[Event] Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

Events Bot

The elite group should be no larger than 100 riders, max.

The 99er had a good size last year. ????????

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

% group stopping was a big f op

That comm in the blue Maz 323 was super aggro. Next time, cite some of the offenders, make an example and let the race continue. Utterly immature to punish everyone.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the event. Made the trip down from JHB on Saturday so did not have a chance to collect my number. This turned out to be a good thing as I was forced to arrive early on Sunday to have time to collect - so no traffic issues. First I heard was while waiting in the pen and they announced a 15 minute delay. Great route (found Helz a lot easier than Tom Jenkins and Hekpoort - maybe it was the altitude!), perfect weather, nice scenery and a competitive group (1A) made for an awesome day out on the bike. I did notice a couple of issues with echelons inching over the white line but this can be minimised next year by increasing the start intervals between groups. 1A rode most of the race with the tandems, elite ladies and later on, some from 1B. I'm sure the teething problems will be sorted out next year and will definitely make the trip down again.

I actually quite enjoyed the new route with Helz at the end. That being said, I only made it about halfway with the bunch until I had a crash. But waited for the %/ladies racing bunch and had a lekker, albeit painful ride home.

The crash on the second windmeul roller. Got stuck in that one and tried to chase back, was 10 seconds behind the bunch for 5km, got to the follow cars and thought I could jump across when there was a small rise but popped with 5-10m behind the peleton, Strava says I was 1-2 seconds behind.

Then decided to wait for company and got a coke at the water stop and soon afterward two guys joined (the one with the bib torned at the leg - which I think might be you, who let us go on the Lievland climb and then the % bunch got us on that small sharp climb close to stellies.

Decided to take it easy with the lead tandems over helshoogte and not long afterwards the % group was together again and I was surprised to see the rider with the torn bib again!

Enjoyed the race but hope parking can be sorted out and like others said 100-ish groups with 2-3min gaps.

Edit: Fixes quote

Edited by DJTerblanche

The crash on the second windmeul roller. Got stuck in that one and tried to chase back, was 10 seconds behind the bunch for 5km, got to the follow cars and thought I could jump across when there was a small rise but popped with 5-10m behind the peleton, Strava says I was 1-2 seconds behind.

Then decided to wait for company and got a coke at the water stop and soon afterward two guys joined (the one with the bib torned at the leg - which I think might be you, who let us go on the Lievland climb and then the % bunch got us on that small sharp climb close to stellies.

Decided to take it easy with the lead tandems over helshoogte and not long afterwards the % group was together again and I was surprised to see the rider with the torn bib again!

Enjoyed the race but hope parking can be sorted out and like others said 100-ish groups with 2-3min gaps.

There’s lactic acid and a few gel drops all over this post, DJT

What a pursuit ????????????

I didn't quite understand why the traffic was a problem outside the estate. Maybe because everyone used the R44 and only a few read the instructions given at registration?

Ok can you explain how do this? After 30yrs of Racing I still can't figure it out..

When I hang on the left I get stuff behind the blown.

When on the right I get pushed out into oncoming traffic.

So could devise a strategy and mechanism that racers can follow to prevent the alleged floor crossing. I'd be really keen to hear your thoughts on this

I think you miss the point rather spectacularly.

Wrong side of the road:

To the critics, Let me explain a bit about what happens -  without name calling.

There is no point in shouting at the 'faster' riders for being the trouble makers. Nobody sits at home planning to ride across the white line or on the wrong side of the road.

Its all about the bunch size.

I get your point that sometimes because of numbers & physics101 large groups will stray into the other lane. Don't think it's  an issue at most of your examples where it is just for a few moments (cornering, group slowing down, avoiding an accident etc).

But I don't agree with the attitude on here where we just abdicate all responsibility from ourselves to the organisers. It's like a herd mentality, I'm just following everyone else and take no responsibility for myself and blame the organiser & marshalls if something goes wrong.

Everytime you cross over into the right lane because you were caught out of position in the group or you don't want to be dropped or because you are caught in the gutter with cross winds whatever, it is still a decision you have made yourself, nobody forced you to do it. The oncoming motorist being forced off the road doesn't care that you are worried about begin dropped, they just see a cyclist breaking the law.

I have cycled in enough groups in funrides & races to see that us as riders push the boundaries as far as we can get away with (even when the groups are not too large) - (I recall one race where in the crosswinds literally the whole group was in the right hand lane with not a single cyclist in the left lane) - so we should at least own our part of the problem and not flame people critisizing us for breaking road & cycling laws with "you know nothing if you haven't ridden in $"

Edited by Skubarra

I think you miss the point rather spectacularly.

Oh I got the point. I just think your ego leads you to think you're better than everyone around around you.

Point is no one wants to get smashed by on coming traffic but everyone wants to race and be positioned appropriately.

You seem to believe its achievable within the confines of the yellow and solid white lines. So please explain how to achieve this in lieu of the race that's happening.

The only way I can see its possible to keep everyone within those confines is too up the pace and string out the bunch reduce its size and then ensure that the stragglers don't come back

So this was my return to "road racing" since breaking my collarbone in 2008. 11 years has taken its toll and the old body took shots but wow, I really enjoyed my ride.

Yes the parking and start was a total stuff up and needs improving but the route was great, the weather perfect and the finish was well laid out.

I was supposed to start in 3E (being totally unseeded) and got there to find all the back groups mixed together and them starting random groups all togther. I think I left with the 3K group but soon hooked a small bunch being lead by 2 guys and a women in Britos kit who rode like demons on the front for half of the race. Helshoogte wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I just rode a steady tempo and then about 10 guys in our bunch regrouped going through Pniel and then we really started to fly.

Thanks "Nick" for doing a massive turn on the front going towards Franshoek, you were a beast until your mate punctured. Eventually finished in around 3hrs15 which was way quicker than what I was expecting and managed to do it without cramping which was a surprise because the last 30km's was done without water. I enjoyed myself.

I agree. A few of of these self appointed 'elite riders' (Are they really that 'elite'?) think their right to ride the perfect echelon includes taking up both lanes and the yellow shoulders of a major road.  Anyone who disagrees is not pro enough to understand and has apparently never been there.  I was in % yesterday (hardly a novice group) and have ridden with pro riders in the past and understand all about cross winds and echelon formations. 

The commissaire yesterday felt forced to take drastic and dangerous action himself with respect to %.

Will the elites moan when they no longer have permission to race on public roads, because of incidents like yesterday and last year's 99er on the N7?

Funny thing is, We only went into the wrong side of the road once during the race. That was the section just before the N1 at Klapmuts.

Your bunch was stopped twice?? So please tell me, which bunch was really riding like a bunch of boxes? Mine or yours?

No I wasn't the guy with the torn bib (lucky for everyone around be). He also came flying past me up Helz when I was with the front of the % bunch.

I get your point that sometimes because of numbers & physics101 large groups will stray into the other lane. Don't think it's  an issue at most of your examples where it is just for a few moments (cornering, group slowing down, avoiding an accident etc).

But I don't agree with the attitude on here where we just abdicate all responsibility from ourselves to the organisers. It's like a herd mentality, I'm just following everyone else and take no responsibility for myself and blame the organiser & marshalls if something goes wrong.

Everytime you cross over into the right lane because you were caught out of position in the group or you don't want to be dropped or because you are caught in the gutter with cross winds whatever, it is still a decision you have made yourself, nobody forced you to do it. The oncoming motorist being forced off the road doesn't care that you are worried about begin dropped, they just see a cyclist breaking the law.

I have cycled in enough groups in funrides & races to see that us as riders push the boundaries as far as we can get away with (even when the groups are not too large) - (I recall one race where in the crosswinds literally the whole group was in the right hand lane with not a single cyclist in the left lane) - so we should at least own our part of the problem and not flame people critisizing us for breaking road & cycling laws with "you know nothing if you haven't ridden in $"

But it somehow seems that people who have never ridden in $ seem to know a lot more about racing than those who ride there all the time.

We know it's illegal. We know it's our own decision. But most of the time you're being forced out to that side by other riders.

What I'm saying is that it is inevitable that going over the middle line is going to happen. I am not flaming or passing blame to the organisers. I am merely giving my point of view and I suggested a solution which is that the racing bunches should have rolling road closures.

I saw an Oomie riding with a bleeding leg and without his helmet on. Not sure which group, was dropped from 2A before we got out of Val De Vie.

Edit: he should not have been riding like that, but from the looks of things, I don't think anyone was going to stop him at that stage.

Edited by Ferro

I saw him walking around fine at the end of the race. He might have been a tad grumpy if someone had tried to stop him during the race!

I saw an Oomie riding with a bleeding leg and without his helmet on. Not sure which group, was dropped from 2A before we got out of Val De Vie.

Edit: he should not have been riding like that, but from the looks of things, I don't think anyone was going to stop him at that stage.