2019 Amashova

Wannabe

This is so refreshing to see someone else with my point of view.

Thank you dude, you restored my faith in humanity. No kidding.

I was beginning to doubt our cycling community, but you alone have done miracles.

Thank you

Not sure how I did any of that, but you’re welcome.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How the hell does an ultra distance race compare with our Amashova or 94.7?

The local race-snakes need to prepare better.

Finish & klaar.

Don't be a ****, be nice

The fundamental principles are no different.

Trying playing the ball and not the man. It's core to civilised debate.

I think you would find that the literature do support the notion of drinking to thirst...

The old approach of drinking set volumes per time interval has been problematic, at best.

Hm... not that I've seen so far. Have you got any links to recent studies thst you're able to point to? I'd certainly be interested to read them. TIA!

I didn't ride the Amashova this year, but had the displeasure of racing in extreme heats/winds. The exact same discussion:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/155233-protea-cycle-classic-meyerton-complaint/?hl=protea

The solution is simple, there should be a CSA guideline to base the amount of water that needs to be available at sanctioned events, which would be the organizer's responsibility.

The parameters that are needed:

• Temp Max = Expected peak temperature based on a 3-day forecast.
  • Time (h)= Average completion time of previous year, or similar event.
  • N = Expected entries (capacity)
Basis:
  • 400 ml per hour per person. (
  • Temp Avg = Average temperature: 25 degrees Celcius
Water needed per person: 400 ml x Time x (Temp Max/Temp Avg)

For Amashova:

Water needed: 400 x 4.5 hours x (36/25) = 2,6 litres per person.

A formula would have been used on the day, definitely. I would add.

Carrying two bottles or camel pack on the bike will also usually take you past the first one or two tables. Thinking recreational rider here.

So the tables in the last 60% of a long distance ride, on a hot day, will have to provide for much more.

Water will be used for filling all bottles, splashing faces etc.

Especially on hot days.

Had a blast this year. Had fun at the front end of BL up Fox and along Dards. 5 to 6 riders working well together, carried a big group to almost the end of Dards.

Carried two bottles, about 1.2 l which ran out with 29km to go... luckily I had some friends around to share some.

The event was well organized from my perspective and also judging by all the many race stories at the end.

It really is a great route and finish venue! Back next year for sure.

So my take away from the comments on here is that unless one has prepared for a year in advance and is able to ride 100km in 50 degree heat without drinking a drop or eating a bite in under 3 hours, that you shouldn't dare enter a ride that might challenge you.

That is pretty much the general vibe being given off. 

So my take away from the comments on here is that unless one has prepared for a year in advance and is able to ride 100km in 50 degree heat without drinking a drop or eating a bite in under 3 hours, that you shouldn't dare enter a ride that might challenge you.

Its definitely not the general vibe here... bottom line is you need to train and prepare yourself for all conditions. Yes we know many are just weekend warriors who want to challenge themselves, but seriously you cannot do training rides of 30-50km max and then suddenly expect to ride 100km+ with no issues at all.

Not what I was saying at all, and not the 'general vibe' I got from the comments on here either. 

I can only speak for myself and basically this is what I'm saying:

1. Train for the distance you are planning to do, in the time you are planning to do it
  2. Understand how much nutrition you will need and bring it plus some extra, just in case 

In my personal example I know over a training ride of 100km I can get by with 1x bottle of drink + 2 bars of food at a pace of at or below 30km/h. That is on a cool day however, and is not the same amount I needed compared to 6 months ago because then I needed more. 

I started Amashova with 2x bottles of drink, 4x bars of food and 3x gels - because it is a race and I will be pushing more - and just in case. I had half a bottle of drink, 1 bar of food and 1 gel left over. 

I wouldn't know what I need in terms of nutrition, plus many other parts to the sport of cycling, without training. I don't think training should be viewed in a negative light at all. Being prepared is for your own well-being and allows you to enjoy what you're doing that much more.

Its definitely not the general vibe here... bottom line is you need to train and prepare yourself for all conditions. Yes we know many are just weekend warriors who want to challenge themselves, but seriously you cannot do training rides of 30-50km max and then suddenly expect to ride 100km+ with no issues at all.

Hi everyone. I think these two comments describe, in general, the two most prevalent opinions being given on this thread. I agree with both because both have equal merit. However, to me it depends what the Amashova is about and what it wants to be about, i.e. what type of road ride do the organisers want it to be? Is it a mass participation "fun ride" where cyclists of varying ability can go and test themselves at various distances including 106 km? Can they do this SAFELY, even if they "bite off more than they can chew"? One thing I know about the 106 km Amashova route having done it before and knowing it quite well is that it is more challenging than people think. Thus, maybe this should be advertised to try and make sure that people understand this and choose their race day distances properly based on their training and ability. In addition, the race organisers should always ensure that they at least have enough water for everyone who pays to participate. However, as cyclists, we should also know our bodies and make a plan to get extra water if the race organisers run out, especially when it is as hot as Sunday was. Ciao.

That the same logic you would use if you wanted to climb Kilimanjaro? or would you train and prepare for it?

A 100km ride is just that for many, as hard as an expedition up Kili..... even harder if you do not put the training in and is unachievable.

So what you should be taking from this thread is that a 100km ride is not a jaunt around the park or suburb and as such you need to put time and effort in with training rather than push yourself beyond your limits.... which you admitted you did and gave up Harrison Flats.

And has also been highlighted, your rant on the 21 October is factually incorrect with regard to the water points as there were plenty and frequently and sufficient.  Running out of water is another matter and that need to be addressed by the organisers.

If you can't make 2 bottles last 25km, then take some friendly advise.  Lick you pride, refocus, get fitter, put the training in and come back next year prepared and will probably have a great Shova

Lucky the Hub was around then or I would have been slaughtered if I posted my experience. My first 100km ride was the CTCT (Argus in those days), trained 3 days during week with 10K each ride and bit longer on Sat of between 30-50km, one race leading up to the event of 60km, weighing 118kg on a Makro Raleigh so add another 15kg at least.  It was the first time the Argus included Ou Kaapse weg which I found more challenging than the current route. Took me 6:45 which included 2 punctures and stopping to fix my brakes which came loose and were clamping on my wheel. 

If i listened to the general vibe of this thread 20 years ago when I did my first 947 I'd never have entered and probably would still not be entering "races".

The longest training ride I did leading up to the event was a 15km ride. I rode in normal shorts and T shirt. Granted I was 20 years younger than today so my body could suffer more.

I DID learn that day that I should never enter an event of that distance without better training, but had I read a thread like this before entering I would have been discouraged from entering any races.

I have always been a weekend warrior with limited time on the weekends to train, so doing 100km training rides has never been an option.

Heck only recently (past 2 years) have I been doing 50km regularly with the occasional push to 60 and 80km

Edited by ouzo

There is a set minimum requirement for water tables etc.. as per SASRIA/CSA

There is also a reasonable expectation for people to take at least some responsibility for themselves.

Entering an event, any event doesn't negate responsibility on either side.

Can you guide me to the minimum requirements? Because I have never seen that in published documents.

I agree the responsibility lies with both parties, but this is to safeguard people in 'extreme' conditions without necessarily have to stop the event.

There are usually two perspectives in road and MTB races, Ride to race or improve times, and ride to have fun or social ride. Both are enjoyable.

The 94.7 double loop is a classic example where you can do both, race then socialize. Which I have done and enjoyed, both laps. The Imana Wild Ride is a big social ride for me.

Outside of races we train and ride for coffee stops :-)

I Think the vibe is a mix of the two perspectives, which is fine.

Hi everyone. I think these two comments describe, in general, the two most prevalent opinions being given on this thread. I agree with both because both have equal merit. However, to me it depends what the Amashova is about and what it wants to be about, i.e. what type of road ride do the organisers want it to be? Is it a mass participation "fun ride" where cyclists of varying ability can go and test themselves at various distances including 106 km? Can they do this SAFELY, even if they "bite off more than they can chew"? One thing I know about the 106 km Amashova route having done it before and knowing it quite well is that it is more challenging than people think. Thus, maybe this should be advertised to try and make sure that people understand this and choose their race day distances properly based on their training and ability. In addition, the race organisers should always ensure that they at least have enough water for everyone who pays to participate. However, as cyclists, we should also know our bodies and make a plan to get extra water if the race organisers run out, especially when it is as hot as Sunday was. Ciao.

Simply this:

It was pitched as a mass participation ride, not a ride for only the elite. The organisers knew that the average rider would need hydration along the way - as evidenced by the multiple water points along the way. That was how they planned and "sold" the ride. They also knew it was going to be a very hot day - I knew that more than a week in advance. The point is that the organizers own planning failed. They failed to deliver to riders what they promised - and bearing in mind that many of the less capable riders would have planned with reliance on the fact  that there would be water points at the various intervals. Whichever way you look at it, the organizers screwed up. Whether or not the average Joe should be able to do the distance on two bottles of water is completely irrelevant in context. 

But outside of that, on the whole it was a great event!

Edited by MudLark

I was hoping to see how people done, what happened in their ride, not how many bars they eat and bottles they drink.

How was your race guys

On Sunday 13/10/2019 I decided to do a recovery ride after Satellite, as I was riding, I was sweating a lot and felt uneasy. I thought it was just fatigue from racing the previous day. Got home after 1h30, took a shower and I was flat in bed. Fatigue, overheating, blocked nose, post nasal just got worse and worse as the week progressed. Went to see the Dr on Thursday and he said allergic Rhinitis...antibiotics for 5 days, no exercise.

All plans for Durban were ready between me and my friend and I couldn't pull out. I decided not take the antibiotics until after the race. On race day I was sweating profusely even before we could start. I told myself I will observe my heartrate and listen to my body and if its bad I will pull out. Decided to drop from AL to BL. Fox Hill people started to hammer and I decided to ride on my FTP. Around 70 km my 2 bottles were empty, first time in 3 years I finish 2 bottled within 2 hours, normally they last for 3+ hours. Kept riding until Volvo WP, I then slowed down to almost standing still and took a 300ml bottle from the WP table then proceeded. Around 90 km I felt that a sub-3 was achievable. I was in a mix group with some AL, BL and CLs..the guys in front were really pushing hard on the highway Just as we entered the City I checked my Garmin it was as if time was accelerating coz I was now on 2:57 with about 3km to go. I thought if I can go to the front and push harder I can make Sub-3, needless to say it didn't work out...got to the finish in 3:02. Will try again for a sub-3 next year.