How often do you really use your GoPro?

Markellis

That built in battery is the big drawback of the Session camera. There is a somewhat unsatisfactory workaround if you hook up a power bank to the camera it will still record while charging --- cumbersome solution and of course the waterproofing is void with the door over the charging and SD slots off or open.

An interchangeable battery would make the session 5 the one to get but then GoPro knew that and so ....

PLEASE dont .....

I have a much older GoPro that has gathered lots of dust .... battery bust, yada yada ....

So I buy the GoPro Session (square thingy...), get all the mounts and harnasses and and and ...

Damn thing has a fixed built in battery !!!

Cool if you know that you want to record two DH sessions for the day ... not so much if you are doing Hermanus trails and keep on missing the nics stuff as you come around a corner, so now you leave the thing ON .... and the battery runs out before your water bottle needs a refill .... except you CAN refill your water bottle, but that camera is done for the day !!

I then bought the traditional shape GoPro in 2018, with a lots of spare batteries ....  :clap:

The GoPro lives on Maritz's bike, while I ride with the Sessions (and still missing the key bits, so this unit may well be replaced ...)

Older vs newer ....

The 2018 GoPro is mounted on the handle bars of 24'' bike with a crap shock .... still the image stabilisation WORKS !!

Friend has a 3 year old GoPro .... he is constantly complaining about the lack of stabilisation .....

Editing ..... I much prefer photo editing !!  Video editing is my least favorite thing ....  I have a year old ride of Hermanus trails that will probably never see a final edit ....  :wacko:   Using Pinacle Studio on a powerfull laptop, still the video editing often results in buffering ....

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a 3 Black. The only way to get a vaguely smooth vid is to chest mount it. I havent used it for ages until recently. The light was perfect and at 60fps it was quite watchable from a smoothness pov but I didnt crash so dead boring.filming in high contrast and dappled light conditions is a waste of time IMO. The day I rode there was high cloud and nice even light with no shadows.

My take on on the whole gopro thing is this:

1. Mine also collects dust most of the year, but that odd time i get to go do somthing cool i like having one.

2. As has been mentioned, cycling videos just look boring as hell unless the scenery is out of this world or you're an actual professional bombing down the red bull rampage course.

3. Because of this, the videos you end up with are kinda useless, theyre not the type youd wanna show people.

BUT - I've found that when i do use my gopro i most often use the setting where it takes a picture every 2 seconds. At the end of the session of whatever you were doing you scroll through and if youre lucky you end up with a few great photos. Pausing the video for a screenshot is not even close to the quality of the gopro taking actual photos. Photos are a lot more usable than video. Ive ended up with some great photos doing this.

Got a 3 Black. The only way to get a vaguely smooth vid is to chest mount it. I havent used it for ages until recently. The light was perfect and at 60fps it was quite watchable from a smoothness pov but I didnt crash so dead boring.filming in high contrast and dappled light conditions is a waste of time IMO. The day I rode there was high cloud and nice even light with no shadows.

Gimbal on my chesty

And helmet cam with hero 7 stabilization

It's gotten much better with the new cameras

My session 5 was a major step up from the hero 4

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2eixl-lE5B/?igshid=1i5ro8spsvpm6

If you are in the market for the GoPro 7 Black also consider the Dji Osmo Action, I find the Action better than the 7 Black, it can go head to head in terms of stabilisation/quality and has some other cool features. It's also not as fish eye and has the clever screw on lens.

The next GoPro 8 vs Osmo Action 2 is going to be mighty interesting.

And finally the 2018 GoPro Hero can have the GoPro 5 Black firmware loaded on it and that converters it to a fully fledged 5 Black. The hardware on the 2 cameras is identical they just hobble the firmware on the Hero. Google for download links.

The GoPro 5 black is the probably the minimum anyone should get, first GoPro with essentials like no waterproof housing needed, voice control, touch screen etc.

I have both the standard case, and the waterproof one. The only risk with using the standard case with the power bank is getting water, mud and dust into/onto the unit as it's exposed on the sides. Another disadvantage is setting the unit up as a rear facing unit - the power bank can't be used at the same time.

With the bike mount and powerbank, I'm good for about 4 hours of recording. So it's either a very big mini/micro SD card or limited time (video). 

I have both the standard case, and the waterproof one. The only risk with using the standard case with the power bank is getting water, mud and dust into/onto the unit as it's exposed on the sides. Another disadvantage is setting the unit up as a rear facing unit - the power bank can't be used at the same time.

With the bike mount and powerbank, I'm good for about 4 hours of recording. So it's either a very big mini/micro SD card or limited time (video).

How's the heat management

joining this chat late

but..

I use mine on every ride, in fact I use two ... and my phone.

I use the GoPro phone app for editing, serves my needs perfectly.

I also use them when out with my boys.

Well worth it.

Look out for some good deals soon, The Hero 8 is being launched on the first of next month, so maybe there'll be some specials.

• 2 weeks later...

Man this thing looks awesome!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh-x8kbJT5k

Their marketing videos always does!

(I never get mine anywhere close to as cool, crisp or clear as that!)

From a Hero 7 Black point of view, not much that screams I must upgrade.

"Beyond Next Level"  .... marketing mumbo! :lol: 

What is the Hero 9 going to be?

"Beyond Beyond Next Level"

"To infinity and beyond "

I used my GoPro on my travels, and it did some duty on the bike. I had a few ID10T issues with it and lost a bit of footage i thought I'd nailed... alas... but what i found it awesome for was as a walk-around camera. it does a really good job as a mik-en-druk... the output is more than good enough for my needs, and that's compared to the high-end mirrorless i lugged with me. it's a great option for when a larger camera is inappropriate.