Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

Thank you Stef. Good to hear you had a good ride ????

Gives me hope that I can also try this ....

As for the comments of eriders shouting at other riders ... ???????? the rest of us eriders are nice out on the roads and trails ... pity a few are giving us a bad rep ...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on chappies a road-ebike came past us at mach 4....going up

if they sold them there next to the road i would probably have baught one

edit: he was not fat...or old. so guessing he had some sort of debilitating desease :ph34r: 

I saw this oke - no number aswell totally ignorant of the rules

What type of chop cheats using an ebike and then does not enter. Unless his number blew off cause he was flying

Thank you Stef. Good to hear you had a good ride

Gives me hope that I can also try this ....

As for the comments of eriders shouting at other riders ... the rest of us eriders are nice out on the roads and trails ... pity a few are giving us a bad rep ...

I always feel I should apologise (and actually do sometimes) when overtaking - there will always be 2 kinds of e-bike riders - those that want to race and set the shortest time and those who are grateful for a tool that lets us get a share of the fun... :) - ....

Also - I know of at least one e-bike that was unregulated as far as the speed limit was concerned... (not mine :)

So there is some things to think of - If people on e-bikes are going to behave like ***** we will loose the privilege :(

I always feel I should apologise (and actually do sometimes) when overtaking - there will always be 2 kinds of e-bike riders - those that want to race and set the shortest time and those who are grateful for a tool that lets us get a share of the fun... :) - ....

Saw this at MTB event last weekend.

ONE erider racing the top riders ...

The rest of the erider field was having a jol.

Also - I know of at least one e-bike that was unregulated as far as the speed limit was concerned... (not mine :)

So there is some things to think of - If people on e-bikes are going to behave like ***** we will loose the privilege :(

Hopefully this growd gets sorted .... before they mess it up for the rest.

Even using the full 32km/h of my Giant would be dangerous in those large groups passing back markers ... doing this at 50km/h is plain dangerous

Hi Slowbee

I did notice some of my fellow e-bike rider shouting at people to keep left - but most people shouting that were on regular bikes - by far! (Just as dangerous as doing that on an e-bike). Most of the 2x around groups took care - but one big peloton came racing screaming and shouting - and swearing past the slow groups at double the speed the slow pokes were doing - WAY more dangerous - sorry...

Last year we also had a bit of that from the "international groups", where there a few very strong riders wanting to come past.

We had a really good cycle tour I was 5B but dropped to 5D to cycle with my wife

It was her 2nd and my 3rd

Her first one last year was 5.42 and today she done 4.53

I thought ebikes was for the elderly or disabled but I only saw abled body younger people on them ???

I thought ebikes was for the elderly or disabled but I only saw abled body younger people on them ???

That idea is pretty much a hub fantasy used to justify having ebikes in races by hubbers. Not reality.

Seems I was wrong about ebikes causing crashes with slower riders (from this thread it appears regular riders did a great job crashing into each other without assistance from ebikes)

Still not a fan of an event like the CTCT being done on ebikes, but the okes I saw today certainly didn't create problems where I was around.

Same here, the ones who passed us did it in much the same way a normal rider would have done it. the speed difference was not great enough to cause any extra danger.  

Make no mistake, those that just enjoyed the e-ride had a great time along with the rest of us. And I got overtaken lots by a few e bikes.

But as a cutting edge sport, those 10 or so riders just rubbed things in going the clappers, left a bit unsavory taste more than they should by their antics.

As you say, just respect for those around you.

Hi Slowbee

I did notice some of my fellow e-bike rider shouting at people to keep left - but most people shouting that were on regular bikes - by far! (Just as dangerous as doing that on an e-bike). Most of the 2x around groups took care - but one big peloton came racing screaming and shouting - and swearing past the slow groups at double the speed the slow pokes were doing - WAY more dangerous - sorry...

Folk doing their second lap .... dont get me started !!!

Told an $ riders to go shove it today. Told him on his second lap he should be a bit more patient and courteous and forget about a PB for his second. He fancied himself for a bit of a chat, till the rest of the people around me told him to sod off.

But anyway - work calls. I will put up a ride report tomorrow or Tuesday.

would love to hear some feedback of those on ebikes.  Starting at the very end, getting the worst of the weather ...

would be interesting to hear your take on the CTCT.

I started at 8:08 and rode about 5:30 tour (which was a reasonable time for me).

- I got passed by LOTS of e-bikes. Assuming they started at 9:30 they would have ridden about 4 hours.

- Most e-bike riders were courteous but a few were more "assertive".

- Near the end going round Camps Bay, the e-bikes were motoring. I suspect the riders had spare energy left and cranked up the power levels to consume what was left in their batteries.

- There is no obvious speed limiting device on many of the E-bikes. Many were going 35 or 40km/h.

- It is weird when someone passes you up a hill, calmly pedaling with cadence of 40/min while you busing your guts.

- Most e-bikes were dik wheeled MTB's but there was the guy with drop bars cutting through the traffic at an impressive speed.

Clearly even E-bike riders are keen on improving their time. Next year we will see more efficient bikes with bigger batteries and sporting electronics. Ultimately the guy with the biggest battery is going to get the fastest time (potentially faster than the wining pro). If I was writing the rules for the event, I would set a maximum mass for batteries (fitted and spares) and ban getting additional batteries from crew on route. Then set that mass so that riders have to pace their power to achieve a time of say 4 to 5 hours. This will keep e-bikes as an option to those with reason to ride them but not upset pure cyclists competing in their own race.

E-bikes should get different colored cycle boards, different rider numbers, different medals (if any) and e-bike rides should be "counted" separately from pure rides. Start chutes should be policed to keep e-bikes out of the pure cycle chutes. But pure cycles should have the option of dropping back and riding with friends and family on e-bikes.

Good grief Nutty, what a first post. Hope you are ok and will mend quickly. Sorry, I can't help reconstruct as I rode much further back.

Unfair comment: If you can't do Comrades marathon because of whatever reason, you don't just force the organisers to create a new division just so that you can complete it with mechanical motorised assistance.

Start at Parkrun and complete one of those as your first challenge. Move up to each consecutive distance.

Surely there is fun to be had at shorter cycling distances? Is riding around the block no longer cool?

(I know this won't change anything, just needed a place to vent about the absurdity of e-bikes on a 100+ km event)