at about 05h40, and took me 30 minutes to get to the parking.

I have raced in an elite bunch, yes. Stupid of so called "elite" cyclists to think they own both lanes of a major road. Are they full time pros?  Some of the comments above show more evidence of this stupidity. Especially Sidmouth's. But I guess it will take drastic action for these super elite pros to admit any responsibility.

In an elite bunch of 180+ riders? If there's no space, there is no space. So alternative solutions will have to be found. That's the point of this discussion. No one is trying to justify our actions, but unfortunately it's the nature of racing.

So we either need full rolling road closures or smaller bunches or some other solution perhaps.

Edit: Yes, most of them are full time pros. And some of us are very lucky to be able to ride there.

Edited by Jetstar500

Keep it clean boys and stow away the handbags. Insulting each other or getting aggro doesn't serve anything. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, have their own experience(s) in any situation, but also please use restraint if you were not there, don't fully understand the situation(s) or feel wronged. We are debating and discussing - we see things differently.

#justsaying