Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

Was good meeting you even though it was in the middle of suffering! Sorry you missed your Sub 4!

Nice meeting you too.

Did you get your sub 4? You must have considering you started behind me.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When do they start the 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour page?  Already excited to go out and do it again (with a bit more training this time)...

On the positive side, another successful race / ride, might help peak interest, but maybe they should instead of aiming for the 35k rider for only 30k, which might place less stress on the start / chutes / groups

would love to hear some feedback of those on ebikes.  Starting at the very end, getting the worst of the weather ...

would be interesting to hear your take on the CTCT.

The ebikes coming from behind in the alphabet soup are plain simply dangerous. These people on these powered bicycles shouting at you to move left while we are all crawling up hill and naturally bunched, so they can scream past is bollocks. Dont mind the ebike, just be safe in the way you use that little "power" button. They should send these e bikes off just after $. Get them away from everyone else.

Having said that, these was one guy, part of the Grey School old boys riding, that had stage 4 cancer. He was on an ebike, that was highly motorised - but he was very respectful of everyone around him.

When do they start the 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour page? Already excited to go out and do it again (with a bit more training this time)...

On the positive side, another successful race / ride, might help peak interest, but maybe they should instead of aiming for the 35k rider for only 30k, which might place less stress on the start / chutes / groups

Already been started

I was very close to the crash, one guy went over a bump in the road, bottle came out of cage and under another ones wheel taking him down, guy next to him panicked and slammed on brakes also going down and taking plenty guys with him. Managed to get past somehow but heard plenty other going down behind me.

I wish they would resurface that road. The surface is getting worse every year.

would love to hear some feedback of those on ebikes.  Starting at the very end, getting the worst of the weather ...

would be interesting to hear your take on the CTCT.

Long story - I am probably the stereotypical e-bikerider. Mid 50's and overweight. :) I nearly did not ride as I still suffer from the damage done by 2 serious falls down staircases 3 weeks apart.

First off - big ups to all the cyclists on route - I did not hear one snide remark etc. I set out to stay in the factory setting for "eco mode" as much as possible (untill my knee and hip would kis out) and would (and did not) ask cyclist to get out of my way on uphills etc - I sat behind and waited for a space to move past. 

I think most of the 6F group caught up with the 6b-e groups pretty soon. The effect of the wind etc just seems to be almost nothing on the e-bike (even in eco mode). I did hit the next mode up on SuikerbossieI -not proud of it. For those counting stats and used up about 920W of battery (one full 500W and 60% from a 700) and weigh 131Kg, average 24.something and finished in about 4Hrs 53 Mins (4 hrs 40 moving time).

I finished a good hour quicker than my best time on a mountain bike. Will do the e-bike thing again next year with less body weight - not to be quicker but just to hopefully be in even less pain (a normal bike is out of the question health wise) It was great! THANKS FOR LETTING US MIX IT UP WITH THE REAL CYCLISTS! :)

PS - I noticed a few e-bikes that had numbers a lot higher up than 6F - also a few constant power e-bikes - you need to "pedal" to get the motor turning - but with absolutely no resistance.

I was quite fascinated looking at some of the ebikes to what the purpose of the pedals are as they raced past us on the climb

...which might place less stress on the start / chutes / groups

Am I right in saying that access to the chutes was different today from last year.?

Just felt so much more difficult to get to where I needed to be.

Ended up dropping a group or 2 just because it was easier.

Why people starting at 9:00 are hogging the area at 6:30 only they will know.

... waving to a crowd in middle of groups and you can only get nervous when the road gets bumpy...

Me, guilty as charged, but no on died. I tried to keep to the side as much as possible though.

The ebikes coming from behind in the alphabet soup are plain simply dangerous. These people on these powered bicycles shouting at you to move left while we are all crawling up hill and naturally bunched, so they can scream past is bollocks. Dont mind the ebike, just be safe in the way you use that little "power" button. They should send these e bikes off just after $. Get them away from everyone else.

Having said that, these was one guy, part of the Grey School old boys riding, that had stage 4 cancer. He was on an ebike, that was highly motorised - but he was very respectful of everyone around him.

Hi Slowbee

I did notice some of my fellow e-bike rider shouting at people to keep left - but most people shouting that were on regular bikes - by far! (Just as dangerous as doing that on an e-bike). Most of the 2x around groups took care - but one big peloton came racing screaming and shouting - and swearing past the slow groups at double the speed the slow pokes were doing - WAY more dangerous - sorry...

Wife didn't ride today, but digged the vibe around the race this weekend. Now I'm left with a few options for next year.. 1st lap race, 2nd lap with her...or get a tandem now, do a few PPA events to get seeding up and race CTCT with a tandem next year..decisions decisions