Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

They already do! Even with it's own name and start time. It's called Eroica and starts the following weekend. :ph34r:

But the roads are bumpy and it’s for tougher people

I would like to go this year

Edited by Waynemol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There will always be issues to content on these  mass events...all the people on bikes of various types etc...

Somehow i wonder how they make it through the day but the more the merrier i suppose....and even those in chicken costumes can ride bikes....look who hasn't been passed by a chicken costume...? was once..( by the start line...)

On another note...as an international entry i am expected to put forward 1100 rand to ride over the route...wonderful that it is but its another increase from last year...its at least a 15% increase on present day exchange calculations...the worst part of this is the seeding...the amount of riding off line last year was crazy and the standard of riding was poor as the wind became a tail wind in 2019...all in all the riding from some was reckless..saw a few accidents as well..

I suppose i could try my luck and pop into Pick & Pay and get a preferential entry and seeding....but having a foreign passport that way might not work...

Will i enter ? i possibly will...because the feeling of achieving a decent time  with training and going up towards Millers Point and Chapmans Peak if your legs are good is something that cant be replaced...ok and views around Misty Cliffs...

no way am I  getting an e-bike...

If its like the normal smart shopper discount, it will be R5 and you will stand in a really long que at the start and wait forever to get going.

LOL true story

There will always be issues to content on these mass events...all the people on bikes of various types etc...

Somehow i wonder how they make it through the day but the more the merrier i suppose....and even those in chicken costumes can ride bikes....look who hasn't been passed by a chicken costume...? was once..( by the start line...)

On another note...as an international entry i am expected to put forward 1100 rand to ride over the route...wonderful that it is but its another increase from last year...its at least a 15% increase on present day exchange calculations...the worst part of this is the seeding...the amount of riding off line last year was crazy and the standard of riding was poor as the wind became a tail wind in 2019...all in all the riding from some was reckless..saw a few accidents as well..

I suppose i could try my luck and pop into Pick & Pay and get a preferential entry and seeding....but having a foreign passport that way might not work...

Will i enter ? i possibly will...because the feeling of achieving a decent time with training and going up towards Millers Point and Chapmans Peak if your legs are good is something that cant be replaced...ok and views around Misty Cliffs...

no way am I getting an e-bike...

So great to hear someone excited about this event and willing to come from far.

If you have someb decent results from races overseas, I suggest you pop them an email in January, requesting a higher seeding.

So great to hear someone excited about this event and willing to come from far.

If you have someb decent results from races overseas, I suggest you pop them an email in January, requesting a higher seeding.

Many thanks for your kind comments...i am gladly domiciled in SA...Its a bit annoying that there is a price hike( i run on SA living expenses as do plenty if not all on here ) and while not looking for privileges I would like the seeding to be more considerate...I have done 3 cycle tours now..last year was the slowest( wasn't it for everyone?..it just gets congested...and of course riding standards suffer to a degree...

have a good weekend all 

Edited by daveno7

Strange...I'm an import too but don't pay international entry fee...

Many thanks for your kind comments...i am gladly domiciled in SA...Its a bit annoying that there is a price hike( i run on SA living expenses as do plenty if not all on here ) and while not looking for privileges I would like the seeding to be more considerate...I have done 3 cycle tours now..last year was the slowest( wasn't it for everyone?..it just gets congested...and of course riding standards suffer to a degree...

have a good weekend all

Strange...I'm an import too but don't pay international entry fee...

Trying to work around this..Racetec account defaults to international entry fee...will take it up with Cycle tour organisers on Monday....have also joined Pedal Power...no problem with this..

I paid R610 including the racetec chip (starting to get really annoyed with the timing nonsense since I started cycling, I have 3 boards from different timing orgs and now I must buy another device from the same company as one of the boards ????) and I registered with a french passport number...

the racetec one I think for the stellies mtb challenge ? or maybe the elgin valley marathon not to sure, anyways it wasn't long ago. but looks like for mtb and road events they use different devices (board vs that little chip that you tie to your fourks on the road bike)

have a good weekend all

But if you have an SA address you should be able to enter as a normal entrant. At least that is what I did for a decade before becoming a permanent resident and getting an SA ID.