[Event] Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

Events Bot

Given the recent history of thefts from cars occurring at cycling events I just didn't feel like taking the risk of parking in the middle of nowhere. Definitely worth considering finding a safe parking spot in Paarl and ride in from there if the event is held at the same venue next year.

Agree with you in that.. was a bit nervous during the race about the car. Luckily there were a bunch of traffic officers parked and directing traffic about 50m from the vehicles.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is having so many cars coming in via 1 entrance, that's the biggest stuff up.

The actual venue not bad. If they can sort out the parking and entrance points then it will solve the problem.

I started in 2A and yes we were a big group when we caught 1D but then again groups are way bigger in CTCT.

Not having full road closure will always be challenging with the numbers especially when groups merge.

Not easy to fix, smaller groups, bigger gap between start groups, better marshaling?

64feb9dab7b06aa98594401a3bb0d7d6.jpg

I am pretty sure the $ group had rolling full road closures.

That was my biggest gripe today - no issues with getting riders back where they belong, but do it in a safe, professional way. Stopping your car across the road in front of a bunch speeding at 45km/h+ (twice!) is asking for an f-up.

At Derbie Dash the riders were MUCH further into the oncoming traffic, but the bike marshalls there did a excellent job of getting the guys in line firmly, but without risk.

I'll be writing to the cycletour trust on this. 

The venue itself is not that bad imho - if they can sort out the traffic / parking (maybe safe satellite parking areas from which you can cycle in), and better communication w.r.t the "neutral zone" at the start, I think the new route works well with Helshoogte right there where it matters :)

Hello Pure Savage

Cycle Trust's Marshall's are a completely different group to the Training Professionals PPA utilize.

No Lead official vehicles for any of the known top Bunches were provided.

I would use this Route in Reverse. Giving you three good Climbs in the first 30/40km.

Namely the Paarl Prison rollers, Helshoogte and then the R44 leaving Stellenbosch.

Otherwise the Organization is looking for a Disaster if not even Worse than today's mistakes.

I will be sending my complaints in writing.

That was terrible. Last Burger for me.

No parking, we had to suggest the 15 min delay, we had to tell people to park on R45 and ride in. Groups way too big, the worst bike Marshal I have ever had, should be banned from doing cycle events in future.

No redeeming factors. Move it back to Stell or cancel it.

Is this the dude in a blue old Mazda 323, I did a race a year ago, he pulled right in, cut everyone off and starts shouting he will cancel the race if we go over the white line, you need to be careful who you give authority too, some guys just cannot handle it

I am pretty sure the $ group had rolling full road closures.

At one point I remember bombing down one of the hills at around 70km/h and it was all strung out and I was scraping by oncoming cars that were driving in the yellow lane on their side of the road, thinking to myself that this was nuts.

Hello Pure Savage

Cycle Trust's Marshall's are a completely different group to the Training Professionals PPA utilize.

I would use this Route in Reverse. Giving you three good Climbs in the first 30/40km.

Namely the Paarl Prison rollers, Helshoogte and then the R44 leaving Stellenbosch.

Otherwise the Organization is looking for a Disaster if not even Worse than today's mistakes.

If they don’t have a climb at the start they need smaller groups.

Normally a group of 80, today it was 150 odd.

At one point I remember bombing down one of the hills at around 70km/h and it was all strung out and I was scraping by oncoming cars that were driving in the yellow lane on their side of the road, thinking to myself that this was nuts.

I wasn’t even crazy enough to get a photo then

Hello Pure Savage

Not a lot of hubbers here have good stuff to say about PPA so is nice to actually hear that they do provide a good event organisation

If they don’t have a climb at the start they need smaller groups.

Normally a group of 80, today it was 150 odd.

I think the groups  will normalise as we head into the 2019 Autumn season. It will take a few races post One Tonner for the indexing to normalise. 

Problem with the cylosportifs and the PPA funride calendar in general is that it does not have any races with major climbs. A race with Franshoek Pass and Du Toits is sorely missing.

Edited by DieselnDust

I think the groups  will normalise as we head into the 2019 Autumn season. It will take a few races post One Tonner for the indexing to normalise. 

Problem with the cylosportifs and the PPA funride calendar in general is that it does not have any races with major climbs. A race with Franshoek Pass and Du Toits is sorely missing.

Problem with current index system is that you only get penalized about 7-8 months later and then its normally 1-2 points   So all the one tonner speed freeks will still be in wrong bunches for short sharp races for a while, at least a year.

I was thinking last night again that they must limit how quickly you can climb up the indexes.. either as said last time, you earn points and each time you hit 100 you go up a index, or  you can only go up one/two groups per race you do.  so you have todo at least 12 races to get to high seeding and by that time you might know how to ride in a bunch.

Problem with current index system is that you only get penalized about 7-8 months later and then its normally 1-2 points   So all the one tonner speed freeks will still be in wrong bunches for short sharp races for a while, at least a year.

I was thinking last night again that they must limit how quickly you can climb up the indexes.. either as said last time, you earn points and each time you hit 100 you go up a index, or  you can only go up one/two groups per race you do.  so you have todo at least 12 races to get to high seeding and by that time you might know how to ride in a bunch.

The problem they created with the One Tonner was they rewarded the riders who finished before the race was stopped. When the event is called off/stopped then the event should be ineligible for the index calculation. If they had applied this then they would not have created the problems they have now.

Roll on CTCT....

I was at the first SCT and then checked out because of the crazy bunch sizes on roads that are not fully closed.

The latest concerns from yesterday leaves the organizers with quite a logistics headache.

Having done every one since 2011 I did not ride yesterday because of the new start venue.

Looking at the number of finishers it seems the decline is continuing. 

2019 3370
2017 3582
2016 4184
2015 4321
2014 5425
2013 4741
2012 4746
2011 4192

(2011 to 2013 still have the shorter 40km route as well).