Post Ride Coffee

madbradd

Unpopular Opinion*

So a friend of mine (not a cyclist) has a problem with cyclists and post ride coffee culture - the argument being that sweaty (and potentially muddy) kit in coffee shops / restaurants is not lekker. Turns out he's not in the minority. I regularly have coffee after rides and have never really thought twice about it, and not really sure how I would feel if the cricket team was at the local in their pads with their box(es) on the table.

My feeling is that while cyclists are not the only ones who do this, it certainly is alot more stereotypical of us than other sporting fraternities (alot of other fraternities have their clubhouses or are sports venues etc. which probably skews this alot as we ride pretty much wherever we want and then stop at a local coffee shop).

My feeling is that any institution has the option to refuse entry/service for whatever reason (because they don't want sweaty people is a valid reason in my opinion). But beyond that, as a (potential) patron I don't really have any say in an institution's clientele. If I don't like a certain place because of who hangs out there, then I shouldn't go.

Has anyone else thought about this much? Maybe some coffee shop owners here? In the event that you were served, and then asked to leave because another patron had an issue with you being there, what would your reaction be?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All depends, coffe at jack and sprocket- not as many worries as it is usually only cyclists but coffee at a boutique coffee shop where non cyclists are majority customers is a different story. Needless to say for option 2- take the 2 mins to put a pair of shorts over your lycra(the other women are really not in the mood to see your junk), wipe your hands and face and put on some deo and a clean T-shirt. Also always put on normal shoes so you don't rape their floors with your cleats. Common courtesy...

Well coffee is coffee- certain coffee shops are known or have been known to cater for cyclists during or after a ride who will buy coffee and maybe some snacks and maybe a bottled water too.

Those that come to such coffee shops would know this I guess? As for smelly post ride dirty workouts- if such cyclists sit outside if there is outside seating then that may help a bit?

All depends, coffe at jack and sprocket- not as many worries as it is usually only cyclists but coffee at a boutique coffee shop where non cyclists are majority customers is a different story. Needless to say for option 2- take the 2 mins to put a pair of shorts over your lycra(the other women are really not in the mood to see your junk), wipe your hands and face and put on some deo and a clean T-shirt. Also always put on normal shoes so you don't rape their floors with your cleats. Common courtesy...

So you carry all this extra stuff with you? I have done LSD rides where we stop 3/4 times where ever we feel like it. All we have in our back pockets are phones, money and a tube, bomb etc. I certainly don't worry about a wardrobe change. 

general etiquette applies here

If i arrive dirty, il try and wipe/dust myself clean before i enter. If i am going to make a mess with mud i will not enter.

I always try and wash my sweaty hands and face before i touch anything once seated.

Sweaty helmets belong on the floor or store on the bike outside.

All other items remain in the pocket.

If a coffee shop/restaurant has issue with my sweaty smelly state i'll gladly leave, never to return and make sure all my riding mates dont either.  :)

There is a distinct difference between a helmet on a table and a cricket ballbox on the table.

I'm not offended if an establishment refuses entry based on my sweaty self. There are lots of other places that will take my sweaty money.

edit:

Of course, it's all about how the message come across. Terms like "your kind" "you people" "bliksemse fietsry vullis" is not on...

....So a friend of mine (not a cyclist) has a problem with cyclists and post ride coffee culture ...

Time for new friends?

Time for new friends?

That friend should also seriously reconsider their regular coffee spots.

Like I don't frequent places that is frequented by HOG "gangs"

Quite a valid point, I actually never thought about it, I just always assumed everyone wanted to see my sexy ass in lycra  :eek:

There used to be a coffee shop in Franschhoek that did not allow cyclists (I was asked to leave when I wanted coffee there). They closed their doors after about 3 months of trading - due to not getting clients.

I believe in being considerate - Leave your helmet and gloves at your bike and off the table.

So you carry all this extra stuff with you? I have done LSD rides where we stop 3/4 times where ever we feel like it. All we have in our back pockets are phones, money and a tube, bomb etc. I certainly don't worry about a wardrobe change. 

Post topic is "post ride" so I assume you are ending where you parked your car, otherwise it would be mid ride coffee in which case you probably stopping at a coffee shop that is mainly serving or targeted at cyclists where they likely don't mind.

Is that a LSD ride or is it a 3/4 stage tour de coffee shop? 

I’ll only stop at known cyclist coffee shops on the road bike. I am not going to impose my cycling bibbed meat and two veg to the local ladies out for a coffee, especially not when I am syph and sweaty.

On the mtb, I have shorts on over the bibs anyway, so less problem there. Also mega aware of how mucky I am, so normally stop at a petrol station and sit outside by the bike with a takeaway coffee.

It is a tough call because the result is going to be based one someone else's opinion.

Just an observation though... most coffee shops either have luxurious couches or chairs covered in leather or some exotic fabric or they have plastic chairs. After a ride, forgetting about the mud and dust, I know that I am not dry. A sweaty arse and back generally doesn't play well with what you are sitting on so from a patron's perspective (arriving in my Saturday step outs with girlfriend/wife/kids for a nice early breakfast and coffee) I would be a bit put off to sit on a wet chair that has just been occupied by someone else's sweaty arse....

I realise that everybody's money is the same color regardless of the amount of bodily fluids being excreted but I kinda see the other side of the argument...

Post topic is "post ride" so I assume you are ending where you parked your car, otherwise it would be mid ride coffee in which case you probably stopping at a coffee shop that is mainly serving or targeted at cyclists where they likely don't mind.

Lots of cyclists ( myself included ) ride from home, so a post coffee ride is probably close to home at a local coffee shop........so there is no clean clothes !

It's more about the general principle of sweaty and coffee. So not really a big difference.

Often riding from home, not necessarily in a car - so "mid-ride" yes I suppose but I don't count the 5-10 mins it takes me to get home after the coffee stop so would call it post-ride.

I imagine that if you're driving somewhere to ride, it would be a trailhead of sorts (similar to clubhouse I suppose), and therefore frequented by cyclists / majority cyclists.

Each shop has their own target market, if I am not welcome in my cycling gear then so be it. Wont necessarily stop me from going for a quick cup at another time. Just cycling friendly places get so much more business from me naturally. This goes for a post ride beer as well.

Archived