TokaiMTB AGM 2019

marko35s

Well since this rumpus started this afternoon, our (non) exclusive association has gained 4 or 5 members.

Maybe we should employ DnD, Gordo and DnD as fund raisers.

Guys? 

I have made substantial donations in the past. No need to have a club for that!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve answered your first point which you’ve clearly ignored.

“Private club”, “mates”, from what planet do you hail? This is earth, join us anytime.

The second point is your opinion.

Based on this, I see no reason for further correspondence with you and wish you well in your endeavors to break something on which you obviously place no value.

Sad that there are people who do not support improving a facility for the greater community. It could be that you’re just selfish. I would actually like to know who you are.. you must feel real brave hiding behind that pseudonym.

you have answered nothing. Lots of deflection I see (which you appear to be very good at!) but no answers. Membership database for what purpose? PBO registration perhaps? You only need that for your committee if I recall the hoops correctly, along with your constitution and a list of members (who don't have to pay btw).

Tokai has been around a long time. It was there before you and will remain long after. It does not need you. Many have taken up the reigns of trail maintenance but none have required membership to a club. You're starting to sound entitled sending out vibes of exclusivity.

BTW look at your recent trail of events to understand why you've drawn attention to your management of TokaiMTB. Its transparent the agenda is to keep attendance at the AGM to a minimum. Why? 

you have answered nothing. Lots of deflection I see (which you appear to be very good at!) but no answers. Membership database for what purpose? PBO registration perhaps? You only need that for your committee if I recall the hoops correctly, along with your constitution and a list of members (who don't have to pay btw).

Tokai has been around a long time. It was there before you and will remain long after. It does not need you. Many have taken up the reigns of trail maintenance but none have required membership to a club. You're starting to sound entitled sending out vibes of exclusivity.

BTW look at your recent trail of events to understand why you've drawn attention to your management of TokaiMTB. Its transparent the agenda is to keep attendance at the AGM to a minimum. Why? 

Hi D&D

I offer to pay for your membership on condition that you attend the AGM, introduce yourself to the people involved, listen to what they have to say and then ask questions all you like. Only and open mind and the use of facts are required.

Send me a pm with your details and I'll do the payment.

Regards

Dawid

The TokaiMTB membership drive started nearly 2 years ago. It was a way to create a database and raise sorely needed funds from people who wanted to help. It is not some sudden creation to deny people a right to be heard at meetings. Fuñds from the membership drive have been used on the trails.

TokaiMTB has changed in an attempt to keep up with the times. I see people harking back to the "good old days". The times have changed and people's expectations and needs have changed. The days of a happy band of trail builders leaning on spades in a pine plantation are long gone.

People want to be safe where they ride be it from crime or if they fall. We've put that in place. We've forged a far better relationship with SANP following the debacle that saw them failing to allocate promised funds to us for maintenance in November last year. Funds have finally been secured and the first tranche paid last week.

It took hours of our time and months to make this kind of headway.

Mark has just started maintenance work in terms of the trail specs submitted to SANP by us. You will start seeing the results in the next few weeks.

There have been some feverish negotiations with stake holders prior to the AGM as well. Some facts needed to be conveyed to these parties. The upshot is that we have the buy in and support of these people. This will result in the injection of funding into reopening the balance of disused trails in Tokai.

These are the facts.

As an aside. How do people feel about paying to be a member of the PPA. What is the difference to what we have done with TokaiMTB?

Edited by Headshot

forgive if this has been answered already, but can someone confirm which one of the following is true:

1. You can't attend nor vote at the AGM if you are not a paying member.
  2. You can attend, but not vote if you are not a paying member.

Hi D&D

I offer to pay for your membership on condition that you attend the AGM, introduce yourself to the people involved, listen to what they have to say and then ask questions all you like. Only and open mind and the use of facts are required.

Send me a pm with your details and I'll do the payment.

Regards

Dawid

Happy to go half with you on this. 

Let me know. 

Eish... Lets take a step back and understand exactly what TokaiMTB is and is not.

- Tokai area is part of Table Mountain National Park. You need to pay for a permit to cycle anywhere in TMNP. This has nothing to do with TokaiMTB and they do not get any of the funds from the permits. (But some funds have been promised, maybe next year's AFS will be different).

- TokaiMTB are an interest group that happens to have permission to build MTB trails in the Tokai sector of TMNP. They are also the only recognized "Interest Group" representing cyclists in the Tokai sector of TMNP.

- TokaiMTB have made a huge contribution the Environmental Management Policy of TMNP, both financing scientific studies and investing man hours lobbying. This policy provides the framework for all cycling in TMNP, without it there would be NO CYCLING anywhere in TMNP. The policy has to be renewed every 5 years, so it is an ongoing work.

- TokaiMTB HAVE to have a constitution. They HAVE to hold an AGM. They HAVE to publish Annual Financial Statements. Without these they would not be able to retain the above recognition, nor the permission to build in Tokai.

- TokaiMTB also HAVE to have a Membership database. This is required by the their constitution and their recognition by TMNP also depends on this.

- TokaiMTB need funds to build trails. They receive funds from donors. They also charge their members a nominal fee. This is reasonable. It also is a a good means of showing that their members are bona fida cyclists with a direct interest in Tokai.

- TokaiMTB have hired a room at the library for their AGM. This is a service the library provides. (Hopefully they struck a deal and got it for free). But it is a private function, not part of the public operation of the library.

- Only members are allowed to vote at their AGM. Perhaps they could allow non members to attend and listen without speaking or voting, but they don't sell beers in the library so I don't think this would be very popular.

- Note TokaiMTB build and maintain the MTB trails. However you do not have to be a member to cycle on them. As they are located in TMNP, if you pay for the permit to get access to the Park, you may use the trails.

- Finally, you do have to respect the "cycling only" and "one way only" rules advertised on trail signage. These rules are approved by and enforced by TMNP. They enforce the "no cycling" signs too!

Now there are a few gotcha's. There is very little chance that TMNP would allow a 2nd cycling group to build trails in Tokai. Also if TokaiMTB do not publish AFS, hold an AGM and keep a membership database, they may get kicked out of Tokai. So if you have an interest in cycling there, it is probably a good idea to join.

There are very few people who have the time and energy to devote to a cause like this as Deon and co. Thanks guys!

Edits: I have fixed a few typos and added a note on the reported funding.

Edited by i24

The TokaiMTB membership drive started nearly 2 years ago. It was a way to create a database and raise sorely needed funds from people who wanted to help. It is not some sudden creation to deny people a right to be heard at meetings. Fuñds from the membership drive have been used on the trails.

TokaiMTB has changed in an attempt to keep up with the times. I see people harking back to the "good old days". The times have changed and people's expectations and needs have changed. The days of a happy band of trail builders leaning on spades in a pine plantation are long gone.

People want to be safe where they ride be it from crime or if they fall. We've put that in place. We've forged a far better relationship with SANP following the debacle that saw them failing to allocate promised funds to us for maintenance in November last year. Funds have finally been secured and the first tranche paid last week.

It took hours of our time and months to make this kind of headway.

Mark has just started maintenance work in terms of the trail specs submitted to SANP by us. You will start seeing the results in the next few weeks.

There have been some feverish negotiations with stake holders prior to the AGM as well. Some facts needed to be conveyed to these parties. The upshot is that we have the buy in and support of these people. This will result in the injection of funding into reopening the balance of disused trails in Tokai.

These are the facts.

As an aside. How do people feel about paying to be a member of the PPA. What is the difference to what we have done with TokaiMTB?

I honestly can't believe some of the comment here from people who I thought were the more rational on the forum. These guys work tirelessly for the greater good agents some hectic red tape and they are still keeping on. Sure there could be some more transparency with the AGM and letting people attend but honestly the rhetoric from some people is nuts. If you don't like something then get involved don't just have a hissy fit and sling accusations, mud and conjecture about the place. It's just unbelievable. 

Thanks to Deon & Co. I'm always astounded about how much effort they put in getting the trails on the mountain open / maintained for us only to have people bitch n' moan endlessly about a rut here, lack of progress there. Come on guys, remember when it was shut down and Tyberberm and Rhodes were about all you could ride? Anyway I'm off to sign up as a member and then I'm going to head to the AGM and see if there is anything I can do from my side to help them help the rest of the hundreds and hundreds of riders who take it for granted. 

On a side note, when I went up on Sunday there were 3 groups who didn't book in / register as the ranger was in the hut. I did call them out when I caught up with them (honestly chasing a couple of mid 60's riders on Ebikes has almost killed me) and one group told me to F-off and 2 others didn't know they had to pay. Not sure if that needs to be raised. 

On a side note, when I went up on Sunday there were 3 groups who didn't book in / register as the ranger was in the hut. I did call them out when I caught up with them (honestly chasing a couple of mid 60's riders on Ebikes has almost killed me) and one group told me to F-off and 2 others didn't know they had to pay. Not sure if that needs to be raised. 

I normally ride in via Silvermine but have gone through the main entrance a handfull of times in the last few weeks and only once has there been someone there checking for permits.  This definitely seems different to how its always been in the past (in my experience).