Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

When I rode past he was bandaged up but the pools of blood was still on the road surface. He had blood on his face. It was between him and a guy that came off lighter from the incident who sat on the opposite side of the road.

I saw some really nicely mangled front wheels approaching Smitswinkel, but the injuries did not look too bad. 

Edited by Rouxenator

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know what happened to the poor chap who was sitting in the road dazed, in a pool of blood, on the downhill after Cape Point? He might have been from the 1A/1B/1C mega bunch (or possibly bit earlier) from looks of it.

A traffic control vehicle parked in the middle of the road to protect him, slowing everyone to a virtual halt in order to go round him (understandably). There was a lot of blood and I have been feeling quite worried for him.

Same crash as above. Not sure state but left scene ok

Same crash as above. Not sure state but left scene ok

o, anyone know what was going where the fire brigade was using ropes to repel down cliff to retrieve something/one?  Hope not rider that went over

I rode today again with the Fiancee doing her second CTCT.

Started in 4J with her and we tried getting her over the line in under 5 hours.

At one stage it looked like a 4h30 was on the cards, but with Chappies and Suikerbossie still to come it was always going to be a long shot.

Official racetec result for her says 4h54 and mine 6h12...?

The wind really got pretty bad around Ocean View side for us and coming down Chappies and scariest part was the last 18km coming down Victoria Road. You could feel the bike being shaken all over and just had to hold on tight.

These races always seem to be a completely different world when riding lower down with guys swerving across the road, changing lanes on descents with no indication whatsover, or just stopping in the middle of the road to wait for a buddy to catch up.

Saw a bloke on Smitswinkel climb lying next to the road. Hopefully a very slow crash.

Can't see how you can crash there and stay down. Rather that than something worse than a slow-mo fall.

I also saw someone on the side of the road at the beginning of the Smitswinkel climb. Medics were there and he/she was in a recovery blanket. Hope there were no big issues.

I rode today again with the Fiancee doing her second CTCT.

Started in 4J with her and we tried getting her over the line in under 5 hours.

At one stage it looked like a 4h30 was on the cards, but with Chappies and Suikerbossie still to come it was always going to be a long shot.

Official racetec result for her says 4h54 and mine 6h12...?

The wind really got pretty bad around Ocean View side for us and coming down Chappies and scariest part was the last 18km coming down Victoria Road. You could feel the bike being shaken all over and just had to hold on tight.

These races always seem to be a completely different world when riding lower down with guys swerving across the road, changing lanes on descents with no indication whatsover, or just stopping in the middle of the road to wait for a buddy to catch up.

we must have ridden close to each other for alot of the route. also started in 4j but managed a 4:37. i don't think that group could have gone much more faster though. I hit a brick wall in terms of pace at a certain stage when the group started getting sparse and scattered...also difficult chasing down/ bridging gaps to roadies on a mtb with no one around. no excuses though...still had a very good  and fun ride.

Same feelings regarding the wind though. i was timing/pacing my ride all the way and was on for about 4:15 ish at that stage and when i summited suikerbossie I had 30min to do that 10km. But the wind was proper k*k on that side when we hit it, felt like i had a parachute open, guess i got complacent about the nice conditions up to then haha.

just glad we missed all the weather that followed. saw it on the youtube live feed when i got home, it looked alot worse than what we had. i rode in that weather last year at the back....it sucks way more.

Edited by morneS555

I really tried hard to get my sub 4, but missed out again at 4h12, and it is not even my PB, which I also missed by 40 seconds. I had a good day, felt decent. I either did not pace myself properly or just did not have the power I thought I would have.

I was riding from 3J.

Edited by Moridin

Saw you on the side of the road probably 30 minutes after it happened. There was a lot of blood.

Heal well. I'm sure someone who actually saw you go down will fill in the blanks.

I crashed near cape point in the & group. Am now in hospital injured.

Can anyone tell me what happened as I have no memory of it at all.

Thanks

I crashed near cape point in the & group. Am now in hospital injured.

Can anyone tell me what happened as I have no memory of it at all.

Thanks

Good grief Nutty, what a first post. Hope you are ok and will mend quickly. Sorry, I can't help reconstruct as I rode much further back.

Happy with my ride today... Started in 4J and felt great. Normal issue of climbing slow but fast on the flats and downs... Ejoyed towing people along but surprised that no one could muster a Thank you. Swirling wind in chappies was ***, but the tailwind up suikerbossie was awesome. Blew up in camps bay and limped for the last few kms to finish in 4:13. Much improved from last years 5 hour something...

Next year will be the sub 4 for sure. Need to drop weight and increase the seeding!

Oh no!! Savage did not have a good day re crashes c9ee03298889eda514cf801f79e8ea70.jpg

Yup, that's the Savage I chatted to just before Chappies. Hope he's ok, looked like his shoulder was giving him grief.

Racetec results are out (now who is doing the number crunching, or do we first wait for the "cleanup" to be done)

Edit: but don't seem to allow me to search per group

Edited by LeoKnight

we must have ridden close to each other for alot of the route. also started in 4j but managed a 4:37. i don't think that group could have gone much more faster though. I hit a brick wall in terms of pace at a certain stage when the group started getting sparse and scattered...also difficult chasing down/ bridging gaps to roadies on a mtb with no one around. no excuses though...still had a very good  and fun ride.

Same feelings regarding the wind though. i was timing/pacing my ride all the way and was on for about 4:15 ish at that stage and when i summited suikerbossie I had 30min to do that 10km. But the wind was proper k*k on that side when we hit it, felt like i had a parachute open, guess i got complacent about the nice conditions up to then haha.

just glad we missed all the weather that followed. saw it on the youtube live feed when i got home, it looked alot worse than what we had. i rode in that weather last year at the back....it sucks way more.

Were you riding in a K2C shirt today?

Then I definitely spotted you two or three times, but was one of those days I didn't go up and make small talk along the way like I normally do.