Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

As mentioned before, this will be my first CTCT.  I would like my wife to track my progress as they would like to wait at the finish line.  Are there any apps available to track the ride and progress of the cycle tour?

WhatsApp:  (In a conversation with your wife): Attach -> Location -> Share live location -> 8 hours

Google Maps: Account (tap your profile pic on the top right) -> Location Sharing -> Get Started -> Share your real-time location -> For 1 hour (click '+' a few times to get it up to 3/4/5/6 hours).  Then select either your wife's Google login (on the top row), or send via email or WhatsApp (bottom row)

If you want to do this without a phone, your wife can try the Racetec app, but it usually doesn't work.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We arrived safely in Montagu at the Guano Caves yesterday morning and am enjoying the campsite at the foot of the mountain. I am consuming much beer.

Tomorrow we will pack up in the am and head towards CPT to the expo for number collection and then to Somerset West.

Am looking forward to Sunday morning!

WhatsApp:  (In a conversation with your wife): Attach -> Location -> Share live location -> 8 hours

Google Maps: Account (tap your profile pic on the top right) -> Location Sharing -> Get Started -> Share your real-time location -> For 1 hour (click '+' a few times to get it up to 3/4/5/6 hours).  Then select either your wife's Google login (on the top row), or send via email or WhatsApp (bottom row)

If you want to do this without a phone, your wife can try the Racetec app, but it usually doesn't work.

I usually use the whatsapp one.

Do you know if the power consumption is the same for both?

I use Strava Beacon, but that requires a summit subscription

I usually use the whatsapp one.

Do you know if the power consumption is the same for both?

I'm not sure.  Both use a bit more power than usual because they're talking to your GPS and the internet, but if you're using Strava at the time it probably doesn't make much difference because your GPS is on anyway.

As mentioned before, this will be my first CTCT. I would like my wife to track my progress as they would like to wait at the finish line. Are there any apps available to track the ride and progress of the cycle tour?

Racetec app used to be very reliable but lately seems hit and miss. My toppie is still on the start line at the MTB race last weekend according to the app. To add to the other options above, garmin connect has livetrack. But what ever you choose, if it is phone based, make sure you have plenty data.

To make it cycling relevant, I got one of the meteorologists racing to have a look see at the weather for Sunday. You won't get a better prediction than this:

Generally it looks like there will be a bit of cloud around early on, slowly lifting through the day. But unlikely you’re have any drizzle or anything.

Temperature between 17-21 from early morning to early afternoon.

Wind will be southerly light in the morning and building through the day. 5-12kn in the morning.

But by 11am in the 10-18kn range. At the top of the climbs or in areas where it funnels through the gaps, you could see 25kn by midday.

Hopefully that helps bud.

Most of these forecasts rely on a few international weather models. (The sailors forecasters probably have access to more alternates models than us amateurs do). However there is still some uncertainty in the models. There is a frontal system passing south of the country. If it happens to arrive, say 6 hours, early or late, or pass 100km further North or South, it will have a direct effect on our race.

As the time between "forecast" and "hoopla" gets less, the confidence in the model improves. By say 7PM in Saturday you can rely on quite accurate, detailed forecasts - but by then the Hubbers are focused on other things!

So basically go out and ride. If the wind is a bit more or a bit less, your time will be a bit more or a bit less. The fun will remains the same!

If they really wanted to cause a fuss, then the 1% have currently been playing with their toys at the waterfront this week. And is very open to the public

To make it cycling relevant, I got one of the meteorologists racing to have a look see at the weather for Sunday. You won't get a better prediction than this:

Generally it looks like there will be a bit of cloud around early on, slowly lifting through the day. But unlikely you’re have any drizzle or anything.

Temperature between 17-21 from early morning to early afternoon.

Wind will be southerly light in the morning and building through the day. 5-12kn in the morning.

But by 11am in the 10-18kn range. At the top of the climbs or in areas where it funnels through the gaps, you could see 25kn by midday.

Hopefully that helps bud.

If you hit Chappies and Bossie between 11 and 1, which most groups will do, the southerly that will pick up to around 30 km/h should help most up the climbs and keep you cool. So, nail those climbs and you will easily win 10 to 15 minutes on them alone. I guess I will hit Chappies around 10 to 10h30.

IF you have a garmin device use the garmin live track feature - Strava premium users have a siilar thing called beacon.

As mentioned before, this will be my first CTCT.  I would like my wife to track my progress as they would like to wait at the finish line.  Are there any apps available to track the ride and progress of the cycle tour?

Using phone apps with GPS on all the time will result in very hot phone and flat battery after 3 to 4 hours.

Rather keep your phone charged in case of emergency.

We arrived safely in Montagu at the Guano Caves yesterday morning and am enjoying the campsite at the foot of the mountain. I am consuming much beer.

Tomorrow we will pack up in the am and head towards CPT to the expo for number collection and then to Somerset West.

Am looking forward to Sunday morning!

good. as we know...carb loading is a very scientific and important process. force feed those carbs as much as you can. :clap:

sommer klap a frosty in the parking lot at the start. gels are overrated.

Edited by morneS555

I keep my iPhone attached to a small powerbank, and keeps going for about 10 hours.  I use the phone as a cycle computer.

Using phone apps with GPS on all the time will result in very hot phone and flat battery after 3 to 4 hours.

Edited by Sbloomer

Most of these forecasts rely on a few international weather models. (The sailors forecasters probably have access to more alternates models than us amateurs do). However there is still some uncertainty in the models. There is a frontal system passing south of the country. If it happens to arrive, say 6 hours, early or late, or pass 100km further North or South, it will have a direct effect on our race.

As the time between "forecast" and "hoopla" gets less, the confidence in the model improves. By say 7PM in Saturday you can rely on quite accurate, detailed forecasts - but by then the Hubbers are focused on other things!

So basically go out and ride. If the wind is a bit more or a bit less, your time will be a bit more or a bit less. The fun will remains the same!

I have bigger issues to solve like

What kit to wear with what socks!!

My basic Samsung J8 informs significant others of my position on every ride - from 1 to 9 hours without running flat or overheating using Garmin Live track - a service which seems to have ironed out it's teething problems.