[Event] 2019 PPA One Tonner

Pedal Power Association

Your mixed team is looking strong with some quality riders in their.

One of two needs to shave their legs though and jislike get the sock game sorted... :)

oh and bike maintenance....some bikes looked like they just completed a cyclo-cross course!!

This is not the slick operation we expect and aspire to

:)

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

decided last thursday that this would be a good thing to enter as haven't ridden my bike enough past 2/3 months (been running and overseas) and I could see how the muscle memory was..

Glad I didn't get windgat and went for the "wimp" 110km option (or the metric one tonner)!

Was in h-k, and had a really great 15-20 lead group that was nicely in my comfort zone...until about 85km in and i fell off the back of one of those bigger rollers and the downhill I thought I'd catch back on ended up being a flat road.

Watched the group 100-200m ahead for a good 3km, but just could not make it back!

got a bit lonely in the final closing section, and was caught by the rest of the group in the final km.

Good honest day out on the bike, despite not having road closures felt quite comfortable in the yellow line (once dodging cateyes). Not sure if the surface had a clean before hand, but not nearly as much glass as I'd expected. conditions were just right, not that windy, not too chilly at start and not too warm at finish.

I'd do this again, (just with more miles in the legs).

I was in that second group, up until 71km, when a touch of wheels brought the guys right in front of me to the ground. Emergency braking prevented me from plowing into them, but some contact was still made, and I did quite an impressive display of an 54yr old doing an involuntary split. After untangling the bikes from each other, I was left behind, trying to straighten my bars/wheel, with the group disappearing up the road. 

I set off after them, but could not really get going. In the ride I noticed my brakes rubbing, and not even opening the brakes all the way stopped the rubbing. At the left turn at the fruitseller 4 way stop, I gave up on my chase, and just continued on at my own pace, smack bang in no mans land, no group behind me, and "my" group getting smaller up the road.

Two young guns from L-O caught me and offered to "tow me back to the group", but they were to strong for me, and after a few kilometers I told them to carry on with their own race.

I struggled on my own, with cramps starting to set in. Right on top the last climb at Windmeul the rest of L-O came flying past, but I had nothing left to get in their bus.

I finished about 15min after the group I was in at the time of my fall, slightly bummed at "what could have been"

When putting my bike in my car, I noticed the one brake pad was forced sideways in the crash, and was rubbing against the tire. This must have contributed in me not getting going properly again. 

2nd fall/crash I was involved in, in three races.  :cursing:

We did leave a Savage in the group ahead just to make sure we took the group win, or he didn't hear Brendon :P

There was a group ahead of the Big C group that we caught on the way to Hermon as well. From what I saw everybody rode very well, besides one or two folk that got to 3rd or 4th wheel in the paceline then pulled the rip cord to get out of their as they saw the front looming.

I thought he was left there to keep the pace down until the rest of Savages gets back, you know, like you guys did while descending Botman's  :ph34r:

I wasn't complaining though as the break from hammering was welcomed....

I thought he was left there to keep the pace down until the rest of Savages gets back, you know, like you guys did while descending Botman's  :ph34r:

I wasn't complaining though as the break from hammering was welcomed....

Will have to finish up the race report to explain that. The dude that went off the front there to go it alone for the last 60km was a gem.

High 5 to the PPA

After the route mapping mess on Sunday with the short route, they have acknowledge that there went something wrong on their side, that they will learn from it and assist those that were affected to enjoy another PPA short ride.

;-)

Is seeding updated from this event yet (mine isn't, but not ppa member if that's the issue)

If yes, then what's the beta?

Is seeding updated from this event yet (mine isn't, but not ppa member if that's the issue)

Not updated yet.  Given that more than a third of participants have invalid results, they may be holding off on running it.

It usually takes three days for them to reconcile the results and then upload and run the seeding calcs for everyone in the database. So generally its not updated on racetec before the Wednesday evening after the event

shame, and I thought my mate who does Rondebosch parkrun results had a nightmare...

See they have new winner... 2:48 finish time.. seriously impressive!!!

attachicon.gifA1C6F727-75F3-49BD-9A3B-F822F7FBAB9E.jpeg

LOL Alain is a buddy of mine. He started in A for the 110km. His initial finish time was 10hrs odd(Obviously the time he actually finished)

They have now "rectified" their mistake, They have given him a time but put him in the wrong group..

What a shambles this has been!!

Oh and his seeding was dropped to D after starting from A in the race.

Edited by FootballingCyclist