The switch to flats

I really dislike the term "bad technique" supposedly cause by riding clipped in. I prefer to use the term different technique because that is essentially what it is.

As mentioned horses for courses. It would probably depend on your preference and the type of riding that you do. Greg Minnaar, Sam Hill, or Nino Schurter are all world champions in their respective disciplines yet all three use different platforms of pedals. Who's right?

In my early years of cycling I started with running shoes and the plastic pedals that came with the bike. I progressed to ballet slippers and 520's.

When I started DH, I rode with 510's and Crap Brothers mallets on my DH bike (wouldn't dream of riding clipped in in that situation). 

On my Trail bike I rode with the ballet slippers and the 520's for a long time. I then switched to the 510's and the mallets which I just couldn't get used to.

I now ride with a pair of Shimano AM45's and a pair of DX pedlas. That combo works for me (I can ride clipped in, clipped out and still look #enduro with my flats)

At the end of the day all the different pedal/shoe combos achieved the same result:

They all put a smile on my face!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dislike the term "bad technique" supposedly cause by riding clipped in. I prefer to use the term different technique because that is essentially what it is.

As mentioned horses for courses. It would probably depend on your preference and the type of riding that you do. Greg Minnaar, Sam Hill, or Nino Schurter are all world champions in their respective disciplines yet all three use different platforms of pedals. Who's right?

You theory is a bit flawed. Greg, Sam and Nino can all ride just fine with both platforms and cleats. What they choose to race with is which they feel gives them the edge on race day.

The problem is that if you start on cleats, then you may end up not knowing how to weight the bike properly. Starting on cleats is a bit like learning to drive an auto and means you can't easily switch to a manual. But anyone who drives a manual can use both just fine.

Easy test for anyone to know if cleats have created bad habits or stunted the learning process completely: Put flats on your bike and go for a ride. Can you pick up the rear like you do with cleats? Can you bunnyhop?

You theory is a bit flawed. Greg, Sam and Nino can all ride just fine with both platforms and cleats. What they choose to race with is which they feel gives them the edge on race day.

The problem is that if you start on cleats, then you may end up not knowing how to weight the bike properly. Starting on cleats is a bit like learning to drive an auto and means you can't easily switch to a manual. But anyone who drives a manual can use both just fine.

Easy test for anyone to know if cleats have created bad habits or stunted the learning process completely: Put flats on your bike and go for a ride. Can you pick up the rear like you do with cleats? Can you bunnyhop?

Luckily I can. Being able to drive manual and/or auto still allows you to drive though. Neither is right or wrong. Can you race both? Yes. Can you win in both? Yes.

My point still remains that either will suit some not all and flats aren't the silver bullet to making you a better mountainbiker. My theory may be flawed however.

Hey guys, I’m changing my peddles and have a set of OneUp flats in black made of the composite. They are pretty new so if anyone wants them please pm me.

And Greg races with cleats, rides with flats. 

Hill just does flats

Nino just does cleats

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

I started riding in 1990 on a Bridgestone MB0. This was when toe clips were still a thing. Never bothered with them, and still riding flats to this day. I'm too scared to ride with clipless/clip-in pedals.

I might try it some day, who knows....

I switched to flats about a year ago, I thought I wanted to learn how to manual and the cleats would let me bail easily. I've given up on the manual story but got so used to riding flats I don't want to switch back. Keeping the foot stuck to the pedals becomes subconscious after a few months, but there's definitely gonna be bloody shins in between.

Rode with flats this morning and have been for a few weeks. They give a calf workout just riding downhill and dropping my heels, it's actually more tiring that clipless at this stage. Maybe it's just because I'm used to clipless, but I'd probably do better on that specific course (which has some rough rooty sections) on clipless pedals.

The flats I use are fairly cheap and not very grippy. Someone who rode with us had Raceface pedals and those have a lot more grip, I can see how that will make a big difference combined with the right shoes. My calves would still have to adapt and I'd probably want to wear shin guards.

Edited by Jacquers

Rode with flats this morning and have been for a few weeks. They give a calf workout just riding downhill and dropping my heels, it's actually more tiring that clipless at this stage. Maybe it's just because I'm used to clipless, but I'd probably do better on that specific course (which has some rough rooty sections) on clipless pedals.

The flats I use are fairly cheap and not very grippy. Someone who rode with us had Raceface pedals and those have a lot more grip, I can see how that will make a big difference combined with the right shoes. My calves would still have to adapt and I'd probably want to wear shin guards.

Welcome to life with flats. You have to have the fight pedal and shoe combo. You have to learn to pedal with your arches not the ball of your foot. And yes your calves are going to get hammered.

you use different muscles too, more quads than is necessary if you want an efficient stroke.

stick with it if you want to improve with flats. Or get a skills coach to assist you with getting the body positioning right

After my second ride out at Element/GSpot I must say, it does get a bit easier.

Someone above mentioned pointing your toes when taking off. The combination of that, keeping my legs more relaxed and making a conscious effort to preload my bike before the takeoff has made all the difference. No where near to where I was with the cleats, but each outing is getting better. 

Looking forward to Jonkers tomorrow!

Welcome to life with flats. You have to have the fight pedal and shoe combo. You have to learn to pedal with your arches not the ball of your foot. And yes your calves are going to get hammered.

you use different muscles too, more quads than is necessary if you want an efficient stroke.

stick with it if you want to improve with flats. Or get a skills coach to assist you with getting the body positioning right

It's actually not the pedaling, it was standing, going downhill and dropping my heels. But like you say, one will get used to it. 

I have used various shoes on my flat pedals .... with different degrees of "grip" ....

Then I got a pair of 2FO shoes.  WOW !!!!  These GRIP on flat pedals !!  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I think flat pedals get a lot of bad rep purely because people dont use the correct shoes ....

I have used various shoes on my flat pedals .... with different degrees of "grip" ....

Then I got a pair of 2FO shoes.  WOW !!!!  These GRIP on flat pedals !!  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I think flat pedals get a lot of bad rep purely because people dont use the correct shoes ....

Spot on!

What I do miss is the float provided by SPDs and that might make me go back to clipless.

Edited by Jacquers

I started out using flats. Then I moved to cleats because that's what all the cool okes use. Ended up with lateral pain in my knee. Also I have a L5/S1 fusion so I was always sh!t scared of falling in the tech stuff. Went back to flats, knee pain gone and confidence in the tech stuff is amazing. Although a lot of the cool okes said the pedalling is not so efficient on flats and I will probably come last in events, that is yet to happen.

One can't underestimate the necessity for a good pedal and shoe. Some pedals, like shoes, just aren't up to the task. If you have made for purpose, quality, flat shoes that aren't grippy there's a 99% chance the pedals, and specifically the pins, are the weak point.