Rugby World Cup 2019

Eddy Gordo

Fully agree with you. Regarding Fafs kicking it was pretty clear he kicked under instruction. His kicking changed radically in the second half from the first which indicated to me that he was instructed. The German commentators regularly here mentioned how he manages to tackle guys much bigger than him. Goodness sake, my 12 yr old daughter is taller than him.

He's like a jack Russell. A nuisance for anyone around the mall and the scrum

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still believe his execution more often yesterday was very poor. Will be interested to analyse those 17+ box kicks from him and what resulted in terms of territory after giving possession away. 

I think we should not look at territory alone when analyzing the box kicks.

I think a box kick that is 1)  at least the required 10 m BUT not so far that the opposition can control without pressure from the defense; and 2)  tight against the touchline but not directly into touch,  is good enough for the purposes. 

Ideally, we can contest the ball in the air and play it back towards our advancing big men, but if the ball has gone 10 and is tight against the touchline, the opponent can ONLY play forward or infield where he will a) get nailed backwards by the advancing players or; b) pass towards to a player who is likely to be in a worse position to receive it as the rush defense closes him down.

It is traditionally said that defense takes more out of you than attack, but I think our strategy against Japan sapped their strength, and not ours.  We just kept hitting them at pace, and did so not only effectively but also very efficiently.

And the proof is in the pudding, they scored once against us -  a penalty - and never got close again.

People say they "could" have scored more "if they took their chances". Not so, we shut down every one of their attacks. We, on the other hand should have scored at least three more tries if WE had not cocked it up. Nothing they could have done would have stopped us had we not dropped the pass with an overlap or passed forward  with an open line. 

So our attacking skills let us down a bit (we need to be better) but our attacking defense won us the game. The box kicks were a key part of that.

Edited by eddy

He's like a jack Russell. A nuisance for anyone around the mall and the scrum

I read on an Aussie site that in a position where being an irritating nuisance is a virtue, Faf is a prince amongst men. That even when he is just singing the national anthem,  the writer gets p1ssed off by him.

It was said as a compliment. 

And we must not forget the role he plays tracking the ball as cover behind the rush defense. How often did a Japanese player guy in a Japanese jersey look like he had broken the line only to be nailed by a little **** who had no right to be there already?

I read on an Aussie site that in a position where being an irritating nuisance is a virtue, Faf is a prince amongst men. That even when he is just singing the national anthem, the writer gets p1ssed off by him.

It was said as a compliment.

And we must not forget the role he plays tracking the ball as cover behind the rush defense. How often did a Japanese player guy in a Japanese jersey look like he had broken the line only to be nailed by a little **** who had no right to be there already?

Reminds me of George Gregan. He annoyed the hell out of me, but one of the all time greats! Edited by Delarey

Fully agree with you.  Regarding Fafs kicking it was pretty clear he kicked under instruction.  His kicking changed radically in the second half from the first which indicated to me that he was instructed.  The German commentators regularly here mentioned how he manages to tackle guys much bigger than him. Goodness sake, my 12 yr old daughter is taller than him.

not sure about that, (unless you're father to an amazonian) - looks can be deceptive, he's not that small actually. 1.72m and 88kg (cobus reinach is 3cm taller and 4kg less)

6cm and 19kg more than his opponent on sunday!

Edited by Shebeen

not sure about that, (unless you're father to an amazonian) - looks can be deceptive, he's not that small actually. 1.72m and 88kg (cobus reinach is 3cm taller and 4kg less)

he is axactly the same size as me. he is a freaking monster! 

He just looks small amongst all those giants

My 12 year old is actually 1.73  ^_^  :whistling:   Luckily does not weigh 88 kg.

Hats off to Faf as he packs a punch for his size.  He reminds me of Mametsa who played for the Bulls.  Loved his play but he simply just not have the weight to tackle the big guys and often just bounced of on his tackles.

Garces and Owens to ref semi finals...guess who we got?

Peyper not considered due to 'inappropriate' photo.

Edited by hboli4

Anyone seen the video of Frans kicking it over from his own 22m  :eek:

When he was at Grey College they go Naas in for a day to help the kickers.

Frans was doing his own thing, so Naas asked him if he needed some pointers.

He said: "Nee dankie Oom, ek kan skop"

Garces and Owens to ref semi finals...guess who we got?

Peyper not considered due to 'inappropriate' photo.

? :huh: ?

Dit was bietjie dom

_109308589_peyper_fans_twitter.jpg

Can someone please explain the inappropriateness of this?

Surely he wouldn't have been selected for the Springboks game, so the fact that he had a drink with some Welsh people is moot, because it is the same game that he would be ineligible for.