947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

Got to love the physics of it

Work required to complete the 947:

2019 - 1953kJ

2018 - 1985kJ

Same route, very slightly lighter this year, so the amount of total work needed stays roughly the same.....

More power just means you complete the amount of work quicker.

(You might require less total work if your bunch riding is ideal vs riding alone in the wind, but for allot of us we have already perfected the art of the wheelsuck.... :devil: )

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A BIG Chapeau to the gent in the Clover kit with the Cannondale Gravel Grinder in VE - 2nd bunch.  On gavel knobbies nogal.  You made us all look like fools on our 6.8kg road bikes!! 

Respect!!

I Believe he goes under the name @scalpel...

Got to love the physics of it

Work required to complete the 947:

2019 - 1953kJ

2018 - 1985kJ

Same route, very slightly lighter this year, so the amount of total work needed stays roughly the same.....

More power just means you complete the amount of work quicker.

(You might require less total work if your bunch riding is ideal vs riding alone in the wind, but for allot of us we have already perfected the art of the wheelsuck.... :devil: )

I love looking at data, but have nothing to look at this year :cursing:

Now to wait for a black friday deal on an Edge 530/830 unit.

Must say I was very irritated with the Cows, they kept yelling at people and even shoved a rider in a section where it was very congested. They seem to think that this is their race only and they act like the blue light brigade when they are pulling a cart. Every year we experience some kind of unexplainable behaviour from them. If someone shoved me they wouldn't have finnished the race.

Well done all.

My ride didnt go that well, went too hard from the start, then lost my garmin on malibongwe over those speed breakers, the mount broke and unit flew off. From there it was like riding blind, we rely soo much on tech.

Got dropped up Jan Smuts then had loads of people pass me, so sat up abit thinking I'm way off and there's no chance of doing a good time.

Picked up a good bunch on the M1, had some time to recover and went strong till the end. Finished in 3:02, was soo bummed about it. Had I know my times along the route, I'm sure I would have pushed harder.

Oh well, thats how it goes.

If anyone comes across a Edge 510, please let me know. My name and contact number is on the start up screen.

Cheers

Maybe yours?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/184021-garmin-edge-510-at-947-malibongwe-road/?do=findComment&comment=3580460

Must say I was very irritated with the Cows, they kept yelling at people and even shoved a rider in a section where it was very congested. They seem to think that this is their race only and they act like the blue light brigade when they are pulling a cart. Every year we experience some kind of unexplainable behaviour from them. If someone shoved me they wouldn't have finnished the race.

Im glad Im not the only one who feels like this.about the cows.  They have to accept that they will be riding with less experienced and slower rides and that these riders have EVERY right to be on the road.

They forced my wife to the side of the road, so much so that she missed the water point, one she really needed to stop at.

A BIG Chapeau to the gent in the Clover kit with the Cannondale Gravel Grinder in VE - 2nd bunch.  On gavel knobbies nogal.  You made us all look like fools on our 6.8kg road bikes!! 

Respect!!

Thank you kind sir!! It was indeed me and I had a blast!! So much respect for the Cannondale Topstone I was riding. Entry level gravel bike that is so diverse and fun to ride!!

After getting a chance to look at my data, and examine myself, I'm putting all the blame of the rubbish race on my saddle.

Never have i experienced the amount of swollen bruising down there like I have yesterday.

My theory is I was putting strain on all other contact point in order to relieve the butt pain.

So i'll be on the look out for a new saddle.

Saw Veebees Garmin in the middle of the road at the rumble strips, sorry was not gonna stop. My bad.
Tough ride. Legs were not as strong as i hoped. Could not find a bunch that was at my pace. Kept on having people come past me, but managed a 2:54 which was middle of batch so happy. Even happier after the 3rd beer.

Saw the pedestrian at the petrol station next to Hyde Park. Not sure what happened. Condolences to riders down.

I saw 'n cycling glove and a helmet on the road yesterday - was still wondering how one loses a glove and a helmet?  :blink: