Dual VS decent hardtail

CtnSmith

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If only 3 years ago you could meet now you... :P

hahahahaha This is incredibly true... Ezelenduro on a HT SS was something! 

But seriously, Now that I have the XC and the trail bike in full retard dual suss mode, I will never ever go back.. I'm sorry Miss Jackson.. Forever ever....

hahahahaha This is incredibly true... Ezelenduro on a HT SS was something! 

But seriously, Now that I have the XC and the trail bike in full retard dual suss mode, I will never ever go back.. I'm sorry Miss Jackson.. Forever ever....

LOL I know. I remember watching you go down SS5, I think it was. In your flannel. Coming pip, and just holding on for dear life. 

I bought a large Giant Anthem X on Monday for R20k, 2016 model, I think (I didn’t bother checking the actual year. Mostly SLX, 1x11 conversion as the frame has cable guides for the FD, Fox fork and shock, Alu frame, Mavic runs.

For R20k, there are similar spec’d bikes out there. Patience and luck and you’ll find what you’re looking for, within reason.

Just remember - Ollie Munnik rode Attakwas on his own branded HT.

Why not look at the Signal Pro @ R22000

I've also raced Freedom Challenge on  fully rigid single speed BUT it doesn't mean it was a better '1 bike' choice to a proper bike.

Seems that Signal Marketing shenanigan has worked though! hahaha

I think everyone looks at this arse about face.

A dual suss is amazing on corrugated roads where you can sit in the saddle and still put power down without getting battered. It is really forgiving and will leave you less fatigued. 

It has better traction, especially on loose or technical climbs.

On single track, it allows for mistakes and will assist you on some things BUT the above points are what makes you faster if we are talking 100mm xcm bike.

So for me, if you ride most trail networks in SA, a 120mm front/100-110mm rear is a sweet spot as long as it isn't an old Epic with a 75' head angle or a Swift, which is basically a road bike with suspension.

IMHO, a trail oriented hard tail ridden on trails as a trail bike will be better and more fun than a full suss xcm bike, but if we are talking modern(ish) geo with a dropper post and above suspension (ish) with a 68-68.5' HA I would go for it.

Not all bikes are built equal, so comparing a hardtail to a dual sus is probably a bit too open ended to get any sort of definitive answer.

I wouldn't ride a hardtail as my 1 bike ever again.... ever. But I do have one for when I want to zip around Tokai in the wet 

YOU JUST GOT OLD !?!?!?!

I also started out on a hardtail, eventually rode a Sola 1.

Got myself a Silverback dual suspension thereafter.

I was worried about the extra weight before upgrading and turned out to smash all my previous PB's, even going up.

My call is, even if you get a fairly entry level dual suspension, in 5 months you buy a new groupset on a Black Friday deal or save up over time to build her up.

My 2c, at your price point the choice is between a fantastic ht or a good dual. Both used of course. Id take the dual in a heart beat. Also much easier reselling a dual at that price point than a ht, better investment in my opinion. Id wait for a bargain dual to pop in in the budget that really wins you over and act quick

Edited by Jacoo

My 2c, at your price point the choice is between a fantastic ht or a good dual. Both used of course. Id take the dual in a heart beat. Also much easier reselling a dual at that price point than a ht, better investment in my opinion. Id wait for a bargain dual to pop in in the budget that really wins you over and act quick

Also consider the price of some upgrades you might want to do such as a dropper when you do decide

Thanks for all the responses so far... So what would your recommendations be between the sido 2(2nd hand in classified section) and the new merida in the Solomons link?