Zwift - Tour of Watopia 2019

RocknRolla

I did the group workout yesterday - can't say I'll do one again. The speed seemed very random (and generally quite slow) due to the rubberbanding system to keep everyone together (valid reasons for this obviously). A short signal dropout in the first 5 mins didn't help, and the 500 odd riders on the screen creates some graphics lag for me. With races it's better as the riders get spread out more.

The only reason I would think to use this system would be to ride with slower/faster friends. This got me thinking about a tandem mode for zwift which sounds pretty fun?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the headsup, I understand Zwift want to showcase their group workout feature. Lets see how it goes, I'm set for 6pm.

I did the 6pm.  Jon is a bastard.  Those 3x one minute sets were tough.

I had many lolsies every time I saw 'NOT a vegan' in the group around me  :clap:  

I did the 6pm. Jon is a bastard. Those 3x one minute sets were tough.

I had many lolsies every time I saw 'NOT a vegan' in the group around me :clap:

Ever better when I hand out ride on's to the vegans.....

But ja, group workouts ain't for me

Great seeing that many saffa's even briefly on my screen. Loads of **** spoken during that group event.  Don't think those peeps went hard enough.

The Rubberband effect is lame. The work-out itself was not so bad for me. I do however think that my FTP needs a relook..glad I didnt do it prior to this event, I think that 10min blocks would have killed me otherwise.

Glad it's ticked off. Probably wont be doing a group workout again ever.

Great seeing that many saffa's even briefly on my screen. Loads of **** spoken during that group event.  Don't think those peeps went hard enough.

The Rubberband effect is lame. The work-out itself was not so bad for me. I do however think that my FTP needs a relook..glad I didnt do it prior to this event, I think that 10min blocks would have killed me otherwise.

Glad it's ticked off. Probably wont be doing a group workout again ever.

Ryan Deadpool Miller is a hoot - I've done a few long rides with him in the past and he always cracks me up, which really makes the rides go past quickly. 

My FTP went up last week after stage 2, this was my first workout ride since then.  It really hurt.  I've known that I needed to do another FTP test for a while now, but the reality of going up wasn't nice  :P 

Ryan Deadpool Miller is a hoot - I've done a few long rides with him in the past and he always cracks me up, which really makes the rides go past quickly. 

My FTP went up last week after stage 2, this was my first workout ride since then.  It really hurt.  I've known that I needed to do another FTP test for a while now, but the reality of going up wasn't nice  :P

Was kinda entertaining to see peeps getting worked up as DP was typing away entertaining himself. A little like the hub....but on Zwift...

Yesterday I had resistance issues on my Kickr. It read power, changed speed as I pedaled faster and slower, but did not change resistance going up and down hills. Tried a couple of things to no avail.

I will be doing factory spin down this evening, hopefully this sorts it all out before stage 4.

The Figure 8 is quite a tough little route, kinda looking forward to it. From what I can gather, we getting xp boost under each arch...so maybe level up for some.

Must try and remember "it's not a race"

Yesterday I had resistance issues on my Kickr. It read power, changed speed as I pedaled faster and slower, but did not change resistance going up and down hills. Tried a couple of things to no avail.

I will be doing factory spin down this evening, hopefully this sorts it all out before stage 4.

The Figure 8 is quite a tough little route, kinda looking forward to it. From what I can gather, we getting xp boost under each arch...so maybe level up for some.

BruisedDisloyalKoi-small.gif

Also had some issues over the weekend. Snap calibration repeatedly fails in Zwift, so did the stage 3 workout uncalibrated. Last night I did a factory spin down successfully, but Zwift calibration still times out. And messaging has gone dead.

Anyway, stage 4 up next!

Stage 4 done.

With my Kickr not adjusting resistance (although compensating for speed up the climbs like they do with speed/candence users) I did stage4. I still gave it stick up the climbs, but there was no soft pedal on the downhills.

Logged a ticket with Zwift last night after the ride, woke up with an Email from them in my inbox, stating they are aware of issues on certain trainers and are working to get it solved. In the meantime, sorry and be patient.

Glad it's not my kickr that's on the blink. 

Edited by RocknRolla

Also had some issues over the weekend. Snap calibration repeatedly fails in Zwift, so did the stage 3 workout uncalibrated. Last night I did a factory spin down successfully, but Zwift calibration still times out. And messaging has gone dead.

Anyway, stage 4 up next!

There is a way to manually adjust the brake strength through the normal fitness app by tapping brake strength 5 times. I had to do this after waiting hours trying to get it calibrated.

The only downside is that the trainer does not remember the new number so if you disconnect the power you need to change the value again.

Well I eventually got around to doing stage 4 today, and I enjoyed it so much that i just carried on riding, until I clocked about 70 km.

I must say the idea of having a stage race with one stage per week is actually kinda lame. Last year, you did a stage every 2nd day or so, so you had continuity and it felt like an “event”. After 4 stages in 4 weeks, I kinda don’t really see the point. Zwift have put out an explanation to the effect that they don’t wanna cannibalize the other events, but lotsa people are bitching especially the poms who cant find a stage in their evening prime time.

Also, last year’s t o w felt much more challenging, with the 3 sisters and (if I remember correctly) a twirl up the Alpe. I remember suffering much more acutely. This year’s stages seem much shorter and with less elevation - unless they are planning on upping the ante in the latter part of the tour. In which event, I will have egg on my face.

Edited by Harryn

I did stage 4 yesterday. Can't say I enjoyed it, but it has been one of those weeks.

The alpe is on stage 7, but other than that I do think it has been easier than the previous Tour. I prefer having the stages a bit less regularly, but perhaps two a week would be a good balance? One every three days, with a day off.