Should the CTCT race format change?

DieselnDust

I beg to differ.

I've been doing CTCT since 1999, its still an effort and accomplishment for me to finish it.

And even though 35 000 people line up for it every year, chat to a non "athlete" and say you rode 109km and watch their eyes.

So please dont dismiss doing it as easy, I think you'll find for 90% of the field its a real effort, for 60% of the field its pushing their limits.

But I'm not against the shorter route either.

This is exactly my point.  You say 'non athlete' which implies you see yourself as not a non athlete.

So get those 'non athletes' onto the start line of a different, shorter, easier race.

Good business. 

My regarding it as 'easy' was to highlight perspective. I ran 100 miles on trail last weekend and I don't regard myself as an athletes arse. 

What we regard as 'normal' or 'exceptional' varies hugely. Anyway, I'm fully behind the short route and wider appeal. 

It makes it far more worthwhile for guys travelling down/transport etc... It allows more of the family to participate more easily which will tip the balance in that economic decision.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is exactly my point.  You say 'non athlete' which implies you see yourself as not a non athlete.

So get those 'non athletes' onto the start line of a different, shorter, easier race.

Good business. 

My regarding it as 'easy' was to highlight perspective. I ran 100 miles on trail last weekend and I don't regard myself as an athletes arse. 

What we regard as 'normal' or 'exceptional' varies hugely. Anyway, I'm fully behind the short route and wider appeal. 

It makes it far more worthwhile for guys travelling down/transport etc... It allows more of the family to participate more easily which will tip the balance in that economic decision.

Well I'm more of an "athlete" than the guy sitting on his couch.

And dont get me wrong, i fully agree that comrades is tougher than CTCT, like LWB said above, I could not even do the 5km Comrades if such a thing existed.

But again, as you said, one needs to see these challenges from different perspectives. A guy at the office here has done 5 or 6 comrades, is on his way down to do another this weekend. Chatting to him about cycling and he cant see himself completing a 947 ride.

again, I have nothing against the shorter route

I wonder how the 'gees' will be on the Saturday and will the same peeps come out on Sunday to line the streets again...if the shorter route was part of the longer route...????

Great idea IMO. More people on bikes. More tourists in town. More people enjoying Cape Town. What is the plan for the shorter route? A version of the Two Oceans route?

But......

How are they going to get 2 days of road closures past the GRUMPY AS **** residents of the Southern Peninsula and HB?

You would like a 9 year old to git gud?

What is wrong with an event that caters to 6-12 year olds cycling on some of the most scenic roads in Cape Town which would be 100% closed from traffic?

Please, everyone has their goals, be it top 100, sub 3, sub 4, sub 5 or just finish. No one goal is more important, valuable than another. Its a fun ride. 

They have added a option so more people can enjoy a fun ride.

This post deserves more than just a like! :thumbup:

Off topic but was this year the first time Cape Argus was not involved at all, I think last year they were still sponsors even though not part of the name anymore?

Oh and as I stopped at the finish one of the first things a fellow rider asked me was "Who won?" - as if I would have any better info than him...

You must look very clever

2 Oceans is a good example - never heard someone say the half diminishes the full marathon.

I would draw the line at e-bikes though.... Make it a seperate event / ride if you want to do something for ebikes like they do at the Knysna Festival. 

If the short route is meant to be getting "less capable" cyclist in the event - bums on bikes - surely this is the ideal event to have ebikes?

Good business. 

:offtopic:  I know but... You ran 160km last weekend !  Firstly, very well done.  I consider myself fit and don't that on a bike in a day - secondly, I'm going to call you an athlete and apart from a handful on here and other sportshubs, so too would most

I have decreed that next year you will run the first day and ride the next

About the name:

I'm one of those "old" farts who kept on calling it the "Argus" long after the name changed to Cape Town Cycle Tour..........

.....but, big BUT.....

.......I finally decided to train my brain to use the new name after recently reading an Argus! I was shocked at what a lousy piece of newspaper it has become and I was glad that I stopped buying it about 5 years ago! I definitely would not want my Cycle Tour to be tainted any more by a name like that! :ph34r:   

:offtopic:  I know but... You ran 160km last weekend !  Firstly, very well done, I consider myself fit and don't that on a bike in a day - secondly, I'm going to call you an athlete and apart from a

handful on here and other sportshubs, so too would most

I have decreed that next year you will run the first day and ride the next

hahahaha I'm happy to ride both days thanks!

I suppose I compete with/against guys who have real pedigree. One of my best friends is an ex multiple SA champ marathon and XCO mountain biker, so no matter ho hard I train, he drops me in my driveway!

On topic, I like the idea of another day. For 36 handicapper hackers it's a great way to get them involved.

Who knows, if more 4x4ers start riding bikes, maybe there will be less bicycle hatred!

A shorter option will have no impact my doing the CTCT. It may as well just be a separate event happening on the same weekend.

My consideration for participation next year will be based on the overall cost of going down to the Cape colony.

A shorter option will have no impact my doing the CTCT. It may as well just be a separate event happening on the same weekend.

My consideration for participation next year will be based on the overall cost of going down to the Cape colony.

Please come. we want your money.

If the short route is meant to be getting "less capable" cyclist in the event - bums on bikes - surely this is the ideal event to have ebikes?

If it is an untimed "festival" type of ride with costumes and all that paraphernalia then I would be perfectly fine with ebikes taking part 

If you read PPA's message on FB it becomes very obvious that they're going this route to try and generate more cash due to the dwindling numbers in the funrides. PPA gets 50% of the CTCT profits so it makes sense for them to go this route.

Not sure I agree with it though, I'm of the opinion that it's going to water down the achievement of finishing the long route. Kinda of like having a marathon distance option at the Comrades.

How would this be different to the Old Mutual two oceans? There is the ultra and the half on the same day.

There might be a lot of angry non cyclists in the area, the Sat before race day is choked with riders doing a pre-ride, now those cyclists will either be doing the shorter route or have to choose other roads around that do not form part of the route adding more cycling traffic.  

There might be a lot of angry non cyclists in the area, the Sat before race day is choked with riders doing a pre-ride, now those cyclists will either be doing the shorter route or have to choose other roads around that do not form part of the route adding more cycling traffic.

Shame [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Archived