Bike Shop Damaged My Frame Issue - Help!

mrcg

Just get the new frame. If it were me I'd get the new frame and then get someone local i trust to do the rest. The extra costs can be seen the same as if you'd bought a new frame and had to do upgrades. Either way it's not a great situation in the first place but it's not a bad result at all. 

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my 2c take the frame,and ask your new lbs if you can assist in the rebuild ,just now the old lbs will dig its heels in,and then legal fees will cost a lot more,and you will have no bike for a long time,

So glad tomorrow is friday.

The person that guesses the bikeshop and brand correctly can go home tomorrow.

It's Friday. My guess is it was Col Mustard with he dagger in the hall.

I'm with the OP on this one.

They damaged his frame due to their negligence. He reported the problems to them the first weekend that the problems appeared. They told him it takes time to "seat in" (huh?). What they should have done was check their work again. They chose not to, again more negligence.

My opinion, they must make good on the damage they caused his bike. If this means a new frame, then so be it, if this means a new seat post, wheels build etc, they must cover these costs. 

Had they done the job properly in the first place, his bike would have been in perfect working order and he would not have been out of pocket.

Edited by Longbarn Killer

Is it standard practice to epoxy a bb into a frame?

No it is not. 

It became a preventative measure after this Specific brand started experiencing problems with their bb's in those frames.  (Did this Lbs receive the memo from H.O. to carry out such installation instructions?  Is this Lbs an authorized dealer to work on such frames?) 

Just some things to keep in mind, should you want to go the legal route.

Seems to me like it is easy for Head office to pretend to be on your side and shift blame to the Lbs while all the while they are the ones that should be taking responsibility for the manufacturing defect in their frames.

Agree with your sentiment in principle OP but the fight will be costly and time consuming and you may end up with nothing.

Perhaps take the offer and help others avoid making the same mistake...give them a bad rating or tell your friends in the previous province or something. this may hurt the negligent lbs more.

I had a similar less costly experience. Never went back and told my friends about experience.

From the opinions I read and my own thought, I'd first take a replacement frame (sourced used or new, your discretion) and then I'd continue to name the original lbs + location and head office, because they still giving you a half baked cake and leaving you with a mess to clean up and pay for which you did everything 100% to the letter.
I also believe they should put you back in exactly the same position you were before with no cost to you and since they won't do the right and at the very least decent thing, they deserve to not receive business from like minded riders.

Please let us know the Brand and LBS  -  Us consumers need to know who they are and more importantly how they move forward and resolve such a problem.

If they are named here a.s.a.p it could give them a platform to show that they are willing to deliver good customer service and fix their mistakes and in such a way paint a good name for themselves. 

In such a way potential customers might consider to use their products and services in the future !    If they don't rectify their problem then we can confidently stay away?

As many others have stipulated, take the new frame and call it a day. Technically, your old LBS should strip and reassemble your bike at their cost due to their poor assembly and maintenance. *edit: I however, wouldn't let them touch my components and the new frame if I was you...

Alternatively, use this as a good time to get your own tooling, make Youtube your friend and assemble your own bike. I refuse to take my bikes anywhere near a bike shop after all the horror stories I have heard, as well as experienced in the past. I do all my own maintenance, assembly etc. and haven't had a problem in years - a lot cheaper in the long run as well!

Edited by Schnavel

Think you'll end up loosing dime here regardless. Get new frame. Sell it. Get similar but threaded BB. Support your LBS for the build labour and small other parts. It's really an investment in the sport. Money WELL spent is money to your TRUSTED LBS. Particularly into labour costs. They don't make massive markups on parts usually.

If you think of this as a warranty scenario:  You have a frame that "broke" which is not your fault either, the manufacturer has to supply you a frame, all the costs are for your account.....If the same frame can't be supplied then, all parts needed are for your account also.  My bike is insured and under warranty, my insurance won't pay for the new parts that aren't compatible(not that I expect them to) so I have to upgrade at my own cost.  The absolute upside is: NEW FRAME, with new shock, you have recourse and warranty on new frame,  you have new geometry (and lets face it, that's better).  New hub, again better.  wheel rebuild, BETTER as you said they were built incorrectly.  I understand the cost is extra and annoying for a situation that is not of your making/fault, but MAKE THE MOST of this opportunity and walk away.  Most shops in the wrong would not always "make right" like this shop is doing, and you would be forced to spend money on litigation and the time, energy wasted on that would be FAR more than this easy solution in front of you.  Take the new frame, run to your new LBS, have coffee and beers with them while the upgrade your bike and don't look back

should have taken the new frame and spent that few grands on getting everything moved over...

but if you can you live with riding a repaired bike then so be it.

I'm real sorry to say this but, the LBS are not going to honor anything further than the replacement frame.

Even though they made some major errors and on principle alone it's only fair that they replace what they've broken. 

But if you go the legal route and or fight it even further you'll end up losing more than they will. I mean the longer this drags on the longer you'll be off your bike. My suggestion will be to take the new frame and build it yourself up to the point where your talent / skills run out and then take it to the new bike shop for assistance. 

I would take the Spezial offer of a new frame, pay the build over costs.

Then post your new bike picture along with shop name and costs involved. 

So if anyone else with a BB that needs to "seat in" can know what they are in for.

nothing like poking a lion with a stick to get it going.....on a friday :lol: