Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at all the sport cancellations from this week, We were seriously lucky to race the CTCT and to have such good weather as well was a bonus. How different this thread would have been if it was cancelled. How different would the 2021 thread look? 

This thread would have been anarchy! 

And the 2021 thread would be just as negative!

We were very lucky all things considered!

did anyone get their vitality points for the race yet ?

because my HR was not working, they have only given me the default 100 points.

I've manually submitted my result, lets see what happens.

Submit to Vitalityescalations@discovery.co.za . Points will be allocated in 24hrs

Submit to Vitalityescalations@discovery.co.za . Points will be allocated in 24hrs

How many points should I get ?

Mine came through this morning after manually submitting mine on Tuesday

i must surely be the last person to reflect on what was probably the best cycling experience i have ever had. 

the expo was ok although i suspect there could be a lot more done. \Check in was easy and made the excitement all the more. 

As you may or may not remember i was placed in the fancy dress and e bike section with a start time which would have seen me start at about 9.15 and after some "moaning" emails had the changed to 6.50. Was a little worried about finding parking but my master plan to park in the waterfront was in my eyes pure genius, yes i hear you all shout, we all park there, but after all i am a foreigner in my own homeland. 

Start time was 6.50, uncle Dave told me to be in the shute an hour before start time, work backwards and hey presto in the waterfront for 5.30. get bike together, gels and bottles and i thought i would be the only one pedalling in the dark to the start. So wrong. got to first traffic lights and had my first crash. Didn't realise wheel sucking started so early, and to my surprise even though i know the highway code, also didn't realise that the red light did not appear to to be for cyclists. guy who crashed swore at me and told me off for stopping, LOL OMG WTF - the red mist descends and the PPA guy i was talking to as we slowed, nealy clapped the guy for swearing in front of his wife who i didnt realise was sat in the back of the tandem.

Safely negotiate the rest of the journey talking to some great guys. By the way, this is my first CTCT and i didnt realise it indicates on your number. imaging how chuffed i was when people seemed to know this was my first and seemed to say good luck. Remembering what Uncle Dave had said, i made my way to the gate and went in and out a number of times as i wasnt sure why no one else was in the pen, but finally i was right in the front.

i did chicken out and starting a few rows back from the front. the Atmosphere was incredible. I even sung the national anthem and watched the fireworks. The hoopla was done with gusto and off we went. 

Nelson Mandela blvd made me think my only Zwift training (due to bad weather in the UK) meant my legs were not working or suffering from Jet lag, but i soon realised that when they did wake up they were good to go. Waved at spectators and then moved to the right to go down hospital bend. i rightly enjoyed going down hill and was fortunate to be in a group who could ride and new the meaning of not weaving all over the road. the rest of the ride to Edinburgh drive was good.

Edinburgh drive is where the gees took a new level of great. It made me feel great to have people shouting and cheering. I arrived quicker and my speed i wanted to achieve was well on target, although my heart rate seemed rather high, but i needed have worried as the Blue route would allow me to sit in and simply tag along. 

Fight number two, when some dim wit thought he was in the tour de france and quite simply kept shouting hold you line. A young lady whom i was following happened to swirf to avoid a cats eye and really could have brought a lot of people down with her, was clearly nervous and to be honest, she was a little out of her depth, but was keeping up so one of the other riders took it upon himself to squirt water at the moaning oke. 

Fight number two, when a guy snotted in the middle of the group spraying all to the left of him which caused one hell of a moan. 

we soon progressed through muizenberg onto simonstown and then onto the first climb of the day SMitswinkel. What scenery, what beauty, and what a great climb. Enojyed myself and also found that the old Zwift trained legs were now in full swing and i even afforded my self the luxury of pushing on a bit. DOwn the tree lined road when all of a sudden the need to use the toilet was greater than the need to sit on the back wheel of the tandem which had both sucked uphill and been sucked downhill. WIshed them a fond farewell along with a large group and stopped. not a problem i thought as i woudl soon catch another group and all would be well. 

MIsty cliffs was lonely, up the climb to where i thought the Mad Captonian had mustered his army and then around the corner at Noordhoek and to the base of CHappies. Another siting of Mrs and now feeling smug i started to climb little chappies. Passing a lot of people the old Zwift legs were still on top of the world and the little downhill before the climb of Chappies proper. The views are stunning and the riding environment even better. The talk of wind and rain and brimstone, not materialising as this was quite simply the best weather ever. The descend into hout bay went with out incident and now i was ready for suikerbossie. The zwift legs still feeling good. 

Did a tour de france, and pulled my zip of my jersey down a little, to expose my mid life gut, which was not very good as i couldnt pull it up for the photos on sugarbush. The climb was going well and when i decided to stand up and climb, the zwift legs went pap and into spasm so i suddenly sat back down and nurtured the legs up and over and to my absolute delight, found the original tandem and wheel sucked all the way down to the finish (repayed with a beer or two)

Got across the line in 3.29 but had my official timing in at 3.30/. This being the variant of when the time actually starts but as times go, i wanted a 4 - 4.30 so really chuffed. 

Couple of questions or topics for conversation:

1. Why do cyclists in South Africa have to be 5mm from the guy in front? 

2. If i leave a 60cm gap and am sitting comfortably why does the next cyclist need to fill that gap?

3. WTF is hold your line and why is it shouted all the time by funnily enough the guys who fill in the gap? 

4. Are red lights really not for cyclists? 

5. Whats the point of having a number on your helmet, when apparently you only have 6 photos. 

6. WTF is snotting all about? (the need to put your finger to your nose and pushing large amounts of snot over everyone?)

it was genuinley a great experience. one that i am hoping to experience again and truly hope none of the SA guys take this gorgeous race for granted. The scenery was incredible and i really enjoyed being able to look over when the old zwift legs wanted a break.

finally to the people of cape town, thank you for putting up with all the lycra clad army and for allowing us to be able to take part. if it wasnt for your generosity, the race would not be as good as it was

I made a box and whisker plot (with outliers) of the results by start group:

attachicon.gifctct2020bw.JPG

Pretty amazing how good they get the seeding for most of the riders. 

6F was the ebikes.

What happened in 3k to 4C?

also had to manually submit. i checked last week Wednesday and for some reason it's not listed as one of the points events this year. honestly cant remember if it used to be.

Got my 1500 points 3 days later....got me a play on the board game and bagged the 350 miles for the first time ever haha. lucky pick.

I made a box and whisker plot (with outliers) of the results by start group:

attachicon.gifctct2020bw.JPG

Pretty amazing how good they get the seeding for most of the riders. 

6F was the ebikes.

post-1830-0-12440900-1584453299_thumb.jpg

awesome! added a thin red line

so how does an oke in his 50s TT to a 2:55 from 4F?

ok well it helps if he's got 400 000km of pro riding in his legs,

post-1830-0-28615800-1584453733_thumb.png

and a mate who didn't enter to tow him along so it's not really a solo effort all the way.....

WHO is that? 

so how does an oke in his 50s TT to a 2:55 from 4F?

ok well it helps if he's got 400 000km of pro riding in his legs,

attachicon.gifandreaF.png

and a mate who didn't enter to tow him along so it's not really a solo effort all the way.....