Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to vent.

I've always had good service from my suspension products. A couple of Fox forks, a RS Reba, a Pike and now a Yari. The only rear shocks I had before the Monarch on my current enduro were Fox and they never gave any hassles whatsoever.

Enter the Monarch Plus RCShite ... A 2.5 year old  otherwise perfect shock has been rendered useless by a manufacturing or QC issue. A hairline - more like spider web fine crack, formed near the end of the damper shaft where it threads into the head of the shock where the adjusters are. Its almost impossible to see  but is enough to cause high pressure oil to vacate the damper while riding, rendering the shock pretty much useless after a few rides. This kind of failure should not happen of course, but on good authority I know this is not uncommon with these shocks. Frustrating enough you'll agree but there's more. RS do not supply spare damper shafts. Nowhere on planet earth in fact.  And the warranty has expired. The shock is now only good for spares...my bike is now an ornament.

Thank goodness I have a HT to ride while I try and sort this sh#t out. 

sorry to hear, i have a 200x57 RS Monarch Plus, that's laying around.

i don't know what to ask for it, and i can drop off stoke for them to confirm all is in order?

sorry to hear, i have a 200x57 RS Monarch Plus, that's laying around.

i don't know what to ask for it, and i can drop off stoke for them to confirm all is in order?

Does his frame not have a propriety Spaz connection thingiemajig on the shaft?

Does his frame not have a propriety Spaz connection thingiemajig on the shaft?

Can't you swap out the shaft? (I hate using that word)...

I also have a very very basic 200x57 monarch shock lying around.

It has no lock out only rebound control. If you can use it you're welcome to it

Can't you swap out the shaft? (I hate using that word)...

I also have a very very basic 200x57 monarch shock lying around.

It has no lock out only rebound control. If you can use it you're welcome to it

Here to save you. It's called a yoke. If you change it you can legit call yourself a yokel.

@Tim I also have an Rs Kage coil shock with a 600lb spring in excellent condition, if you wanna buy the yoke and open up a world of aftermarket options later on.

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

I need to vent.

I've always had good service from my suspension products. A couple of Fox forks, a RS Reba, a Pike and now a Yari. The only rear shocks I had before the Monarch on my current enduro were Fox and they never gave any hassles whatsoever.

Enter the Monarch Plus RCShite ... A 2.5 year old otherwise perfect shock has been rendered useless by a manufacturing or QC issue. A hairline - more like spider web fine crack, formed near the end of the damper shaft where it threads into the head of the shock where the adjusters are. Its almost impossible to see but is enough to cause high pressure oil to vacate the damper while riding, rendering the shock pretty much useless after a few rides. This kind of failure should not happen of course, but on good authority I know this is not uncommon with these shocks. Frustrating enough you'll agree but there's more. RS do not supply spare damper shafts. Nowhere on planet earth in fact. And the warranty has expired. The shock is now only good for spares...my bike is now an ornament.

Thank goodness I have a HT to ride while I try and sort this sh#t out.

Thats rockshox ethics for ya, fox or ohlins if you want beast support in this country

Thanks for the offers guys, really appreciate the sense of community around here. The shock is a Spesh proprietary unit 216x57. The shaft is 10mm thick and needs to be the right length. I think there are other differences between the various models too. 

I got in touch with Robbie Powell and he thinks he may have either the part or a fresh unit off another bike he has swapped out with an Ohlins for a customer. Will find out tomorrow. 

I've attached a pic of the shock with the air can off. The internals are pristine...The damper shaft is the silver/gray bit. Its threaded where it screws into the top of the shock. The teeny tiny crack is a few mils in from the top of the shaft and visible on the inside. 

post-14003-0-40149800-1594314015_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the offers guys, really appreciate the sense of community around here. The shock is a Spesh proprietary unit 216x57. The shaft is 10mm thick and needs to be the right length. I think there are other differences between the various models too. 

I got in touch with Robbie Powell and he thinks he may have either the part or a fresh unit off another bike he has swapped out with an Ohlins for a customer. Will find out tomorrow. 

I've attached a pic of the shock with the air can off. The internals are pristine...The damper shaft is the silver/gray bit. Its threaded where it screws into the top of the shock. The teeny tiny crack is a few mils in from the top of the shaft and visible on the inside.

Meh. Hoped it was the older 200x57 version. Good luck dude.

Butcher vs Eliminator vs Hillbilly (another one I wanna try, which is sorta a copy of the Mary)

Specialized-BLCK-DMND-enduro-and-downhil

vs Mary

schwalbe-magic-mary-ss-tle-soft-27-x-2-6

You can see the difference quite easily. Butcher = Death Gap® - others have transition knobs, which remove the vagueness you're getting on the Butcher. It doesn't look like much, but it makes a MASSIVE diff.

Also - DHR2 is a great option. Savage loves his, and it also has good tranny knobs. Better (well, wider) tranny knobs than the DHF, imo.

4932.jpg

maxxis-minion-dhf-3c-wide-trail-29-x-25.

Sorta copy or looks like?

I get a happy feeling when I see a MM tread. Going to stick mine on the front of my HT again since its a bit rough and damp out there at the moment...

Yup. Assguy lives up to the same levels and maybe has the edge in some situations (saves me more in some places, still not sure on roots)

Yup. Assguy lives up to the same levels and maybe has the edge in some situations (saves me more in some places, still not sure on roots)

Roots are a moot point in the Western Cape these days.... Ine hardly has to deal with any off camber roots anywhere anymore.

I can think of some in Higgovale/Deere Park and that's pretty much it.

One quick question..... Is running a 70mm stem on a trail bike going to get me laughed at and ridiculed in the car park? 

snip

One quick question..... Is running a 70mm stem on a trail bike going to get me laughed at and ridiculed in the car park? 

no more than say riding a tour on a bmx...

...and i mean who cares what other people think anyway?

^_^

Roots are a moot point in the Western Cape these days.... Ine hardly has to deal with any off camber roots anywhere anymore.

As long as you are wearing flannel no one will notice.

I have something like that on my HT  because the frame's a bit small. So I'd be fine with it but Myles might not be...

When you see a member of the Duro police with a ruler just give him a lekker backhand slap. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.