Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

From 1B to 2A - should actually be further down considering my performance the past year. I think I got that seeding from K2C. 

seems a bit random - I moved from 1f to 2A and they used my 2018 K2C

doesn't worry me as my plan is to drop even further back and enjoy the ride - I want to stop for coffee and a beer this year.  I'm not capable of a sub 3 so killing myself for a 330 is pointless.

I say this then the gun goes off and I'm sprinting for 3337th place

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would make sense for them to keep it open until 10. Anybody doing the second lap will catch the back of the field by Edinburgh Drive so it wont make a difference to the road closures etc.

I did double laps in 2016 and 2018 - so two laps two times. That itch has been scratched.

My focus on road cycling has declined and last year I rode my road bike twice. Looking forward to riding a more relaxed CTCT on knobby wheels this year. 

From 1B to 2A - should actually be further down considering my performance the past year. I think I got that seeding from K2C. 

So I will see you in 2A!

doesn't worry me as my plan is to drop even further back and enjoy the ride - I want to stop for coffee and a beer this year.  I'm not capable of a sub 3 so killing myself for a 330 is pointless.

If you decide to stay in the group, keen to meet you.

So it has been a few years since I have ridden in a group with majority singles. I have been looking at a few times and names from 2A last year and they still very decent riders.

I am not interested in chasing a time this year but my goal will be the same as last year, to get myself and my Toppie over the line safely to complete tours number 29 and 31.

My question is, what is the racing like? I am used to Vets and Racing tandems where at times we can be bleeding through the eyeballs and 10 seconds later it's completely gas off awaiting the next attack.

Do groups like 2A ride a nice hard consistent pace or do the guys attack and play games?

Just a heads up to 2A, watch out for the bright orange tandem and if you help us up the hills properly, you will be PROPERLY rewarded on the fast sections. Help us up Edinburgh drive and down onto the blue route all the way to the turn off you can slip wheel at high speed. Help us up smits and you will get a lekker tow over the climb. You get the idea.

With the last group starting at 9:30 I'm thinking alot less numbers and also fewer groups. Not only due to that reason but also due to the reason that I genuinely thought I had entered the CTCT, I know I filled in all Info and saved to my basket before payment a couple months back. FFWD to Friday and no seeding email all day, So I decided to check racetec and I never saw "entered" by CTCT 2020. So I log onto the website, click on "enter here" and it's still open (very surprised) put in my details and takes me straight to the basket payment page, I obviously had forgotten to pay, I made payment and got email confirming my entry. Not sure when my seeding will get sent but not too worried about that as I'm far from fit enough to want to race, Just very surprised I was still able to enter. Anyway, point is, if I could still "enter" on Friday after seedings have already been mailed, I feel the CTCT is losing it's attraction and perhaps a reverse route or something needs to happen some time soon..

Edited by FootballingCyclist

In 2012 my sister finished her first and last Argus on a 26er Silverback Reno Femme with an old school 3x7 drivetrain.

So I am very tempted to do this on my Kona 26er but on the other hand I know it will be easier on my 29er...

I'll leave that decision for a slightly intoxicated Rouxenator on the evening of Saturday 7 March. 

It seems used my 2018 CTCT and I have only ended up in 2C, two groups up from 2018 CTCT due to a penalty of 18.

But I am also going to drop back a bit.

Earlier in this thread I asked "for a friend" how someone who had never done a race could get a seeding better than ZZ.  She followed the advice given, and got a line entry into the Fast One, albeit from the very last group but managed to TT herself around the course in a time good enough to give her a 3E seeding. 

I am thinking of dropping back 30 mins and riding with her, but would never live it down if she drops me up Edinburgh drive..

Edited by eddy

Anyone know how the corporate entries work - I got one through my employer and they are saying we will all start together. I have my own seeding (~3G) so hoping the corporate groups don't start later than that.

So it has been a few years since I have ridden in a group with majority singles. I have been looking at a few times and names from 2A last year and they still very decent riders.

I am not interested in chasing a time this year but my goal will be the same as last year, to get myself and my Toppie over the line safely to complete tours number 29 and 31.

My question is, what is the racing like? I am used to Vets and Racing tandems where at times we can be bleeding through the eyeballs and 10 seconds later it's completely gas off awaiting the next attack.

Do groups like 2A ride a nice hard consistent pace or do the guys attack and play games?

Just a heads up to 2A, watch out for the bright orange tandem and if you help us up the hills properly, you will be PROPERLY rewarded on the fast sections. Help us up Edinburgh drive and down onto the blue route all the way to the turn off you can slip wheel at high speed. Help us up smits and you will get a lekker tow over the climb. You get the idea.

I'm well qualified to answer this as I am pefecetly seeded this year in this group of wannabee racers

2A is full of guys who think they are poorly seeded and should be in Sub 3 batches.  Sadly we are cr@p so we aren't going to do the magic time - it's chaos, it's scary and most guys are not nearly as good or as skilled as we think we are

I rode there last year as I felt dropping out of 1e or F would make it a bit safer

I was wrong, it was frightening.  I spent so much time pulling at the front and then getting spat out because so few were willing to help.  

If I start there this year I will be on a yet to be decided Colnago riding on the right of the road sliding back batches and staying safe.  I plan to ride an hour slower, beats dying and I want to make it to my first Eroica

I am soooooo jealous of those fortunate to take part. I have not been able to go down for two years in a row now. At about R10k for a couple of days it's an expensive outing. But I'll most probably be going down next year. My bucket list is to complete 21 rides (completed 12 already), but I started cycling fairly late in life, when I turned 40 and realised I was becomming a couch potato. Time unfortunately isn't my friends, I'm turning 57 next week. I still have 9 rides to do before achieving my goal, but that probably will take me at least 15 years to achieve. 

Anyways, good luck to all taking part, for those going for a PB, go for it! For those (like me that ride for the views, socializing, just a nice day out cycling), I also hope you all have fun and that the weather gods plays along nicely.

fri => monday (3nights)

race entry ~R500

flight ~R2000

ubers R500

airbnb ~R2000

that's R5k

With the last group starting at 9:30 I'm thinking alot less numbers and also fewer groups. Not only due to that reason but also due to the reason that I genuinely thought I had entered the CTCT, I know I filled in all Info and saved to my basket before payment a couple months back. FFWD to Friday and no seeding email all day, So I decided to check racetec and I never saw "entered" by CTCT 2020. So I log onto the website, click on "enter here" and it's still open (very surprised) put in my details and takes me straight to the basket payment page, I obviously had forgotten to pay, I made payment and got email confirming my entry. Not sure when my seeding will get sent but not too worried about that as I'm far from fit enough to want to race, Just very surprised I was still able to enter. Anyway, point is, if I could still "enter" on Friday after seedings have already been mailed, I feel the CTCT is losing it's attraction and perhaps a reverse route or something needs to happen some time soon..

i think it's a hangover from the 2 recently curtailed races, the wind last year but most importantly a k$k economy. joburg travellers to Ct this december ewas way down as well i'm told.

don't need to change a thing, people just need to arrive,

I'm also 2A. seems like we have the hub crowd, all okes from 1xxx welcome to drop back and join!

fri => monday (3nights)

race entry ~R500

flight ~R2000

ubers R500

airbnb ~R2000

that's R5k

Kudos to you sir! I would not pay anymore than the ~R650 I am paying now. (entry, parking, petrol). 

I'm also 2A. seems like we have the hub crowd, all okes from 1xxx welcome to drop back and join!

I should be in the 1s somewhere but after breaking a collarbone during winter league and only riding on weekends now as apposed to the 6 times a week I used to ride, I'm more than happy to start in 2A if we have a lekker bunch of okes...

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Kudos to you sir! I would not pay anymore than the ~R650 I am paying now. (entry, parking, petrol). 

Dont know what he is going to eat or do for 3 days though ?

And what he has shown there is doing it on the cheap cheap, its very easy to add a couple more thousand to that.

Now you know what us jo'burger cough up to join the race.