MTB Oval Perspective?

MTB-More

Hi All

Sorry for opening yet again this sensitive topic of deep personal opinionated riders on Oval vs Round. I have read multiple research articles about the perceived benefits vs round and all that. Spent hours looking at pro's and cons and what ppl say is a endless discussion to read on its own.

During the Epic I noticed something very odd. Both Nino and Lars ride on Round chain-rings. I went and looked at their bike setups for the past few years and both of them have never on a race used a Oval.

This got me thinking that if the world champ uses a round then what is the real gains? I'm sure if you are competing at the best in the world level every 0.0001% of a gain would be used yet both of them just use the standard out of the box Round chain-ring.

If there is a said gain in Oval why don't they use it? And I checked there is a 38T Oval available in Eagle... Any ideas why?

Hi All

Sorry for opening yet again this sensitive topic of deep personal opinionated riders on Oval vs Round. I have read multiple research articles about the perceived benefits vs round and all that. Spent hours looking at pro's and cons and what ppl say is a endless discussion to read on its own.

During the Epic I noticed something very odd. Both Nino and Lars ride on Round chain-rings. I went and looked at their bike setups for the past few years and both of them have never on a race used a Oval.

This got me thinking that if the world champ uses a round then what is the real gains? I'm sure if you are competing at the best in the world level every 0.0001% of a gain would be used yet both of them just use the standard out of the box Round chain-ring.

If there is a said gain in Oval why don't they use it? And I checked there is a 38T Oval available in Eagle... Any ideas why?

Nino and Lars have a near perfect pedal stroke I.e. They develop similar power all the way round (push one side and pull the other) us other plebs don't do this and aren't nearly as conditioned as you need to be to do it

And that is what ovals address, they work and I enjoy mine as do many others

If it doesn't work for you then don't use it

Edited by BaGearA

'cause oval looks cool

oval on my MTB = feel no difference

oval on road = BIG difference in pedal stroke

Agree with Jako. On steep climbs with loose surface, the Lyne oval on my Mtb works a charm. Traction is definitely better when I put my mediocre power down. If it helps to improve my poor pedaling technique, who am I to complain.

What about your MTB on the road?  ^_^

'cause oval looks cool

oval on my MTB = feel no difference

oval on road = BIG difference in pedal stroke

Colleagues of mine went to a bike fit seminar at Sport Science where it, I am told, was said that based on some research Oval chainrings are better for your knees.

I've had some knee pain in the past from cycling, so I gave an Oval chainring a go.

It has worked like magic for me. Perhaps a placebo effect, but I'm happy and enjoy it.

With regards to performance, I can't really say if I have or haven't noticed a big difference.

I like to think the amount of time I spend on my bike riding, at my level, would be a bigger marker for gains vs losses.

The one thing that I have noticed though is that once you lose cadence going up a steep hill, it gets pretty hard to get going again.

Agree with Jako. On steep climbs with loose surface, the Lyne oval on my Mtb works a charm. Traction is definitely better when I put my mediocre power down. 

This is the only time I can notice the difference using an oval

I believe it makes a difference, even if its perceived.

When I used oval with Vectors, you could see the power stroke move, I took them off my road bike because, DI2 does not like them, there is a good set for sale in the classifieds, :ph34r: :ph34r:

On that note, I am thinking of changing my current setup 2x10 to 1x11 with the sunrace 11-50 cassette and a 36T oval chainring at the front. 

Will it work?