2020 Tour de France

pista

Don't know if it over-exagerated on that profile image but it seems odd to have a sprint line on a downhill like that.

54 chainrings....? 56...?

I haven't had a look at the details of the sprint point..lemme consult the roadbook.[emoji6]

Edit

@Vetplant

From what I saw on Google earth it does look like its not too far from te summit and valley roads into town... couple of nice bends ..should be a pretty descent [emoji108]

post-39623-0-94802100-1599200021_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gen

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine sending an above average hubber on that ride - even let him draft a car and then check the stats

These guys are so conditioned that Bardets average of 97 is about the same as a brisk walk for a relatively fit person

Lanterne Rouge mentioned that Sepp Kuss rode the first 3 hours @128W Avg. That’s 2.1W/kg for him.

I’m not saying these guys aren’t superhuman but I think an average Hubber could have kept up on this stage. Maybe not at 97bpm but still pretty easily.

Yep.. it's their job to be in near perfect physical condition.

It's like taking a performance vehicle and spending 2x it's showroom price on tuning to make it faster...

I look at my tired old model of a self and realise it's an older model air-cooled VW camper. Best I can hope for is to paint flames on the side!

Lanterne Rouge mentioned that Sepp Kuss rode the first 3 hours @128W Avg. That’s 2.1W/kg for him.

I’m not saying these guys aren’t superhuman but I think an average Hubber could have kept up on this stage. Maybe not at 97bpm but still pretty easily.

While I hear you, where stats lie is efficiency, positioning and race noise.

The 'average' hubber would cause 500 crashes in most groups riding like that and would definitely have to exert themselves a helluva lot harder to stay with the bunch. They would likely also have to push closer to around 200 watts, some even more, to maintain 2.1w/kg.

Numbers and stats are one thing, but much like bikes, don't really translate back to the 'real' world.

2.1w/kg for 3 hours isn't for kids, especially when one needs to concentrate for those 3 hours as well. 

Edited by Jewbacca

The search for marginal gains in pro cycling is nothing new. However, Jumbo-Visma has been forced to look long and hard for ways to reduce the weight of their Bianchi Oltre XR4 bikes, which released in 2016, are no longer quite as slimline as they were upon their launch. Enter the ‘no name’ wheels, used primarily on the team’s climbing machines.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/why-are-jumbo-visma-using-unbranded-wheels-in-this-years-tour-de-france-466205

Which stage are you referring to? The flat one (S5) or the flat part of S6?

The average Hubber will not be able to keep up. These guys averaged 42Km/h for both stages, which is mostly achievable by the Elites, Vets and possible A-bunch riders.

While I hear you, where stats lie is efficiency, positioning and race noise.

The 'average' hubber would cause 500 crashes in most groups riding like that and would definitely have to exert themselves a helluva lot harder to stay with the bunch. They would likely also have to push closer to around 200 watts, some even more, to maintain 2.1w/kg.

Numbers and stats are one thing, but much like bikes, don't really translate back to the 'real' world.

2.1w/kg for 3 hours isn't for kids, especially when one needs to concentrate for those 3 hours as well.

Stress, crashes and amateur hour aside - if you're in decent shape 2.1w/kg is warm up effort...

For the numbers people.

Roche yesterday-

The Irish cyclist, 36-years-old and weighing 71kg, started the breakaway and that attack of his saw him generate 505 watts for five minutes when he initially made his move that the others followed.

As the breakaway formed and the peloton chased them for a while, Roche averaged over 400 watts for that 20-minute period.

That’s a very significant effort considering it was at the start of the stage with so many kilometres to come and a brace of tough climbs awaiting the riders at the end of the day.

His peak one-minute power period saw him generate 650 watts

and he did just under 600 watts for two minutes.

For one six-minute period he did 480 watts and aside from

doing just over 400 watts for 20 minutes at the start of the stage he also did

370 watts for 30 minutes.

One 60-minute period during the stage saw him generate an average of 350 watts. And during one three-hour period, during his 4hr 40min stage, he generated an average of 300 watts.

Clearly you have not seen the average hubber.

For the numbers people.

Roche yesterday-

The Irish cyclist, 36-years-old and weighing 71kg, started the breakaway and that attack of his saw him generate 505 watts for five minutes when he initially made his move that the others followed.

As the breakaway formed and the peloton chased them for a while, Roche averaged over 400 watts for that 20-minute period.

That’s a very significant effort considering it was at the start of the stage with so many kilometres to come and a brace of tough climbs awaiting the riders at the end of the day.

One 60-minute period during the stage saw him generate an average of 350 watts. And during one three-hour period, during his 4hr 40min stage, he generated an average of 300 watts.

And he still got shelled by the break he initiated.

Looks like Sep Kuss weighs about the same as me.

With regard to Sep Kuss, Dumoulin said "He is a really nice guy. Super friendly. He is not really American, though." Asked to elaborate by the reporter, and he said "He doesn't have a big mouth." Glad to hear Sep is representing the US well.

That cracks me up.

Awesome info. Thanks. Those watts are insane.

For the numbers people.
Roche yesterday-