Buff's Classic/Vintage/Retro rebuilds

On the Single Speed side I found the old knees were taking a beating trying to turn the 45x16 ratio so I popped into Rook Cycles in town and had an 18 tooth rear fitted... sooo much better now. While there I spotted some a neat black brake caliper and lever going for the bargain price of R250 so that had to come home with me. I whipped off the drop bars and replaced them with an old mtb riser bar.

I'm loving the new setup and it's my go-to bike for a commute or quick spin around the block. 

post-39501-0-07786500-1576826383_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-05454700-1576826391_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-16221000-1576826398_thumb.jpg

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also got my grubby paws on an old Cosmos built with Reynold 525 Triathlon tubing and a chrome fork. It was sporting a 7 speed Shimano groupset with a mismatched rear deraillure. The bike was a lovely blue but sadly suffering from years of neglect with lots of scratches in the paint and spots of rust all over. I initially thought I'd just touch it up but finally decided on a full strip and fresh paint job. I don't know much about 525 tubing but I was pleasantly surprised with how light the frame is.

Finding stickers for it is proving to be a challenge so I traced out the headset badge and replicated it using a graphics package. I still need to tackle the COSMOS text.

Here's some pics of Before and current. I'll shoot a primer on the frame this weekend. I'll be spraying the bike a metalic blue.

post-39501-0-84629600-1576829071_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-14011700-1576829088_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-98072300-1576830064_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-87781800-1576830228_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-89392200-1576830235_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-12172300-1576830248_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-88379600-1576830255_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-61280100-1576830270_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-15138400-1576830280_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-25538000-1576830589_thumb.jpg

I also got my grubby paws on an old Cosmos built with Reynold 525 Triathlon tubing and a chrome fork. It was sporting a 7 speed Shimano groupset with a mismatched rear deraillure. The bike was a lovely blue but sadly suffering from years of neglect with lots of scratches in the paint and spots of rust all over. I initially thought I'd just touch it up but finally decided on a full strip and fresh paint job. I don't know much about 525 tubing but I was pleasantly surprised with how light the frame is.

Finding stickers for it is proving to be a challenge so I traced out the headset badge and replicated it using a graphics package. I still need to tackle the COSMOS text.

Here's some pics of Before and current. I'll shoot a primer on the frame this weekend. I'll be spraying the bike a metalic blue.

Did you pick this bike up in George by any chance?

• 3 weeks later...

2 things

1. What software package is that 

2. Why ride any SS ratio less than a 53x16t .... unless you are in the ‘hilly part”of Cape Town

2 things

1. What software package is that 

2. Why ride any SS ratio less than a 53x16t .... unless you are in the ‘hilly part”of Cape Town

1. The softwage package is called Inkscape, its freeware :thumbup:

2. I have old knees... well actually not only my knees... all of me :wacko:

Edited by BuffsVintageBikes

Been a bit quite here lately but I've still been busy in the workshop on a clients bike. It's a LeJuene 531 resto that I'll share later.

Shot some colour onto the Cosmos a few weeks ago and then experienced the joy of having the fresh clear coat ruined when my wifes pet chicken landed on the top tube while trying to escape a visiting puppy. Needless to say, we nearly had roast chicken for Christmas lunch :cursing:

When I build up the motivation I'll see if I can save it with water paper and lots of patience. Until that point it was looking pretty decent  :thumbup:

1. Base coat

2. Metallic blue

3. One coat of clear

post-39501-0-05822400-1578903464_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-64079100-1578903478_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-78810100-1578903508_thumb.jpg

................then experienced the joy of having the fresh clear coat ruined when my wifes pet chicken landed on the top tube while trying to escape a visiting puppy. Needless to say, we nearly had roast chicken for Chirstmas lunch :cursing:

:D Lekke lag ek nou. Of all the things that can go wrong with a respray  :D

:D Lekke lag ek nou. Of all the things that can go wrong with a respray  :D

I know right, WTF :lol:

But I should have known this was just one of those jobs that was going to haunt me after I found a beautiful wind free spot under my caravan port to do the respray only to have the wind change direction halfway through the job. Then while waiting for it to dry I hear this bloody aweful noise that sounds oh so much like my neighbour dust blower and I go rushing outside to discover that the d**s has cut his holiday short by 3 days and decided to clean up his yard that morning, which just so happen to resemble a dust quarry :angry: Heart failure was close at that point, especially after the effort I put into getting the primer coat so good.

If I can save this spray job then I'll have built up enough confidence to spray anything ^_^

Hell this is a great thread. Inspiring stuff Buff.

What do you use to polish the alu parts so well (as in what machinery?)?

Thanks tinmug.

I simply use various polishing wheels & buffers that fit into my drill (which is generally clamped in a vice). I prefer it over a traditional polisher as I can regulate the speed on my drill.

But never underestimate what can be achieved by simple hand polishing.

• 2 weeks later...

This old dog is trying to learn some new tricks :wacko:  I eventually tried my hand at creating a youtube video of one of my resto builds and I have to admit, video filming and editing is a lot more time consuming than I ever imagined. Give me a shifting spanner and a can of WD40 anyday.

Check out the latest Hansom resto here:

Please give it a "Like" and "Subscribe" if it's something you'd like to see more of in the future.

I'm more than likely going to focus on SA built bikes as I feel they deserve a place in the sun after serving us so well during the years of isolation :thumbup:

This old dog is trying to learn some new tricks :wacko:  I eventually tried my hand at creating a youtube video of one of my resto builds and I have to admit, video filming and editing is a lot more time consuming than I ever imagined. Give me a shifting spanner and a can of WD40 anyday.

Please give it a "Like" and "Subscribe" if it's something you'd like to see more of in the future.

I'm more than likely going to focus on SA built bikes as I feel they deserve a place in the sun after serving us so well during the years of isolation :thumbup:

ok ... time to put the drill in the vice and do some polishing at home :P

That is a nice vid, but I like this one a little more :)

LOL... yep, that was something very special by the Wilddog forum. That little laaitie is now twice that size and ripping around on a KTM125 :thumbup:

"What grit sand paper did you finish with on the stem?" - I took it through 320, 600, 800 and 1500 wet paper and then Autosol on the wheel. It gives me great results every time.