Buff's Classic/Vintage/Retro rebuilds

I think the Hubbers following this thread will be able to help...

I have a beautiful Lynskey Ridgeline Ti frame - got if from a dear friend

Obviously the typical brushed Ti look.  The frame carries a large and deepish scratch on the headtube and a few minor blemishes to the finish on the rest. 

I'm not sure how to restore this.  Not wanting to make things worse, I don't want to attempt "brush" the blemishes out.  Using the wrong grit will ruin the frame.

So I thought to change the look altogether. Is it possible to buff the entire frame to a more polished look?

Looking fwd to a few suggestions.

THANKS

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any metal can be polished for sure but I personally think titanium looks better in a burnished type finish.

My suggestion would be to sand the scratches out as best as possible using different grades of wet paper and then have the frame vapour blasted or bead blasted to get that industrial look back. It's a fairly inexpensive process and if vapor blasting, you can choose how polished you want the look to be i.e. different blast media gives different results.

Any metal can be polished for sure but I personally think titanium looks better in a burnished type finish.

My suggestion would be to sand the scratches out as best as possible using different grades of wet paper and then have the frame vapour blasted or bead blasted to get that industrial look back. It's a fairly inexpensive process and if vapor blasting, you can choose how polished you want the look to be i.e. different blast media gives different results.

Great :-)

I'm up in JHB, do you have any contacts here? 

Great :-)

I'm up in JHB, do you have any contacts here? 

No sorry, no contacts up there but any car or motorcycle restoration forums/groups will be able to refer you, they often use vapour blasting solutions as it's not nearly as infasive as sand blasting. Just make sure you make your needs made clear, I've only used it on steel and aluminium with good results but titanium is a lot harder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Cosmos looks brilliant. 

Well done Brett. you are inspiring guys that are scared to tackle these DIY jobs.

he wants them to contact him for some RESTO jobs, he does not have enough work to do 

• 2 weeks later...

Desperate times call for desperate measures... especialy if you missed out on buying yourself and IDT before lockdown.

So I went ahead and built myself one using some scrap wood, two old hubs and a repurposed Holdfast clamp.

It's a total biaatch to pedal with my full weight on the hubs but it works and I guess that's all that counts for now.

post-39501-0-55101100-1587028579_thumb.jpg

Edited by BuffsVintageBikes