Rugby World Cup 2019

Eddy Gordo

But that was how we played it at school. (ok, must admit, it was not much later than 1923 :whistling: )

The ball receiver had to be behind the guy passing it at the time he receives the ball, otherwise it was deemed forward.

I'm not that old, so i am wondering how they avoided forward pass violations when passing in contact?

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any forward movement from the chap passing to the guy receiving, was deemed forward. In contact or not.

But then again, I played wing, so seldom got the ball, forward passes or not.  :ph34r:

Any forward movement from the chap passing to the guy receiving, was deemed forward. In contact or not.

But then again, I played wing, so seldom got the ball, forward passes or not.  :ph34r:

in your earlier post, the criteria was the receiver catching the ball behind the passer. Fair enough, but in contact, the passer gets stopped dead but can still pass the ball behind him. meanwhile, the receive could end up in line with the passer, but catch the ball behind him.

was this deemed forward?

But that was how we played it at school. (ok, must admit, it was not much later than 1923 :whistling: )

The ball receiver had to be behind the guy passing it at the time he receives the ball, otherwise it was deemed forward.

that's generally the case - (and will be if both players are running at the same speed).

It's really not that hard once you know what to look for.

It's really easy to see on replays, so the TMO shouldn't get it as wrong as they do.

often people use the 22 or halfway line as a marker and think a ball has gone forward => forward pass. You can ignore them, they know not what they're talking about.

if you want to say the ball can't go forward at all, like Moridin is suggesting, then the final pass from this young flanker would have been forward (skip to 1:20 for the final move)

basically an excuse to show how long he's been on the scene for!

Ignore me, guys. I'm just an old geezer that played school rugby in the middle ages. The game has evolved in the meantime. 

http://<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thank you Roger Federer!<br><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/StrongerTogether?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#StrongerTogether</a> <a href="https://t.co/aFSCd9YfKl">pic.twitter.com/aFSCd9YfKl</a></p>— Springboks (@Springboks) <a href="

">November 3, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ignore me, guys. I'm just an old geezer that played school rugby in the middle ages. The game has evolved in the meantime. 

Yup, in my time you had to run quite a way behind your mate when he passed sothat it was not deemed forward. This new way of running alongside your mate just makes intercept tries easier I think, as the attacking player had to be offside to intercept in the old days.

But I am also just an old fart who used to play with a leather ball in a jersey knitted by my Grandma and a wit kortbroek. :whistling:

Edited by Moridin

Yup, in my time you had to run quite a way behind your mate when he passed sothat it was not deemed forward. This new way of running alongside your mate just makes intercept tries easier I think, as the attacking player had to be offside to intercept in the old days.

But I am also just an old fart who used to play with a leather ball in a jersey knitted by my Grandma and a wit kortbroek. :whistling:

Of which the bladder could be removed to patch (which was needed quite often) and when lacing it up again, care had to be taken to do it the right way, otherwise it would take the skin of your bare foot when you kicked. (ja, we played kaalvoet, in the winter and on fields that had more duwweltjies (devil thorns) than grass)  :devil:

Tsk tsk, the youngsters of today, they don't know how easy they have it.  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Edited by Wannabe

Of which the bladder could be removed to patch (which was needed quite often) and when lacing it up again, care had to be taken to do it the right way, otherwise it would take the skin of your bare foot when you kicked. (ja, we played kaalvoet, in the winter and on fields that had more duwweltjies (devil thorns) than grass)  :devil:

Tsk tsk, the youngsters of today, they don't know how easy they have it.  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Now the kids are juicing, so little okes have to deal with 100kg monsters in primary school

Tsk Tsk, Boomers had no idea how easy they had it.

Now the kids are juicing, so little okes have to deal with 100kg monsters in primary school

Tsk Tsk, Boomers had no idea how easy they had it.

The family that lives across from me has 2 sons. The one is 21 and the other must be 18 because he recently got his drivers license and is still at school. Anyway, they recently had a party at their house(maybe the 18th?). The size of all these boys was crazy. They were all wearing vests and shorts to show off all these muscles. They must have a gym at school or spend every spare minute outside of school at the gym. Then of course there is juicing added into the mix. Recipe for disaster.

The family that lives across from me has 2 sons. The one is 21 and the other must be 18 because he recently got his drivers license and is still at school. Anyway, they recently had a party at their house(maybe the 18th?). The size of all these boys was crazy. They were all wearing vests and shorts to show off all these muscles. They must have a gym at school or spend every spare minute outside of school at the gym. Then of course there is juicing added into the mix. Recipe for disaster.

And then they all die of heart attacks before they are 50, and nobody can really understand why since they are fit and active.   :whistling: