Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done. Not easily achieved from 2* and lower.

Suspect today was a day for PBs.

Also felt that other than the backmarkers today was going to be a great day for PBs

Awesome day out

Did a 3:33 on knobblies

My first time on knobblies - I decided to go all out and take my old Kona 26er. I think I am somewhere in the 3:40s. This was the most fun Argus I have done. Could keep up with 2A all the way to the bottom of hospital bed and then my 40km/h max pedaling speed put me where I belong.

Anyone know how bad the 2C group crash on the M3 was? I was at the back and had to jump the side walk to get to the slipway around it. It sounded horrendous and looked the part too. 

Apart from that I heard a crash happen behind me as we got to that first turn with the slight climb in Simonstown. There was also a bloke with a bit of blood on the way down from Cape Point national park. By looks of the marks on the tarmac it looked serious. 

Still enjoyed it so much, I loved waving and shouting at the crowds and hearing them roar in response. Just knowing off the bat that I am out of the race made this a lovely funride for me. It was also the first time I had someone ask me, while riding, if I can take some pics of him with his phone. Strange but since I had nowhere else to be I did it. 

Got a really weird medal too - and I did not ride twice - strange.

post-38519-0-27195800-1583666960_thumb.jpg

Start view in 2A

post-38519-0-81817900-1583667000_thumb.jpg

Next year it will be hard to decide between the 29er and 26er. One thing is for sure, I don't regret selling my road bike. 

My first time on knobblies - I decided to go all out and take my old Kona 26er. I think I am somewhere in the 3:40s. This was the most fun Argus I have done. Could keep up with 2A all the way to the bottom of hospital bed and then my 40km/h max pedaling speed put me where I belong.

Anyone know how bad the 2C group crash on the M3 was? I was at the back and had to jump the side walk to get to the slipway around it. It sounded horrendous and looked the part too.

Apart from that I heard a crash happen behind me as we got to that first turn with the slight climb in Simonstown. There was also a bloke with a bit of blood on the way down from Cape Point national park. By looks of the marks on the tarmac it looked serious.

Still enjoyed it so much, I loved waving and shouting at the crowds and hearing them roar in response. Just knowing off the bat that I am out of the race made this a lovely funride for me. It was also the first time I had someone ask me, while riding, if I can take some pics of him with his phone. Strange but since I had nowhere else to be I did it.

Got a really weird medal too - and I did not ride twice - strange.

IMG_20200308_132706.jpg

Start view in 2A

IMG_20200308_063254.jpg

Next year it will be hard to decide between the 29er and 26er. One thing is for sure, I don't regret selling my road bike.

You'll be at least 30 minutes faster on your 29er. The Hub said so...

My Cool down ride to Blouberg was more technical in the wind than the race itself today!

My first Argus - 2h50min(Maybe sub 2h50min on Racetec)

Drama free, but like said above.. 1D caught us in 1C, we then caught 1B, and then 1A and quite a few character guys before Smitswinkel..biggest bunch I've ever seen going stop start up Smits.. took until the top op Suikerbossie to filter to the front through the massive pack.

One of the Pure Savage guys went down hard..apparently bottle dropped and into his spokes.. looked quite bad, hope he is okay!

Congrats on the time, especially on a MTB. I have mad respect for anyone keeping up with the roadies on a MTB.

The crash was quite bad I'd say. I was about 10 bikes behind. Heard a crash, followed by shouting and then stuff flying in the air. I just managed to stop from riding over someone. Think the pack was doing around 40 at the time. Went off to the side to get out the way and looking back there was some really hurt people.

@JohanDiv, the Savage guy was ok albeit a little banged up. My sister saw him pull in a few minutes ahead of me.

The amount of bottles I saw getting dropped was crazy. One almost took out a guy next to me but he had some fine jumping skills and managed to hop it.

Edited by Toady001

Great time Johan. I managed 2h50 odd from @.

Great weather, and the organisers got the spacing between the front groups spot on.

This CTCT was probably the most nervous race I've been in for a while. Lots of riders who think hat once they pass you you disappear.... must be Zwifters! Especially one %$#@ on a gravel bike. I'll reserve his special mention for the starring role in my ride report. Absolute &^%tard. Many many near misses in the front 1/3rd. Got my front wheel taken out again on Chappies but didn't come down this time. Cramped a bit after that thanks to not drinking enough (to scared to take my hands off the brake hoods!!)

Huge crash in the main bunch about 1500m out from the finish.

BTW, "Guy", it was totally uncool of you to toss your empty bottle into the Naval Commodores back yard, totally uncool. Post your address so we can come take a dump on your front lawn. Learn to do it properly by tossing it at a water station.

Wasn't it 1min starts last year too?

Was in 2A the two crashes I saw were both rider error.

Apparently wearing a Bora rainbowbstripe jersey will not give you saganic bike handling skills.

Were you in the Bora WC kit?

My first Argus - 2h50min(Maybe sub 2h50min on Racetec)

One of the Pure Savage guys went down hard..apparently bottle dropped and into his spokes.. looked quite bad, hope he is okay!

Awesome time, good job!

I chatted with the Savage just before Chappies. He was pretty banged up and bleak about missing out his second lap ..hope he gets tested for concussion :-)

Needless to say he still cruised past me on Chappies one handed and bleeding..