[Event] Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

Events Bot

Seems you guys needed some of those Marshalls that used to officiate the PPA rides on their motorbikes. They guys in the top 2 or 3 bunches took no k*k from any rider, and if you didn't listen to them, they would either burst your eardrums by revving a 1000cc superbike in the red next to your ear, or would just report your race no back at the finish line and you get a DQ. Easy. Best behaved groups I have ever ridden in.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems you guys needed some of those Marshalls that used to officiate the PPA rides on their motorbikes. They guys in the top 2 or 3 bunches took no k*k from any rider, and if you didn't listen to them, they would either burst your eardrums by revving a 1000cc superbike in the red next to your ear, or would just report your race no back at the finish line and you get a DQ. Easy. Best behaved groups I have ever ridden in.

Can't fault the PPA Marshals.  They control both the bunch and motor vehicle traffic like experienced professionals.

We should draft a few of them into the Traffic Department

Can't fault the PPA Marshals.  They control both the bunch and motor vehicle traffic like experienced professionals.

We should draft a few of them into the Traffic Department

Very true, I have always felt safe when they monitored traffic. They were really good.

Yes, they were very good. There was one woman in particular that took no nonsense and got everyone in order very quickly. 

Yup, I also went earlier

- all the sms and emails about the access told me it was going to be a F up.  But if as you say, everyone must come earlier - then we would have had the major traffic jam starting an hour earlier - so that is not the overall solution for the current venue.

Basically the limited entrances and poor direction, narrow lane distances and marshall arrangements within the park caused the problem.

Even if everyone was earlier, those hundreds of cars parked along the outer roads would not have made it.

I just made sure I was at the further Drakenstein side entrance well before 6 am closing time.

I got off the N1 at about 5:45, sat in the traffic for about 5 minutes, checked googlemaps and realised that a U-turn to paarl and cycling in would work best.

I think the issue is two-fold

* when I rode into the estate the cars coming in from N1 side and Pniel side of R45 were being let in 1-1 by traffic, they would need to get more flow into the estate to stop it backing up.

*car pooling. I drove in alone, so am part of the problem. If they could encourage priority parking for cars with 3+ bikes on the back then you would see a lot more people doing that and the volume of traffic would reduce simply and effectively. 

*car pooling. I drove in alone, so am part of the problem. If they could encourage priority parking for cars with 3+ bikes on the back then you would see a lot more people doing that and the volume of traffic would reduce simply and effectively. 

I don't trust this option for the simple reason that my mates are always late  :ph34r:  When it comes to waking up early and being on time, I only trust myself...

I don't trust this option for the simple reason that my mates are always late  :ph34r:  When it comes to waking up early and being on time, I only trust myself...

Get better mates then!

Did you guys see the two guys from 1A who caught the % group. They came passed me after Pniel but before the T-Junction. Some strong riding.

I also see the seeding is out, according to my calcs none of the % riders will be upgraded to the A group of PPA (Sub 10 seeding), but these two 1A riders will  ;)

Did you guys see the two guys from 1A who caught the % group. They came passed me after Pniel but before the T-Junction. Some strong riding.

I also see the seeding is out, according to my calcs none of the % riders will be upgraded to the A group of PPA (Sub 10 seeding), but these two 1A riders will  ;)

1A was lazy to allow a break of 13 to get away on the Windmeul climb. Everyone just wanted to sit on everyone elses wheel.

Seeding is Out?! checked and nada

#edit : Have to check it on PPA website. Racetec doesn't update for the plebs at the same time

Edited by DieselnDust

I ride in % often (on Sunday I missed the start which in hindsight was just as well), it is certainly not unusual for 1A to catch % in races like this & the 99er.

Don't know if it is because of the leading ladies in the group that the mentality of the group changes? Generalising here but I think riding in % in a big race is probably the worst place to be if you want to improve your seeding.

• 8 months later...