Everesting World Record Attempt

Pall Catt

Well as any governing body will tell you, the record is only as good as the governing body who regulates it.

The joke is that using uncorrected, un-calibrated device with a barometer to claim a world record -cool story. My gps receiver had some messed up signals in the mist in a gully in the berg last week and apparently I ran a 30 second 2km. I will upload the file please give me the 2000m world record :ph34r:

Go read up on Everesting and everything and everyone involved. 

"World record" as in the fasted time for an Everesting in the Hells 500's Hall of Fame.

No regulation.  No nothing.  Just bragging rights.  

And the privilege to be part of the Hells 500  :thumbup:

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This laaitie is stupid strong.

No doubt he will do it.  Fast enough?  Maybe.  Just a question of getting his ducks in a row.....well......melons......or whatever vegans play with these days.....

Edited by Spinnekop

This laaitie is stupid strong.

No doubt he will do it.  Fast enough?  Maybe.  Just a question of getting his ducks in a row.....well......melons......or whatever vegans play with these days.....

agree he is a monster

lol just hope his vegan ways can help him achieve it

I've had a quick armchair look at this, and decided he has no chance.

a)climb just seems too short, turn around takes time and no chance to build up extended rhythm

b)hasn't done an everest before (AFAIK)

c)at altitude

but that's just my thumbsuck, he was an elite rider so should know what he can do - but might just be publicity stunt for his coaching business.

will be very happy to be proven wrong.

.GPX => .csv => Excel, Apply Formula and little bit of copy paste magic => .csv => .gpx => Strava 

Sorry for being a skeptic but my job requires me to question spatial data on a daily basis. I also understand the logic, limitations and applications of GPS.

There was a major forum argument about an FKT on a major trail last year about what the record actually is etc. Hence my initial question about Guiness or a body who regulates it being present on the day.

.GPX => .csv => Excel, Apply Formula and little bit of copy paste magic => .csv => .gpx => Strava 

Sorry for being a skeptic but my job requires me to question spatial data on a daily basis. I also understand the logic, limitations and applications of GPS.

There was a major forum argument about an FKT on a major trail last year about what the record actually is etc. Hence my initial question about Guiness or a body who regulates it being present on the day.

random query on this.

do strava ever smooth out segments?

the guy who creates it obviosuly has his initial file, but surely once 200+ people have done the same thing they can give a more accurate version of the actual route?

i tried googling it but only gives me answers on how to improve your time on a segment!

Heheheh.

To be fair, the heading is misleading.   ;)

The Leon Schuster song of bygone era comes to mind when I think of Paul van Zweel. BANANAMAN!!

Yeah, dont think will do it, too much time will be spent not climbing. 

This is not the Cape Epic, you dont get a medal or a sticker for your bike. You just get the achievement, the guys at Hells500 look at the strava file for temp, heart rate speed etc.

We submitted one of ours in 2 parts and they checked the temp etc to confirm it was same file etc...

I've had a quick armchair look at this, and decided he has no chance.

a)climb just seems too short, turn around takes time and no chance to build up extended rhythm

b)hasn't done an everest before (AFAIK)

c)at altitude

but that's just my thumbsuck, he was an elite rider so should know what he can do - but might just be publicity stunt for his coaching business.

will be very happy to be proven wrong.

I also thought it seems quite ambitious to try it on an open public road where traffic interference could play a part. But anyway, good luck to him.

... they don't need to use the allegation gain from Garmin/Strava... just show the number of repeats, with pre defined turning points.

They can then use proper survey'd elevation data to calculate the gain per loop, multiple the amount of repeats with the allegation gain and you have a accurate allegation gain achieved.

So he will probably have a I have to do the hill so many times to get to a verified/un questionable everest.

G

... they don't need to use the allegation gain from Garmin/Strava... just show the number of repeats, with pre defined turning points.

They can then use proper survey'd elevation data to calculate the gain per loop, multiple the amount of repeats with the allegation gain and you have a accurate allegation gain achieved.

So he will probably have a I have to do the hill so many times to get to a verified/un questionable everest.

G

We're making it quite complicated. Actually, it's as simple as the number 8 848m appearing on your strava ride. No Bill Nye or Khalid Galant verification required.