[Event] Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

Events Bot

Also, why did we not use the think bike marshal, our group just had some noob at the back of the group hooting and trying to get cars passed :/

That guys hooter is definitely hung over and out of warrantee this morning

If they don’t have a climb at the start they need smaller groups.

Normally a group of 80, today it was 150 odd.

167 finishers in $ so how many started?? 180+?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think overall it was a pleasant morning out on the bike. Did not come away with negative feelings, despite some imperfections with the venue/organization, traffic queue entering Val de Vie etc.

I was in % group and agree that marshalling was perhaps a little dicey, with the race commissaire pulling his vehicle to a halt in front of a speeding bunch - twice.  But riders also need to wake up and take more responsibility when it comes to things like crossing the centre line and riding in the wrong lane. It's the reason why the 99er has been banned from using the N7 again after last year's race. Seems too many racers feel their own personal quest for 250th place, or whatever, is worth risking a head on with a truck coming the other way.

But riders also need to wake up and take more responsibility when it comes to things like crossing the centre line and riding in the wrong lane.

Great point, but I dare say lost on many.

Rules/road closures are generally clearly stated, yet when we cross the start line, consensus appears to be "the road is ours".

I enjoyed the race and the venue, I just hope they sort out the traffic issue. I parked 4kms away from the venue however it counted in my favor because I could do a warm up ride. I rode in 1C and there was a guy that almost caused a crash struggling to drink from his camelbak :eek: and then shortly after that an oldish guy with both his arms on the handlebar struggling to juggle his bottle, he almost went onto the gravel...

It will be easy to avoid some of the congestion if they allowed people to park on the grass verges on the way to the car park, it's then a nice warm up ride to the start.

I parked up on the grass and a guy came and told me I couldn't, I told him the car overheated and he left me there. After the race I saw that everyone parked up on the side.

I enjoyed the race although it seemed like everybody was pacing themselves for the climb so the pace was a bit slow in 1D, especially the first 30km.

Only my second ever race so was quite interesting to see how determined people are to not do any work at all in the wind. It looked like a large number of riders couldn't complete that distance on their own in under 4 hours

picture below of the $ Group, it displays the size on the group.

I think it is easy to complain and I was just as disappointed by the parking, from what I have heard many places like Stellenbosch do not want these cycling events, they have been told not to bring them to these towns,they bring no income, take up all the parking and cause major traffic disruptions to the venue, I’m sure it’s getting difficult for organizers to find suitable venues.

In the 1990 all races started at Constantia Village or most, heading up Constantia neck, down into Hout Bay and then Chappies, many routes, the rotary roller comes to mind, but the shopping malls and Constantia village no longer wanted the cyclists and it all moved to the flat lands.

These races in Duranville are dangerous, the motorist has no tolerance for anyone but themselves, they are not willing to slow down, the road belongs to them and them alone.

In groups like $ yesterday, the peloton echeloned to the right lane and even moved right into that yellow line, if you don’t want to get dropped you have to follow, that’s the choice you have, if a car came over that hill it could have wiped out that front of $, I fear another accident like this could end it.

Cyclists are running out of suitable venues and our battle to cars will only allow one casualty.   

post-46828-0-00648300-1548070011_thumb.jpg

Must have been a great race with all the complaining going on

You know cyclists love to moan about anything and everything. Yes, the traffic sucked getting into the venue (could have parked outside and had a 5 min cycle in), bunches were a bit big to start with and the marshalling wasn't great but other than that it was a great race. 

This is interesting. I was also in 1D and I do think this is the case. The group hangs 2 or 3 people out front to do all the work and adjusts to their pace. Co-operation is virtually unheard of. Over the last three years I don't think I've ever been in a seeded bunch where there's been a cooperative turn taking established. When dropped, and smaller groups form then it's easier to establish an ethic of working together.

On Sunday, 1D picked up the speed on the R44 when 2A came breezing through us and just as the incline kicked up and so this Mamil reached the top 30 seconds behind this suddenly energised bunch ....

I can cycle 100k in less than 4 hours alone though --- promise

a large number of riders couldn't complete that distance on their own in under 4 hours

In groups like $ yesterday, the peloton echeloned to the right lane and even moved right into that yellow line, if you don’t want to get dropped you have to follow, that’s the choice you have, if a car came over that hill it could have wiped out that front of $, I fear another accident like this could end it.

Cyclists are running out of suitable venues and our battle to cars will only allow one casualty.   

Yea I was at the back end of that echelon and thinking to myself Holy Crap this is crazy...If I recall there was a car coming up the hill but looked like it decided to park it in the yellow lane and just let us pass first...

I enjoyed the tour. In 1B we had a super fast group and all stuck to the rules. My starting time was 6:21 and I was there an hour earlier as suggested by the organiser. Those who missed the start need to get up earlier.

Unless that right hand lane was closed to oncoming traffic, then that is super dumb of those $ riders. Suicidal in fact.

In my opinion, if race organisers have an elite mens racing bunch, racing to win and racing for price money with 180 riders in it, they should at least have rolling road closures. As much as we take our lives into our own hands and all that, it is still a race and to be fair, that is what the organisers expect from an elite mens racing bunch, no?

So yes, maybe it was stupid for us to echelon into on coming traffic, but in an elite mens race, this happens. A lot. All the time. That's racing. Close the road or don't have an elite mens racing bunch.