Everesting World Record Attempt

Pall Catt

And then you get Wimpie van der Merwe who Everests a number of times every year just for the fun of it and because he can. Rides from Clarence Drive to the lookout point at Steenbras Dam. He takes a bit longer than the world record but then at 61 who cares. ( I think he holds the record for the most Everests in SA)

Holy crap; 9 Everesting of which 5 times HRS :eek:   :eek:

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a video of how he will be preparing for the attempt with some notes from the video;

It's a straight climb with only one intersection on a quite route

Gearing 36 back 39 front...

Takes him +-4W/kg to get up there every time to climb 1000m/hr

Weight to drop from 71kg (current) to 66kg before the attempt.

Interval training and training time to +-20hrs per week

Off the bike training to planking for 10mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uja_1dyu2Hc&t=305s

is Guiness WR going to be there? Has a surveyor measured the elevation gain?

What happens when his GPS device battery dies and he doesn't have it on Strava?  :ph34r:

To break the Everesting record, choosing the right hill is critical (duh). In my opinion this hill is too short in comparison to the current record holder. This is a significant disadvantage as the current record holder was topping 100 kph :eek: on his descents as the descent was 10 times longer. If this chap hits 60 kph before he has to brake to turn around for the next repeat he will be lucky. That is a big speed differential. Multiply this by the number of repeats (197) he has to do compared to the current record holder (53) and you will see he is already at a disadvantage before even starting. Additionally, braking at the bottom of each repeat consumes valuable time, this hill requires 4 times more braking than the record.

If he breaks the record on this hill I will be incredibly impressed, particularly with the knowledge that if he chose a more suitable hill he would go even faster!

Calling people c**** and bestiality addicts for using animal produce in your blogs is not cool. I hope you fail Zweelsomething.

Edited by jdwet1980

Here's a video of how he will be preparing for the attempt with some notes from the video;

Good luck - I admire your courage in making the attempt

Calling people c**** and bestiality addicts for using animal produce in your blogs is not cool. I hope you fail Zweelsomething.

just don't drop down to his level

We will always enjoy our braai and proper boere breakfast in the mornings

To break the Everesting record, choosing the right hill is critical (duh). In my opinion this hill is too short in comparison to the current record holder. This is a significant disadvantage as the current record holder was topping 100 kph :eek: on his descents as the descent was 10 times longer. If this chap hits 60 kph before he has to brake to turn around for the next repeat he will be lucky. That is a big speed differential. Multiply this by the number of repeats (197) he has to do compared to the current record holder (53) and you will see he is already at a disadvantage before even starting. Additionally, braking at the bottom of each repeat consumes valuable time, this hill requires 4 times more braking than the record.

If he breaks the record on this hill I will be incredibly impressed, particularly with the knowledge that if he chose a more suitable hill he would go even faster!

Yeah, think will fall well short. Will be impressed if actually completes it. 

Maybe if he ate some meat his pro result would have been better.  :ph34r:

I was thinking the same thing. He was probably as skinny as ****due to malnutrition and more than likely had an iron deficiency.

You laugh, Delano had to do an extra rep than Kevin and I as his garmin was under recording... Or ours were over recording.

seriously a whole other rep. can you not just go to the 8848 point and turn around? (ie. part of a lap)?!  that must be soul destroying!

i would think a barometric altimeter is a given for everesting, and calibrate when/if out of sync

And then you get Wimpie van der Merwe who Everests a number of times every year just for the fun of it and because he can. Rides from Clarence Drive to the lookout point at Steenbras Dam. He takes a bit longer than the world record but then at 61 who cares. ( I think he holds the record for the most Everests in SA)

kevbenk and wimpie both on 9 each it seems.

race on for double figures!

1000m/hr will give you 8,8hours of climbing.

you'll need about 6-7hours of climbing

here's the current record

https://everesting.cc/hall-of-fame/#/hill/854208265

segment is 1.3km long, 13%grad, 197m per lap

and it's at about 320m AMSL at base

seriously a whole other rep. can you not just go to the 8848 point and turn around? (ie. part of a lap)?!  that must be soul destroying!

i would think a barometric altimeter is a given for everesting, and calibrate when/if out of sync

kevbenk and wimpie both on 9 each it seems.

race on for double figures!

Only complete laps count, even if it sucks at the time, that's the rules!

I did mine with a buddy, we rode with each other the whole time, but our GPS's gave slightly different readings.  We decided to push on and keep going until the lowest reading was beyond 9000m just to be safe.  After analyzing the graph afterwards, my buddies elevation graph was 'growing' slightly with each repeat (especially from about halfway onwards) showing slightly more climbing than there was.  Hang on, I must find the picture, it'll make more sense...  Two graphs attached below - mine on top and my buddies at the bottom.  Notice how his low point elevation is creeping up with each lap. 

Both GPS's had barometric altimeters but one was a dodgy Garmin :ph34r:

After being on the bike for around 21 hrs at that point, this decision to keep going when one device said we'd done enough wasn't met with happiness and enthusiasm :clap:

It's not called a challenge for nothing!

post-50271-0-18525500-1554450630_thumb.jpg

Only complete laps count, even if it sucks at the time, that's the rules!

I did mine with a buddy, we rode with each other the whole time, but our GPS's gave slightly different readings. We decided to push on and keep going until the lowest reading was beyond 9000m just to be safe. After analyzing the graph afterwards, my buddies elevation graph was 'growing' slightly with each repeat (especially from about halfway onwards) showing slightly more climbing than there was. Hang on, I must find the picture, it'll make more sense... Two graphs attached below - mine on top and my buddies at the bottom. Notice how his low point elevation is creeping up with each lap.

Both GPS's had barometric altimeters but one was a dodgy Garmin :ph34r:

After being on the bike for around 21 hrs at that point, this decision to keep going when one device said we'd done enough wasn't met with happiness and enthusiasm :clap:

It's not called a challenge for nothing!

**** me, that’s some riding.

I was thinking the same thing. He was probably as skinny as ****due to malnutrition and more than likely had an iron deficiency.

A bit of a sweeping comment, no?