Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

Seeded in 1B for my first CTCT... Highest seeding for a race ever.  :clap: 

Any CTCT vets got some advice for a first timer? 

How were the conditions last year? I see the 1B winning time was around 3:11. Is that a "normal" time?

I did a 2:47 on the 947 last year, what do you guys think is a similar time for the CTCT?

Last year conditions were very bad, 2 years ago you could have done a 2h50 from 1B - on an "average" year a sub-3 is very doable from 1B

My advice, first 20km just focus on staying safe as things can get quite hairy with all the testosterone around, position doesn't really matter as it's actually very hard to get dropped if you are on par with the rest of the group. Be wide awake and try to move to the front half of the group as you approach the Smitswinkel climb, between the climb and the ridiculous fast downhill afterwards this is the first place the group can scatter. If you are still in the bunch by the time things slow down slightly around Misty Cliffs then you should be in the mix for the rest of the race.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There’s no normal time

Work on your 4-5 min peak power

Don’t wear a Camelbak

Yip I get that there's no normal time in bunch riding. I was more wondering how the conditions were last year and how they effected the times. 

Great. Been focusing on 5 minute intervals  :thumbup:

Okay, so no camelback, but can I bring my full face helmet and baggies?  ;)

Last year conditions were very bad, 2 years ago you could have done a 2h50 from 1B - on an "average" year a sub-3 is very doable from 1B

My advice, first 20km just focus on staying safe as things can get quite hairy with all the testosterone around, position doesn't really matter as it's actually very hard to get dropped if you are on par with the rest of the group. Be wide awake and try to move to the front half of the group as you approach the Smitswinkel climb, between the climb and the ridiculous fast downhill afterwards this is the first place the group can scatter. If you are still in the bunch by the time things slow down slightly around Misty Cliffs then you should be in the mix for the rest of the race.

Thanks. I'll definitely follow your advice, and definitely try to stay towards the front. Sounds like a typical amateur race with guys going full gas for the first 20km, and then blowing up on the first climb. :D 

Does it not become a free for all with the 1 min start time intervals? Like is it possible to ride in a proper bunch? Or is there too much chaos with the road being littered with dropped riders from all of the previous bunches?

Yip I get that there's no normal time in bunch riding. I was more wondering how the conditions were last year and how they effected the times.

Great. Been focusing on 5 minute intervals :thumbup:

Okay, so no camelback, but can I bring my full face helmet and baggies? ;)

Thanks. I'll definitely follow your advice, and definitely try to stay towards the front. Sounds like a typical amateur race with guys going full gas for the first 20km, and then blowing up on the first climb. :D

Does it not become a free for all with the 1 min start time intervals? Like is it possible to ride in a proper bunch? Or is there too much chaos with the road being littered with dropped riders from all of the previous bunches?

Up until Smits bunches tend to stay together and you will find bunches merging because of the short intervals between starting times. A few peeps get dropped on Edinburgh but they have a fighting chance to catch their group again on the M3. Wouldn't say its a free for all but the massive combined bunches can be scary.

Edit - If you want to start near the front be at the start VERY early. At least an hour? Not sure I never bother.. My race start at Smits. More than enough time to move up before then.

Edited by Skubarra

I am soooooo jealous of those fortunate to take part. I have not been able to go down for two years in a row now. At about R10k for a couple of days it's an expensive outing. But I'll most probably be going down next year. My bucket list is to complete 21 rides (completed 12 already), but I started cycling fairly late in life, when I turned 40 and realised I was becomming a couch potato. Time unfortunately isn't my friends, I'm turning 57 next week. I still have 9 rides to do before achieving my goal, but that probably will take me at least 15 years to achieve. 

Anyways, good luck to all taking part, for those going for a PB, go for it! For those (like me that ride for the views, socializing, just a nice day out cycling), I also hope you all have fun and that the weather gods plays along nicely.

I had the intention of doing 2 laps this year. One as a race and the second as a joll with some sort of charity drive attached to it.

It seems though if you don't start in the first 5 groups or so then this is out of the question. The silly thing is that the main reason that this is ruled out is that the last start group isn't 10h00 like it used to be but 09h30 instead.

I'm 1E and say we ride a 3h15 then I'll finish at 9h47. Add on 5 mins to get back to the start and it's already 9h52. (My auditor has verified these numbers)

So I guess the efficiency of the new start area does come back to bite us in the end!

The final departure at 9:30 has more or less killed the double lap for all except the $/@/& groups, unless they allow us to start a little after the last group.

Starting in 1A at 6:33.  Even if I ride a 2:55 I won't make the second lap.

Not subtracting at all from the really useful tips given by Skubarra and others serious riders, my advice would be somewhat different - and aimed more towards a pleasant CTCT experience than chasing a target time. Literally just 2 things:

- Stay Safe

I remember my first CTCT; I had the route and my race "strategy" all planned out and with my target time clearly set, it was hoopla. My ride plan lasted about 15minutes after witnessing 2 serious crashes in the first 10km which totally scattered the bunches - and hitting an "only-at-the-ARGUS" headwind down the M3. With this event, route and environment there are just too many variables on the day which WILL have an influence on your race strategy...and unfortunately these variables almost always directly come down (excuse the pun) the one crucial aspect in any race: safety. Add to that tens of thousands of rides of varying riding skills and things can really get a bit hairy. Remain safe!

- Enjoy

This truly is one of the prettiest rides in the world. The atmosphere is like nothing you've seen before and there simply is no other feeling like riding past Misty Cliffs with the ocean a stone's throw to your left and the salty sea mist in your face. Don't spoil it for yourself by blindly chasing a time or coughing blood to chase bunches or hold on to the groot menere (unless achieving your target time will pay for the kid's school fees next month). 

This year will be my 7th and the magic of the event just never goes away. Personally, I reserve my eternal search for the PB's for other events...    

The final departure at 9:30 has more or less killed the double lap for all except the $/@/& groups, unless they allow us to start a little after the last group.

last year lots of 2nd lappers only left after 10 , so don't think they so strict

going be interesting to see what index requirement is going to be ,they desperate for more entries, might even make it higher...

2H, I'll take that.... 

last seeding race was Last years "Argus"

However this does take a back seat cause it's going to form part of my training for the day.  :blush:

It would make sense for them to keep it open until 10. Anybody doing the second lap will catch the back of the field by Edinburgh Drive so it wont make a difference to the road closures etc.