Best grips for marathon rides?

Butterbean

ESI Extra Chunky - I wait for them to come on special then i buy 2 or 3 sets, last time they were on special at CWC.

I always wanted to try the MoreLuv grips from Luvhandles I understnd they almost the same dims as ESI Extrachunkies but never got the opportunity because they never had stock - If they are the same or similar quality at 150 ronds they a bargain

http://luvhandles.co.za/?fbclid=IwAR0_ohpBsQ99radgIGSq6Pmqg-Rvofq29bbnWdTJHszA0_nYU2fquoeczjg

I found with the Luvhandles that I had on my singlespeed that they eventually just became loose on the bars... I was very confused and couldnt understand but they had actually stretched and become the same diameter as the bar so essentially became useless. The grips were still in great nick. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used esi for a few years. Switched to these and have not looked back. More durable and the hexagon shape gives better grip imo.

Not sure what the fuss is about grips... but I’ve used these in the past and quite liked them, will get them again when the current stock std grips on my Spaz need replacement.

You sound like you crash often.

Maybe a skills clinic will do the trick and save you some bucks on grips.

Or I could just buy more durable grips? It's mtb'ing right, everyone crashes (even keyboard warriors)

Used to be into all these ergo grips and the Spez fancy palm relief ones.... then went to ESI, but the chubby one, never looked back.

I like ESI but boy they are are damaged easily. ANY impact to the grips will likely result in a gouge or tear. For this reason I've given up on them.

A mate of mine has thick silicon grips with lock on rings, so they withstand crashes a lot better. Might be the solution for you.

I think it is ESI grips, but I can be mistaken.

thanks...never knew about these. ESI chunky's are too small for me so might try these next. using DMR death grips in thick now and although they feel pretty nice they are still not thick enough. I have actually wonderend if i will be looked at funny if I just build up my own grips with some bar or racquet tape to get the thickness I want  :blush:

Just my honest opinion ... get bar ends.  gives you at least 2 more positions for hands

(flamesuit on

haha. This is like going into an VF forum and praising the EFF a day before an election :ph34r:

Just my honest opinion ... get bar ends.  gives you at least 2 more positions for hands

(flamesuit on)

Yes................SPIRGRIPS !

I have just put them on my bike in preparation for the ride to the sun in May, very happy with them.........................

Edited by coppi

Just my honest opinion ... get bar ends. gives you at least 2 more positions for hands

(flamesuit on)

Like Crocs and onesies, everyone knows they are comfy but is just too embarassed to be seen in public with them.

Like Crocs and onesies, everyone knows they are comfy but is just too embarassed to be seen in public with them.

Let me guess, a former friend told you that???

Let me guess, a former friend told you that???

(flamesuit on)

Ergon?

Just like the other two contact points, grips are personal preference.

I rode my original ergons across the country and everywhere inbetween.

ergon-gp2.jpg

They started to perish, but granted this was after 4/5 years of serious use. apparently they have sorted this out. I've actually kept them with the view of covering with leather.

They are *** expensive, but nowhere close to the cost of a saddle.

They will last Waaaaay longer than any chunky/silicone/whatever so there's a lifetime cost.

I currently have these

specialized-contour-xc-handlebar-grips-b

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/contour-xc-grips/p/155398?color=229209-155398

(but I've cut the ends off got bar ends on them).

Edited by juan pelota

I have to share something, I walked into Sportman's Warehouse about 2 weeks ago and as always had a browse at the cycling goodies,took a set of these. I have used ESI extra chunky for a few years and had no real issues, I do prefer bigger diameter grips, these new cheap ones is awesome nice and chunky and very comfortable...so just a suggestion....that won't break the bank even if it is just to try out.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/v-grip-foam-lock-grip/4275