Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

1 minute ago, Meezo said:

good luck with them

i see there's been some action on the plumber entry this weekend... seen on instagram

i haven't ridden plumber since after the fires, and the step up was my biggest fear riding there.
i don't ride iron monkey enough but wandered down there alone the other day "blind" also need to come to terms with those drops... again if they faster/smoother on race run i guess...

The drop at the top of Plumber is only scary because it's blind. It really not that hard. The biggest thing on that trail is holding your line through the rocks in the middle. I'm due for a bit of that. May check it out on Wednesday morning. 

The drops at IM is not so hard but they come at a place where one typically does not took to far ahead and there's no lip on them which caused more than a couple of OTB's last time. I'm thinking it's time to check Both of those trails out asbI have not done the top half of IM or Plumber sinceb2019 SA Champs  🤔 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Bos said:

The drop at the top of Plumber is only scary because it's blind. It really not that hard. The biggest thing on that trail is holding your line through the rocks in the middle. I'm due for a bit of that. May check it out on Wednesday morning. 

The drops at IM is not so hard but they come at a place where one typically does not took to far ahead and there's no lip on them which caused more than a couple of OTB's last time. I'm thinking it's time to check Both of those trails out asbI have not done the top half of IM or Plumber sinceb2019 SA Champs  🤔 

yeh, not the plumber entry talking about the step about mid way down i can't remember exactly where it is.

the plumber entry drop has had the boards burnt so its got a bit of more spice now

45 minutes ago, Meezo said:

I think I know what you're referring to, it's a roll though, scary as a drop as it's rough there. Actually lank dangerous in my opinion which is why it's usually taped off. The kind of thing that will send riders over the bars. If not checked out first. 

The little drop and jump thereafter is just  mind over matter and carrying enough speed. Don't go in tentatively, although the worst that can happen is a bad case.. kind of. But I'm taking about 3 years back, so let me give feedback after Wednesday. 

Chap dropped into the Plumber drop on Sunday and cased the knuckle with his front wheel. He went down hard and completely trashed the rim and rotor. He was lucky to not get hurt himself, but his ride was comprehensively over at that stage.

The drop-in planks were completely burnt since the fires and have not been replaced. 

I'm thinking of entering but I absolutely do not have the juice for 5 stages. I was thinking of maybe doing the Lite but I see only up to 30 y.o. may enter in Lite. Older and you do Full according to the official page. If so, I'm skipping out on this one then.

6 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Chap dropped into the Plumber drop on Sunday and cased the knuckle with his front wheel. He went down hard and completely trashed the rim and rotor. He was lucky to not get hurt himself, but his ride was comprehensively over at that stage.

The drop-in planks were completely burnt since the fires and have not been replaced. 

I'm thinking of entering but I absolutely do not have the juice for 5 stages. I was thinking of maybe doing the Lite but I see only up to 30 y.o. may enter in Lite. Older and you do Full according to the official page. If so, I'm skipping out on this one then.

They won't be from the top.

The runs will be lower halves. They want to be done by lunch time.

I don't think you will see a trail head and will join most trails on the 2nd tier fire road and the bottom two firehuts.

On 8/22/2022 at 4:03 PM, Bos said:

I think I know what you're referring to, it's a roll though, scary as a drop as it's rough there. Actually lank dangerous in my opinion which is why it's usually taped off. The kind of thing that will send riders over the bars. If not checked out first. 

The little drop and jump thereafter is just  mind over matter and carrying enough speed. Don't go in tentatively, although the worst that can happen is a bad case.. kind of. But I'm taking about 3 years back, so let me give feedback after Wednesday. 

how did it go?

On 8/20/2022 at 6:23 PM, DieselnDust said:

Is the foam not just part of the production process? My road bikes rims are EPS blanks laminated with HM carbon. The EPS adds toughness and vibration damping. The ride quality is silky

These are aluminium rims and handlebars, so no, not in this case.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Chj_Im0qR4g/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

1 hour ago, Meezo said:

how did it go?

Sigh. It didn't. I was all packed and loaded up the night before and woke up feeling 50 shades of not ok yesterday. I was convinced I'm coming down with something as my whole family has been fighting the flu. I pulled the plug as I didn't feel up to a wrestling match with the plumber and thought it's not with taking the chance . On the bright side I'm not sick yet, and get to fight another day. And can try a 2:30 ride this weekend if I don't get to the valley of milk and honey.  The ugly truth is as a bit of fitness will get me just as far as a course recon will right now. Although if there's one trail to recon, plumber is the one. I won't feel completely comfortable racing that thing blindly.

Although..We've hit some pretty gnarly sections blind at full commitment at Witfontein in the passed. 

Edited by Bos

21 minutes ago, Bos said:

Sigh. It didn't. I was all packed and loaded up the night before and woke up feeling 50 shades of not ok yesterday. I was convinced I'm coming down with something as my whole family has been fighting the flu. I pulled the plug as I didn't feel up to a wrestling match with the plumber and thought it's not with taking the chance . On the bright side I'm not sick yet, and get to fight another day. And can try a 2:30 ride this weekend if I don't get to the valley of milk and honey.  The ugly truth is as a bit of fitness will get me just as far as a course recon will right now. Although if there's one trail to recon, plumber is the one. I won't feel completely comfortable racing that thing blindly.

Although..We've hit some pretty gnarly sections blind at full commitment at Witfontein in the passed. 

i feel you, i got home Sunday night from Witfontein and was down for 2 weeks.

Managed to ride Saturday and Sunday, and now my wife and all 3 kids are sick.

Haven't been out this week at all... 

Dang that was even worse than I imagined. I pulled up just after it happened, and dropped into Red Phoenix rather. 

I shudder to think what the outcome would be had the crash not happened but the bloke leading out still went down. Liewe donner.

How did the oke in front go down? And what's the Duster doing up there? I mean I'd give my left nut for a shuttle pass in jonkershoek. Imagine dealing with traffic while trying to ride there lol 😆 

1 hour ago, Meezo said:

i feel you, i got home Sunday night from Witfontein and was down for 2 weeks.

Managed to ride Saturday and Sunday, and now my wife and all 3 kids are sick.

Haven't been out this week at all... 

Joy's of fatherhood I tell you. The ballie class really deserves much more recognition than we get. 

Dang that was even worse than I imagined. I pulled up just after it happened, and dropped into Red Phoenix rather. 

I shudder to think what the outcome would be had the crash not happened but the bloke leading out still went down. Liewe donner.

All the gear and no idear :)

Screenshot_20220825-172504_Instagram.jpg