Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

I have to build the weekend into my budget. Years ago before kids I would go down for a whole week with my wife and no budgeting was required at all, there was plenty spare zar. Now it's just me and I stay with my folks for 1 night and I need to save up for my 50% Mango flight. 

I do that too...I start looking for cheaper flights months ahead, hit AirBnB early to get cheap deals and make use of bike transport early bird specials. Spreading out the costs over months make it way more manageable.  

Out of curiosity I dug into my old doccies the other day and believe it or not, "overheads" for this year's CTCT trip actually amounts to less than my first in 2011! Probably because of more flight options (and competition!) and more access to cheap accommodation (e.g AirBnB). 

4 Weeks...I can't wait!   

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Accommodation available in Green Point. Room With A View. From Wed 4th to Tues 10th March 2020. Can't use due to recent bike accident resulting in a broken leg. Would just like to recover my costs. R5695.00. Please contact me on 0832615094. Cheers, Bob

post-41250-0-49028200-1581410577_thumb.jpg

post-41250-0-85317400-1581410591_thumb.jpg

post-41250-0-31140200-1581410615_thumb.jpg

post-41250-0-36622400-1581410664_thumb.jpg

I do that too...I start looking for cheaper flights months ahead, hit AirBnB early to get cheap deals and make use of bike transport early bird specials. Spreading out the costs over months make it way more manageable.  

Out of curiosity I dug into my old doccies the other day and believe it or not, "overheads" for this year's CTCT trip actually amounts to less than my first in 2011! Probably because of more flight options (and competition!) and more access to cheap accommodation (e.g AirBnB). 

4 Weeks...I can't wait!   

Less than 4!!!!!

This will only be my fourth one and it feels like a comma between the Tour of Good Hope and Eroica Nova the week after.

I'm also feeling quite hardcore having captured 216th spot on the Canterbury road to Kirstenbosch gate dogleg segment last night.

Still 19 seconds behind MDJ though... 

Edited by Mamil

Will be my 16th Argus / CTCT in a row (would have been 17 if not for the cancelled one (and I do count the shortened one as a completed race))

If I did not stay in CT, this would not have been possible for me to go for my goal of 21 consecutive races. 

As a matter of fact, I got the gut wrenching news this morning that the company I work for will be loosing the current contract I'm managing, due to the Client re-positioning itself as result of the economy. I am not sure if I'll be lucky enough to find myself employed in two months time, as there are no assurances,.

That Sucks Wannabe.

We made the decision to do the race together, as this will probably never be on the cards again due to costs.

This trip would not have been possible without having friends in CT, who kindly offered us a place to stay. Which brings on another problem:

All my panic training will probably be mitigated by the elation of being in CT, and seeing my mates for the first time in 12 months, and the subsequent consumption....

snip

...and seeing my mates for the first time in 12 months, and the subsequent consumption....

dunno, sounds like the perfect 48 hour training plan to me....

also, beer and pizza is perfect for carb loading :D

it'll be fine, you'll see. if you can ride 50km (even more so if you can doit on a mtb) without dying...i promise you'll have a jol.

Will be my 16th Argus / CTCT in a row (would have been 17 if not for the cancelled one (and I do count the shortened one as a completed race))

If I did not stay in CT, this would not have been possible for me to go for my goal of 21 consecutive races. 

As a matter of fact, I got the gut wrenching news this morning that the company I work for will be loosing the current contract I'm managing, due to the Client re-positioning itself as result of the economy. I am not sure if I'll be lucky enough to find myself employed in two months time, as there are no assurances,.

Hoping for the best for you!

Sterkte dude, hopefully you'll find something fairly quickly!

I think this is my 10th or 11th tour. I missed a few when I was in exile a few years ago. 

This one's going to be interesting though, for my IM program I need to cover between 150km to 160km and then a 22km run...  :eek:

I remember the days when my toppie was doing IM. He would haul my boet and I over the 105km route and then go for a run. He often used to do the local races and then run home.

I remember the days when my toppie was doing IM. He would haul my boet and I over the 105km route and then go for a run. He often used to do the local races and then run home.

LMAO if I try hauling my daughters around the course and then go for a run it would be seen as child abuse... 

So peeps if you see a "cyclist" passed out on the road but you're not sure cause there's no bike or helmet but running shoes then please PAUSE my session on my watch? 

Thanks in advance.....

Oh no Wannabe! Can only hope it works out for you guys. Can imagine the stress with that hanging over your head.

dunno, sounds like the perfect 48 hour training plan to me....

also, beer and pizza is perfect for carb loading :D

it'll be fine, you'll see. if you can ride 50km (even more so if you can doit on a mtb) without dying...i promise you'll have a jol.

More worried about being breathalised on the way to the race, and of course the wrath of the missus about "my state"

Oh no Wannabe! Can only hope it works out for you guys. Can imagine the stress with that hanging over your head.

Thanks Skubs.

It's already beginning to show, why do you think I'm having a colonoscopy done the week after the CTCT? 

edit: The process has been going on for a good few months now, we only got the confirmation this morning.

Nothing sinister from the Client, just reducing the risk to themselves, as well as admin and associated cost. 

Edited by Wannabe

Thanks Skubs.

It's already beginning to show, why do you think I'm having a colonoscopy done the week after the CTCT? 

edit: The process has been going on for a good few months now, we only got the confirmation this morning.

Nothing sinister from the Client, just reducing the risk to themselves, as well as admin and associated cost. 

In my line of work I get to speak to people from all industries, its scary out there. Just about everyone I speak to tell me how the company is having to down size.